Durable set of headphones
Sep 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zeoniks

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a really durable and set of headphones. I've gone through too many headphones within the past few months due to snags in the gym.

A friend of mine has a pair of Philips headphones which has a reinforced cable and a yank proof cord (Philips - Neckband Headphones SHS5200/27 - Headphones - Headphones - Accessories). I really like this set of headphones, however I'm looking for something with better sound quality. I'm considering spending some money on the PMX80, however it is a bit expensive and I'm going to be annoyed if I break another set of headphones.

So any recommendations?

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 3
It's a nice idea, but I'm not really sure how many companies have actually implemented anything like that or like a quick release mechanism. You could of course mimic what they did using a rubber band, small elastic band, or similar.

Are you bound to full headphones? I'm just curious because a set of buds or IEMs will more readily pop out of your ear if snagged rather then damage the cord, especially if you stick to a simple single flange tip or a softer foam. Once you step into some of the higher end models, they even have detachable cords for such things.

A quote from another thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Gatto,

They don't break any more often than others. In fact, they are usualy higher quality and therefore last longer Generaly regular rubber coated permant cords are three wires (a single ground and a right and left )all sealed in one rubber tube. High end detachables are twisted pairs meeting at the "Y" and then becoming a triple twisted set of wires to the plug with seperate coating on each wire.

Detachables just make it easier for you to replace them yourself. If you work-out alot or run or jog it can be hard on the cords. Most high end IEM's have detachable cords but many companies like, Hearyourself.com offer models that have either permanent or detachable.
If you do break the permanent cord you would have to send them back to be repaired or get new earphones. Custom molded in-ears are way too expensive to toss, so most people who pay that much for their IEM's opt for replaceable cords. And professional artists wouldn't want to be without them while they were off getting new cords.
Also with sealed in-ear customs the outside sound attenuation is so good that sound from the rubber cord rubbing against your neck of clothes can be distracting. Most high end detachable cords are less rubbery and make less noise when they rub against you.

I know Ultimate Ears and Sleek Audio both use detachable cords as well as some Sennheisser. Sleek Audio also has a wireless option, but it's pricey.
Sleek Wireless | Sleek Audio

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 3
I really like in-ear buds, but many times one of the earbuds will go out after a couple of months of use. There are a few times where I yanked the cord out of the jack. Replaceable ones are nice. I want to keep my budget to around $30 so are there any specific models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back