Dusting off my MD player. Easiest way to copy CD->MD.
Aug 2, 2006 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KevC

100+ Head-Fier
Heya,

I tired of lugging my 3G ipod and don't have the cash to run out and buy a nano. I just remebered having a (relatively) high end MD player.

Sony MZ-N10. But it's broken. At least the ridiculously buggy software that come with it cannot write digitally (atrac) to MD.

I figure I can still use the optical in and record in real time.

Can somebody link/tell me some information regarding 24/96 (or whatever 'good quality that this MD is capable of) recording from CD to MD? I have my AV710 that does digital, and the MD Player has optical in.

I don't know anything about MD technology. All I'm really interested in is having track markers and maybe track titles. I have a ton of MDs so I don't mind having a CD copy in MD form, don't need any ATRAC compression. Makes things easier that way anyway.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 12
Bit offtopic. Although I never used Sonicstage with a NetMD, did you try the new SonicStage CP 4.0? It actually has become quite competent. Maybe it may work now with your MD recorder.

Aug 2, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
Heya,

Sony MZ-N10. But it's broken. At least the ridiculously buggy software that come with it cannot write digitally (atrac) to MD.

I figure I can still use the optical in and record in real time.

....I don't know anything about MD technology. All I'm really interested in is having track markers and maybe track titles. I have a ton of MDs so I don't mind having a CD copy in MD form, don't need any ATRAC compression. Makes things easier that way anyway.

Download Sonicstage 4.0 it will probably resolve the problems you were having with the unit. The MZ-N10 cannot record in anything but ATRAC. If you record in SP mode the sound is excellent. Here is a link to the MD forum

http://www.audiotstation.com/forum/index.php?

Any questions you have can be answered there.

Aug 2, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 12
NetMD's can only handle ATRAC. The best ATRAC is SP (292kps) and the only way to get that on is in real time. The best way to do this is optically from your CD. When I used to do this from my CD player it used to put the track marks in correctly. Doing it from a soundcard on a PC doesn't always. There are ways around that though.

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 12
I agree with Sparky - I would definately just go with the optical out into the MD recorder. I have the same model that you do, which I think is one of the better designs of the original MD Players/Recorders (and one of the few models with the Mic input, which is why I bought it).
Anyways, to go directly to MD from CD , start by making sure that you are recording in SP (I would presume that that is what you want judging by the earlier threads). Do so by pushing down on the scroll wheel to take you to the menu. Scroll down until you get to REC SET; push the scroll wheel again (enter); next it will say REC MODE; Enter; if SP is blinking, simply hit Enter again, if not, scroll until SP is blinking and then hit enter. After that is done you will need to go back to the Menu, and then scroll back down If it isn't already higlighted/blinking) to REC SET; Enter. Scroll down to SYNC REC; Enter; if SYNC ON is blinking, hit enter, if not scroll to select it and then hit enter. Next, plug your optical cable into the MD Recorder, and then slide the record button; then hit play on your CD Player. It should start recording once it detects the signal from the CD Player, and will also automatically detect the breaks in the tracks. I'm sorry that this sounds so "layman" I just wanted it to be as comprehensive and user-friendly as possible. Hope that this helps, and feel free to PM me if you need any other info. Good listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon
I agree with Sparky - I would definately just go with the optical out into the MD recorder. I have the same model that you do, which I think is one of the better designs of the original MD Players/Recorders (and one of the few models with the Mic input, which is why I bought it).
Anyways, to go directly to MD from CD , start by making sure that you are recording in SP (I would presume that that is what you want judging by the earlier threads). Do so by pushing down on the scroll wheel to take you to the menu. Scroll down until you get to REC SET; push the scroll wheel again (enter); next it will say REC MODE; Enter; if SP is blinking, simply hit Enter again, if not, scroll until SP is blinking and then hit enter. After that is done you will need to go back to the Menu, and then scroll back down If it isn't already higlighted/blinking) to REC SET; Enter. Scroll down to SYNC REC; Enter; if SYNC ON is blinking, hit enter, if not scroll to select it and then hit enter. Next, plug your optical cable into the MD Recorder, and then slide the record button; then hit play on your CD Player. It should start recording once it detects the signal from the CD Player, and will also automatically detect the breaks in the tracks. I'm sorry that this sounds so "layman" I just wanted it to be as comprehensive and user-friendly as possible. Hope that this helps, and feel free to PM me if you need any other info. Good listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you! No way it was too layman, I'm the most layman person ever so the most OBVIOUS and painstakingly *stupid* explaination would be much appreciated. Hehe. I don't mind being condescended upon (if you can even use that word that way haha)

I can't wait to get back home and try it. I'll be using optical out from my AV710, it should be essentially the same right?

I can also record into LP2/LP4 this way? Maybe play MP3s in real time then have it record? hehe

//edit: I just noticed that you have the LDM+ with the MZ-N10. I'm thinking of picking it up. $70 is quite a steal if it really shines. However, does the MZ-N10 have a true line-out? it seems like it just fixes the headphone jack to a certain volume. Thoughts? Worth it? Is the MZ-N10 w/o an amp too weak to drive decent headphones?

Will be using it with a pair of K81DJs

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

I can't wait to get back home and try it. I'll be using optical out from my AV710, it should be essentially the same right?

I can also record into LP2/LP4 this way? Maybe play MP3s in real time then have it record? hehe...

Except for track marks its the same.

You're mp3's are already compressed, recording them into LP2/LP4 is compressing them still further. I can't imagine that will sound good.

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon
I agree with Sparky - I would definately just go with the optical out into the MD recorder. I have the same model that you do, which I think is one of the better designs of the original MD Players/Recorders (and o
ne of the few models with the Mic input, which is why I bought it). ...

I thought pretty much all MD's have mic imput. Theres a few download only models but I thought there was only a couple of them.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

However, does the MZ-N10 have a true line-out? it seems like it just fixes the headphone jack to a certain volume.

no. one portable MD recorder that has a true line-out that comes to mind is the legendary MZ-R50. it's seperate from the headphone-out; if that's what you mean
smily_headphones1.gif
(plus on all accounts state that the R50s line-out signal is cleaner than a combined line-out.)

if you want the best sound possible out of a legacy MD recorder, SP is the only way to go. transcoding an mp3 file to ATRAC is a no-no. as sparky said, you're compressing an already compressed file to another compressed format. indeed, i can imagine a big drop in SQ.

the problem w/ SonicStage is that for NetMD users, transfers in True SP are still a pipe dream.

enjoi getting re-acquainted w/ the N10. (aesthetically, i didn't like the N10 (as i previously owned it))

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 12
First off, thanks very much for the thanks (as redundant as that sounds). It was my pleasure, and I'm glad that I could help
smily_headphones1.gif

In regards to putting MP3 to LP2 or 4, I wouldn't do it. It will be VERY compressed and sound even worse than regular MP3's. If you really do want to record something in LP2 or LP4 to get more usage of the disc (put more on it), I would recommend recording a regular CD real time to the compressed format. Remember that in doing so, however, you are sacrificing quality for quanitity.
In other news, I don't believe that the line out function does much more than level out the headphone sound and stop the "BEEP" that Sony products are famous for. I use the regular headphone out on my MD and usually keep it set at around 26-28. This way I can still use the equalizer if I want to.
In regards to the usage of a headphone amplifier, I don't think that you would really need it. The K81DJ's are low impedence headphones, and are designed to be easily driven (they are 32 ohms, meaning that it takes 32 ohms of power to get them to function the way that they are designed to). The headphone out on the MZ-N10 will work these quite nicely without the need for additional amplification. I picked up the LDM+ after much debate between that and the PA2V2, knowing that I was going to be picking up a pair of high impedence closed 'phones. They're both around the same price range (LDM+ and PA2V2), but being a musician who is out and about a lot I needed something that was pretty durable, and the LDM+ seemed/seems to fit the bill, being made of all metal as opposed to all plastic.
In terms of power, I have the power hungry 4AAT's which consume 250 ohms, and I can hear them alright when just plugging them into the MD player. However, I find that the amp helps to fill them out very nicly, adding a bit more separation to the sound and as much of a soundstage as is possible with closed cans:p All in all, if you are planning on getting a set of headphones with a higher power consumption, I would recommend getting the amp, but if you're using the K81's, you'll do great without it as well. Take care and good listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 12
Ok I finally got my optical cable, and figured out how to record with my MZ-N10 (it wont take 192k haha just realized that).

I play my music using iTunes but the second delay between the tracks isn't long enough for the MZ-N10 to put a track marker. Is there a way to extend the delay between the tracks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back