DV 336i broken my K701's?
Feb 5, 2008 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

fl00r

100+ Head-Fier
To make a long story short: I rolled tubes on my newly acquired DV336i, switched the amp on with my K701 plugged in and there was a very nasty noise coming from the left cup. Now the sound of left channel is very soft. The right driver is functioning OK.
I guess there was some sort of peak voltage that ruined the driver?

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 44
Happens to my old PK-1 & Xin SM3 v6 amp, my left driver volume become softer, and right one still normal.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 44
Check the tube, can be dead. Otherwise check FS forum for my Aspen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl00r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To make a long story short: I rolled tubes on my newly acquired DV336i, switched the amp on with my K701 plugged in and there was a very nasty noise coming from the left cup. Now the sound of left channel is very soft. The right driver is functioning OK.
I guess there was some sort of peak voltage that ruined the driver?

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first try to isolate the problem, perhaps try another source to see if the amp is off-balance

Apparently there's nothing wrong with the amp because I tried another headphone and inears without a flaw, same source, same tube.

Quote:

Happens to my old PK-1 & Xin SM3 v6 amp, my left driver volume become softer, and right one still normal.

What happend after? I hope they can reanimate my K701's......

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Apparently there's nothing wrong with the amp because I tried another headphone and inears without a flaw, same source, same tube...

I would roll back to the old tubes anyway, and try again. The 701s are pretty demanding headphones. I'm thinking that another headphone might work fine with a 'marginal' tube but the more hungry 701s might bring out the worst in such a tube. Worth a shot, IMO.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 44
Read what he said, it's not the amp. The 701s may be slightly hard to drive, but one side will not sound different from the other side in a working pair. Apparently a surge ruined them.

Dave

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 44
How can you tell a faulty tube from a good one?

I notice the 'killer-tube' (a 6080) giving some sparkles for a moment (in the bottom of the tube) when I power up the amp. I am just a beginner when it comes to tube-amps and don't know whether this is normal behavior.

Thanks for your concerns.

Ben

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 44
To much noise, one chanel weaker or cracking...

Quote:

How can you tell a faulty tube from a good one?

I notice the 'killer-tube' (a 6080) giving some sparkles for a moment (in the bottom of the tube) when I power up the amp. I am just a beginner when it comes to tube-amps and don't know whether this is normal behavior.

Thanks for your concerns.

Ben

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To much noise, one chanel weaker or cracking...

Well the left channel was definitely cracking.
I find it surprising that there is no such thing as a fuse to protect from a surge.

Nothing left to do than cross my fingers and hope for a good customer service from AKG.

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Well the left channel was definitely cracking.
I find it surprising that there is no such thing as a fuse to protect from a surge.

Nothing left to do than cross my fingers and hope for a good customer service from AKG.

Sparkling tubes are not a good sign. Change tubes before sending your hps out.

In the future, turn your volume knob off when powering up/down an amp.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 44
Heh, yeah first thing I would try is swap the tubes back. I had a crackling problem with my power tube, also thought it had a slight volume balance problem. Put in a new good one and it works great !

I don't think your supposed to see sparkles inside your tube.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

The sparks are caused by the tube arcing over, in other words, the tube is a goner. Replace it before it has a chance to damage your amp or your other headphones.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 44
I hate to be captain obvious here, but have you tried plugging the K701s into another source to be sure it's the K701s that are damaged?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back