DV3322 vs Audiotailor Jade
Mar 6, 2010 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dBs

100+ Head-Fier
I've been scouring on where to put some hard earned money. At this point I believe I've narrowed it down between the Darkvoice 3322, the Audiotailor Jade, or a used 337 (if it's possible to be lucky enough to find one in the $400 range). I looked for any comparisons between the two. I do know that the Jade is a bit more rare around here but the reviews for it by esteemed members have been raving. The 3322 is significantly more common. I haven't seen much mentioned comparing the two. Guessing no one has had the fortune to hear them both yet, but if anyone has, I would certainly love to know the impressions.

I plan to use my HD650s, DT770s, and maybe one day K701s. I will be using an Audio GD Compass DAC to feed the chosen amp. I'm also near the LA area if anyone happens to own any of these and doesn't mind meeting little ol me =D.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 23
I've the 3322 and the JADE'S bigger brother the HM-1. I would put both on the same level, though they're different in presentation. The 3322 is a dynamic amp, more SS than tube in character, with a superbly open midrange and bass. The HM-1 is more laid back and organic in its presentation.

I know I'm going to get criticised for this, but I'd say the 3322 was the better amp, simply because the 3322 and the HM-1 are pretty much even in terms of performance.

Tube-wise the 3322's tubes are easier and cheaper to get. The 6J1 has plenty of high quality western alternatives and the 6S19 has two superb Russian equivalents. The HM-1 uses one 12AX7, a great tube but NOS versions are horrendously expensive, and the three 6N6Ps are widely available but not that much better than the stock tubes. The 6H30P-DR "supertube" can be bought, but again very expensive. The 6N6 can be interchanged with the 6922/ECC88/6DJ8/6N23P family of tubes, but haven't tried them yet.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 23
Great response and very insightful. I am looking for more of the tubey sound as my Compass is already a very good amp for delivering the SS sound (also good for low impedance headphones). I would think that with tube swapping, you have the ability to add a more tubey sound to the 3322? Ultimately, that's part of why I've narrowed it down as I have, I do want that tube rolling ability. It's one of the reasons I have the Compass, as I can put in the Sun, Moon, Earth and/or change around some jumpers. Use the DAC of the Compass into a nice tube rolling amp and I have an amazing amount of permutations that I can play with.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 23
The character of the sound can be altered by the use of different tubes, but it can't be changed. To get a more tube-like sound with the 3322, you need to try something like a MULLARD EF95 or the higher quality M8100/CV4010, alongside the SVETLANA 6S19P or again the higher quality 6S19P-V. Both these tubes possess a warm, rich and organic sound, with a wonderfully open midrange - perfect tube sound really. Another good tube is the TUNG-SOL 6AK5W, especially the 1950s NOS version. Sublime.

It's important to remember that the 3322 works best with high impedance cans like the HD650s. It sound OK with low impedances, but can sound a bit harsh at times. In this respect, the JADE is probably a better all rounder.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 23
All my main phones right now are high impedance so that's not a major worry. Like I said, I can still use my Compass for low impedance amplification if I ever get some headphones like that. Mostly they would be for portable applications anyway and so would be destined for my Mini3.

I'll look into your recommended tubes to snag some as I will be ordering the amp probably this week some time.

Boyier, please keep it at $400 for me
atsmile.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 23
Well this has been a fun 1 on 1 dialog XD Guess I could have just PMed it.

Now I am wondering if maybe I should go for the throat and just jump to the 337. Got my first job out of college and have a lot of my most immediate debt paid off so I actually have some money now for the first time in my life. Been used to saying "OK, what's the best I can afford at a set x limit?". Now I have the luxury of actually asking "what would be the best purchase in the long run?". Price is finally the secondary consideration XD Think the 337 would be a smarter buy in the long run as its more of a flagship model? I'd be all over one if I could find a good used one but there haven't been any of those in a while.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 23
When the 3322's predecessor, the 332, was released it was branded by DV as the "little 337," meaning that technically and soncially it strongly resembled the 337. The 3322 is better than the 332, so it'll will give you even more of the greatness of 337. For those that have heard both, the 332 offered you around 95% of the sound quality of the 337 for a much lower price. The 3322 will offer you more than that.

The 337 is the better amp, no doubt about it. But whether you want to spend the extra money to get 5% better sound quality only you can answer. It's the curse all audiophiles suffer from. That 5% will probably give you better separation, deeper bass and a more detailed midrange and treble. So if money's not an option, I'd say if you can find a good second hand 337, then go for it. But are you willing to wait for that extra 5%.

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 23
Yea, now I'm seeing that used WA2 in the for sale forum only a few hour drive away. With shipping costs/time considered, that may be the cheaper route. Almost no comparisons have been done between the 337 and the WA2 though. Generally, I would be more inclined for the 337 due to the tubes and the nature of the sound, but you can't deny the convenience of a manufacturer/designer in your own country.

Bah! College never prepared me for these real world problems! lol.

Hey! Made 300.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 23
The 337 would be a better amp than the WA2, much more comparible to a maxed out WA6. Gradofan had both the DV332 and WA6, and he said the 332 came very close, again about 95%. God, I sound like a mathematician!
redface.gif

The WOO AUDIO amps are gorgeous though.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this has been a fun 1 on 1 dialog XD

Hehe, unfortunately I can't help much, but maybe it'll be more helpful than not writing anything at all.

I was in the same situation as you, wondering which Darkvoice amp would be the best to buy. I ended up buying the one that I couldn't quite afford
wink_face.gif
You know, set an upper price limit then see something just above that limit that's supposed to be a little better!

I've only owned one previous amp (Musical Fidelity X-Can) so I can't offer a comparison. But I can give you my thoughts on how I think it sounds with my HD600s. Bear in mind that the HD650s will be different to this, but possibly not too dissimilar.

Overall sound: Detailed. Good high frequency extension. Very controlled bass, but bass tails off in volume on the HD600s as it gets deeper. I suspect that the HD650s would sound just great in the bass department. In fact, I've got to make a point of listening to a pair at some point. Punchy sound. Sometimes sounds a little lean, but then you play a good recording and it all comes to life again, so I guess it's just because it's revealing (transparent?).

Treble: Fairly sweet (in a good way), sounding natural and extending to upper frequencies nicely. For example cymbals sound crisp (like "tssst", not "shish"). The high frequency intro to "Free" by Deniece Williams sounds airy and sweet.

Midrange: Vocals sound very natural, and female vocals in particular sound incredibly nice. "It's A Fine Day" by Jane gets played regularly. Her vocals sound so lifelike. You can hear the tiniest of details: The mixer level gets changed near the beginning, something lightly brushes the microphone through the song, and you can even hear a band start up with a female vocalist in a nearby recording room! I hadn't heard any of this before the Darkvoice. Acoustic guitars sound natural and detailed. I'm not so keen on the sound electric guitars on it for some reason, they sound a little distant. Certainly nowhere near bad, but not in the same league as the rest of the sound.

Bass: Very tight, discernible notes. As the bass gets lower the volume tails off. As noted before this is probably the HD600s, and the HD650s should sound "fuller".

I'm extremely pleased with it. Unfortunately I can't compare it to any of their other models, but if the 3322 offers more than 95% of its performance then I have a strong suspicion you will not be at all disappointed with the 3322, and it would be a relative bargain.

I had a great experience buying from Boyier as well.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 337 would be a better amp than the WA2, much more comparible to a maxed out WA6. Gradofan had both the DV332 and WA6, and he said the 332 came very close, again about 95%. God, I sound like a mathematician!
redface.gif

The WOO AUDIO amps are gorgeous though.

You be a mathematician all you want. I loooove math. Got a minor in it so math away!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonshowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm extremely pleased with it. Unfortunately I can't compare it to any of their other models, but if the 3322 offers more than 95% of its performance then I have a strong suspicion you will not be at all disappointed with the 3322, and it would be a relative bargain.

That was informative, thank you.

I think I'm back to the original debate. The WA2 was more of a "what if", but that whimsy ultimately just put me back to the original debate. I have shipping price inquiries to boyier and head-direct. Unfortunately, head-direct does not have the 337, but they both have the 3322. One is slightly more than the other but the difference in shipping will probably erode that margin quickly. I think I will be trying to order today.

Researching into these has me wanting to design an amp from scratch again. Their circuit diagrams certainly don't seem very complex and the underlying theories weren't too bad from the books I've read. I'll have to think about maybe whipping something up.

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 23
The 337 is a universally adored amp and some of the most respected reviewers here still rever it abilities, and rank it highly amongst the best headphone amps ever built. The 3322 is a great amp also, although the owners are a more dedicated small band, like myself.
wink.gif

It is also worth remembering that LA FIGARO make a version of the 3322 - the 332S. DV and LA FIGARO were formed when the two brothers who owned DV split: one stayed with DV the other started LA FIGARO. From those who have bought the LA FIGARO, opinions are mixed: great sounding amp, but some technical issues, mainly humming. Seems the 332S is very sensitive to what tubes you use. Good thing is the 3322 is deadly quiet, and doesn't really care what tubes you put into it.

However, if you buy the 3322, don't be disappointed with the sound when it comes out of the box. It takes an age to burn in: about 100 hrs or so before it's sounding at its best.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 23
I have a 332S and the Jade (i had a DV 332 before) and my vote on SQ alone would be the 332/332S over the Jade. It just has tha tlittle extra quality in sound presence. However the 331S is a fussy bugger tube wise, i'm still not happy with background hum, but its a great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back