DUST!!!! BAAAH!
Mar 3, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #16 of 22
clean your air
tongue.gif
. get that one sharper image thingy that cleans your house.

Mar 4, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #17 of 22
Swiffer works for me. I just use the sheets like a napkin and handwipe stuff, and it traps a lot of dust. Great stuff!

Also, as Ch1nkster mentions, the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze. Works fairly well. Although mine keeps making weird buzzing sounds despite cleaning.. I think the wire's loose or something...

Mar 4, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
A problem I have is the fact that I keep my tissues right on my desk with my computer lies underneath,

Note to self:
Buy box of tissues for putting next to computer so that I don't have to run to the bathroom next time.

On a more serious note, there's no substitute for regular vacuuming with a HEPA filtering cleaner.

Mar 4, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #19 of 22
One idea is to use a HEPA filter sans HEPA filter. By that I mean that you can use the carbon filter or the dust screen without the added expense of the HEPA filter. Those dust screens filter out a good percentage of dust, and with a quick rinse come clean and are ready for reuse.

Another idea is change the central air filter monthly, or use a really fine mesh to catch more dust. I like the idea of having the ducts professionally cleaned. Tons of dust inside those ducts, and every time the air comes on it just redistributes it around the house.

Mar 4, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #20 of 22
Several approaches to this one.

1. Dust covers for stuff you use.
Keep stuff you don't sealed in a covered container like it's box.

2. Vaccum clean regularly.
Once to twice a week minimum. DO replace the filters and bags as required.

3. Use a real HEPA filter.
The best quiet ones I've tried are IQAir HealthPro and BlueAir. IQAir ones are better, but they are more expensive too. Stay away from Sharper Image Ionic Breeze crap. They put out ozone. I tried the Ionic Breeze before, and it made me sick. They do jack squat to clean the air, they are odor neutralizers, NOT filters. It's simple physics. The Ionic Breezes do not move enough air to clean anything. If you really are concerned with removing cooking odors and smoke, the HealthPro Plus model has active charcoal filtration for gas filtration.

4. Take a Shower regularly.
Yes, it's gross but true. Skin cell flakes are everywhere, along with dust mite poo poo. Yikes.

-Ed

Mar 4, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
Swiffer works for me. I just use the sheets like a napkin and handwipe stuff, and it traps a lot of dust. Great stuff!

Also, as Ch1nkster mentions, the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze. Works fairly well. Although mine keeps making weird buzzing sounds despite cleaning.. I think the wire's loose or something...

Unplug your Ionic Breeze. Flip it upside down and then right side up. You'll hear something slide up and down. It's a bead on the wires that Sharper Image put on newer units to clean the problematic wires. The wires get dirty and start arching electricity.

Do this a couple times if the buzzing/crackling is still there. Be gentle, the wires are not that sturdy.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back