during the holidays will you avoid drinking and driving?
Dec 15, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
I feel for you, bud; what a depressing outlook! Fortunately, I got all the family visit pain out of the way and will be spending quiet Christmas and New Years with SWMBO and the spaniels. Amid the many bosoms of my family.
icon10.gif

Lucky you Pa. Enjoy your Xmas and have a drink for me, okay?
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 30
I'm seriously going to do my best to avoid drinking this Christmas, it's usually just a big excuse to drink myself stupid all day and night so this year I'm going to abstain completely if I can find the willpower. Last year I was up at 7am preparing the Christmas dinner and started on the beer at 7:30am by 3pm I was staggering all over the kitchen..... not fun
frown.gif

No way will I be drinking and driving..... no way.

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #19 of 30
I only drink a couple of times a year, and even then only very little. I just don't like the taste of alcohol, and I've tried quite a few different kinds, beer is the worst for me. I'm 34 years old and have never been drunk in my life, heck, I don't think I've even had a good buzz since I was 17 or 18.

I love driving (I also race cars in the warmer months), and I'm not sure I would trust my judgement not to drive if I ever got drunk, and I surely wouldn't want to lose my license over something as meaningless as a few moments of drunken stupidity.

-Keith

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #20 of 30
Don't think I'll even drink at all this year, maybe a beer or two at home.

reminds me of a saying we used to have in high school:

"Don't drink and drive.....drink, THEN drive"
icon10.gif

As for me, I'll be spending Xmas alone. It's OK, though; we have a big project at work, so I'm putting in extra time, I'm Jewish and don't celebrate Xmas, and I've avoided a trip to the in-laws by HAVING so much work. My wife and son will be away almost a week. THAT'S the only tough part.

Wish you all a great [generic] holiday season and new year!!

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 30
I'll probably drink in moderation this holiday season but will definitely not drink and drive. I always have a friend with me who doesn't drink and is the designated driver. I've been caught for DUI once before in my younger days when I was alot stupider and didn't think about the consequences of my actions.

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 30
I have to drive between my house, my parents and my in-laws on the 24th. An hour and a half trip from each to each. I'll start drinking when I reach my final destination: the in-laws. They tend to stock the good stuff, so thats OK.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #23 of 30
Even if you don't drink and drive - be careful when you walk along the road and when you cross the road.

Other than alcohol, what would be an exotic drink to have? Perhaps some pricey tea or coffee. If you can get seseme seeds you can ground them up to near powder levels, mix with water and a little sugar. The Spanish call it "Ajonjoli".

Recipe:
Fill blender with water. Put in 1/2 cup of "Ajoli" (pronouned A-ho-lee)
Blend until it looks like milk.
Strain into container. Refrigerate.
Serve over ice.

Finding really good Tamarind juice is hard.

Any other exquiste or exotic drinks out there? They're usually ethnic drinks.

Anyone make really good hot apple cider, perhaps with a stick of cinnamon?

Dec 15, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #24 of 30
wallijonn, you should start a thread on non-alcoholic drinks for the holidays.

I don't drink hardly at all. I doubt that I will have an occasion to drink during this holiday season. I most assuredly would not drive if I did drink. In fact I don't like the idea of driving or being on the streets this time of year when the number of possible drunk drivers is highest.

My motto is stay in the house, don't leave the car parked at the curb.
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #25 of 30
What do the holidays have to do with drinking and driving?

Avoid it year round.

I have a good group of drinking buddies and we always DD. Drinking is fun. Drinking and driving is for idiots.

Dec 15, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #26 of 30
I never drink at Christmas. Now New Year's Eve is a different story.... but I never drink and drive. Very simple rule.

Dec 16, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
I read that more Americans die on December 25 and 26 than on any other day. And the reason is not suicide, since someone always brings that up. I don't know if drunken driving is one of the reasons, but I wouldn't be surprised. As on the other 364 days of the year, any reasonable person should know better.

And I read somewhere that there's a significant rise in family murders during the Yuletide season.

Spend a safe and sane holiday -- among strangers.

BW

Dec 17, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Even if you don't drink and drive - be careful when you walk along the road and when you cross the road.

Other than alcohol, what would be an exotic drink to have? Perhaps some pricey tea or coffee. If you can get seseme seeds you can ground them up to near powder levels, mix with water and a little sugar. The Spanish call it "Ajonjoli".

Recipe:
Fill blender with water. Put in 1/2 cup of "Ajoli" (pronouned A-ho-lee)
Blend until it looks like milk.
Strain into container. Refrigerate.
Serve over ice.

It's called "horchata" (orrshata). Mi kid loves it and they even Kool Aid sells it down here. Great for hot days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back