Durable in ear headphones for subway/walking for under 200
Oct 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mackworth

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a new pair of in ear headphones.  I have about a 15 minute walk to the subway, and about a 25-30 minute subway ride to work, so I need something that can withstand it getting caught on something on the subway or jammed in my pocket.  It probably wouldn't hurt if it could waistband a little bit of weather.  Because I will be on the subway, I need something that will create a good seal and be comfortable so I can't hear anything.  I will probably use them when I fly a couple times a year also.

Previous headphones owned:  

UE600vi - great fit and ok sound, but I went through 4 of them because they aren't very durable
Apple in ear - Could never get a good seal that would stay in place
UE Triple.Fi -  Great sound, but I really wish the cord had volume control/mic (still own these)
Nuforce 700 - Could never get a good seal that would stay in place, they seamed too heavy

Requirements:

Full Sound, not too much bass
Durable
Great isolation
Must be able to wear over the ear
Must have headset controls/mic
Weather sealing a plus
Replaceable cord a plus

Things I will be listening to:

iPhone 5s (no amp) - Talk radio, Podcasts of talk radio, Spotify (extreme quality which I believe is 256 AAC)
iPad mini (no amp) - Movies

What I looked at:

Shure E215 plus UE900 cable - Seems like it would provide a decent fit.  The reviews for the mix cable are awful, so I I would be getting the UE cable for it instead.  But then I am thinking if it's a replaceable cable, why not upgrade to the E315s.

Westone W1 - Seems like it would provide a decent fit but doesn't have headset controls.  Would need to get the UE cable for it too, since I believe it uses the same connection.  

Westone Adventure Series ADV ALPHA - Seems to cover durable and weather resistant and has controls, but the reviews of it don't seem super glowing for the price

Right now I am leaning toward the Shure E215/E315, but I am totally open to suggestions.  Also, is the E315 worth the upgrade over the E215?

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 3
The new Westone monitors come with an iDevice cable, if I am not mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back