Dust dust dust--should I be cleaning my headphones?
Aug 8, 2007 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I live in dust hell, Southern California. For those who aren't from this area, it's almost impossible to keep dust out of your house if you have carpeted floors. Since seeing the amount of dust that jumps onto my LPs, I've put 2 air filters in my room and swept the floor every night and it's still pretty bad.

Given how dusty it is, should I be taking my headphones apart and cleaning them out in the same manner as my computer? I'm a bit wary of breaking them apart, but I'll manage if that's what it takes to keep them sounding tip-top.

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 13
This is what I use.

As it turns out that was a great investment. I use it on everything from computer keyboards to electronics, to my knife collection, you name it. I also use it to (very gently) dust out my headphones. And I am able to do it with my open phones without taking them apart.

You can easily regulate the air that is blown out of it. But be very gentle when using it with headphones. I have had great results with it. Since there probably is some potential to damage your headphones with it, use at your own risk.

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 13
I just dust the out side of mine with a cloth and put them way when I am not using them.

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I use.
Since there probably is some potential to damage your headphones with it, use at your own risk.

So it's not a situation like my old Klipsch speakers, where you could take the cones out, dribble them around a basketball court for a while, and then put them back in without noticing a difference in sound?

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just dust the out side of mine with a cloth and put them way when I am not using them.

That's what I do with my ATH-W2002 since I don't get them out often, but putting the HD650s in and out of a box is a lot of work
frown.gif
. Yes, I am a lazy American... glory, glory, hallelueja
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 13
In general I usually put the cans that I don't use often back into their box or carrying case so they don't get covered in dust. The cans that I do use most often, I lay a towel over them to minimize dust accumulation on them. When I do dust my cans, I use a micro fiber cloth (similar to the ones used to detail cars) to wipe them down.

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 13
I buy used and vintage headphones from all over the US and western europe, and i've never seen dust on the inside.

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I buy used and vintage headphones from all over the US and western europe, and i've never seen dust on the inside.

That's the answer I was looking for! So they're kind of like the inside of a speaker box--there can be lots of dust on the outside of the drivers and still nothing gumming up the works?

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But my HD595 is open ! Dusts can go in it
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But my HD595 is open ! Dusts can go in it
frown.gif

You mean there's no fabric lining on the grille?

Even my circa 1980 Beyerdynamic DT-880 Studio - which is an order or magnitude more open than the current DT-990 - was entirely clean on the inside, owing to a disc of wispy nonwoven fabric over the inside of the back of the earcup.

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 13
I am pretty sure dust is only a problem for electrostatic headphones (which tend to attract it).

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pretty sure dust is only a problem for electrostatic headphones (which tend to attract it).

But which have integral dust covers to prevent it.

Stax & Sony put the dust covers on the outside of the driver - the material looks suspiciously like a condom but it's not tensioned.

Koss, since they have to do everything different, puts the dust covers on the inside. Which i guess is ok because the front stator is grounded in koss 'stats. Old ones at least.

Dunno how audio-technica or sennheiser did it.

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 13
hi all!!! hmm.. what about Grados then? well no dust in my SR60s but i heard and read reviews about the 325i collecting alot alot of dust. how to clean that then?? haha i'm Singapore by the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back