Durable IEM upgrade?
Oct 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NorthernEnd

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

Simply put, I'm looking for some of the most durable IEMs available.

I've been through many IEMs over the last five years, and I've found that by far my biggest issue has been with how short a lifespan they've all had.
Most times the issue is the cable. The connection between the cable and jack isn't strong enough and gets damaged, the coating on the cable becomes worn and tears in places due to the neck cinch, or the cable just doesn't have enough protection and is broken somewhere along the line with regular use. I've rarely had an issue with drivers or the jack itself.

I do a lot of commuting and the IEMs I use do tend to receive a lot of wear, so I need something with a strong cable and, preferably (but not necessarily) a right-angle jack.
Currently I'm using a pair of RHA ma750i, and as much as I love them, the tacky rubber coating around the cable has actually wrinkled and torn due to the neck cinch, and the spring they've used to support the cable above the jack is too weak/soft, resulting in the sound cutting out if bent the wrong way.

Wearable in over-the-ear orientation is a must, below $200 would be nice, and a sound signature with decent bass would be preferable.

If you've got any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks! I've been considering the se215. Cable length can be a bit of a pain in the ass, but I'd rather a long cable that I can stuff loosely in a pocket than a shorter one that won't last.

Any idea how durable the cables are?

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 11
There's also the SE215 LTD(enhanced bass) which has a 46 inch cable I think

The cables are pretty durable from my experience. A bit thick, not so flexible, but on the bright side it doesn't move around much when you walk so very little to no microphonics.

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 11
Hmmm. Yeah I was thinking of going with the LTD edition, but it seems that they're either discontinued or they just don't sell them in Canada.
What a bloody shame...I love the look of those things, and they seem to have a nice thick cable.

Seems I may be getting the SE215 black edition. Thanks for your help!

Anyone have other recommendations for durable IEMs?

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 11
The meaty cable on the brainwavz S5 has proven quite durable to me. And it has a similar sound to the 215 with a little more treble sparkle.

I've had both and would recommend either one. The limited edition 215 can be found pretty easily used, usually through Amazon or eBay.

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 11
I've decided to go for the Shure SE215 for now. I'd love to get the special edition, but unfortunately with import taxes and all, they'd end up costing me around $170 instead of the $112 I spent on the normal version.

Still, I always like to have back-up IEMs kicking around that are durable and have worthy sound quality, so any further suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks for your help, guys!

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 11
Good choice, buddy. Those import taxes are crazy though. I recently upgraded to the SE425 and it cost me $237 with shipping. Where the heck are you from, and where are you purchasing these earphones? I can't imagine Amazon having them out of stock. 

Edit* 

I just realized you're Canadian. I suppose $170 in Canadian dollars isn't too bad, but still much more than what I paid for my SE215.

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, the import taxes are nuts over here. I ran a calculation on how much duties would cost on a $130 pair of the special editions, and it came out to $42 in -just- duty fees. That's 1/3rd the cost of the IEMs!!

I checked all over the place, and Amazon and eBay were my best options, along with this site: http://www.accessoryjack.com/
Unfortunately, no matter where I went, there was no getting around the duty fees and the fact that any purchase made from a vendor in North America would add on additional taxes.
So, in short, I was SOL :p

Figured I'd stick with $112 for the SE215 regular edition (after taxes and shipping), and if I like them enough and want to upgrade in time, I can.

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 11
  Yeah, the import taxes are nuts over here. I ran a calculation on how much duties would cost on a $130 pair of the special editions, and it came out to $42 in -just- duty fees. That's 1/3rd the cost of the IEMs!!

I checked all over the place, and Amazon and eBay were my best options, along with this site: http://www.accessoryjack.com/
Unfortunately, no matter where I went, there was no getting around the duty fees and the fact that any purchase made from a vendor in North America would add on additional taxes.
So, in short, I was SOL :p

Figured I'd stick with $112 for the SE215 regular edition (after taxes and shipping), and if I like them enough and want to upgrade in time, I can.

Yeah, its a fine choice, and all the Shure IEMs hold their value very well, so I have no doubt you can get most of your cash back and put it towards an upgrade if you ever decide to sell it. There's always someone looking for a pair of Shures on eBay. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Well crap.
The Shure SE215 order that I made was out of stock (it only took them a couple weeks to figure that out and refund my money) -_-

Instead I ordered the SE215 special edition. And for the same cost! :D $116 CAD with free shipping. That's pretty insane considering the average cost is $130-ish plus shipping from Japan.
Sad part is they'll be arriving sometime in mid to late December. Bummer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back