Durable, Heavy-Duty wireless circumaural headset
May 23, 2013 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

N3X15

New Head-Fier
First, a short background on myself so you understand some of the constraints.  I'm a software developer, and that means long hours in front of the computer coding whilst listening to music of varying degrees of poor taste.  When not coding, I'm either in meetings in Skype (I'm in Washington State and the company HQ is in Mexico), demonstrating our product live on a stream, playing games, or just farting around the web.  My home office has many devices in it, so I'm usually going back and forth between various workstations and equipment racks. I also live next to a naval airstation, so noise cancellation is a must, and I've found that circumaural headsets help a great deal.

I've tried various headsets over the years, ranging in expense from your average $30 Wal-Mart headsets to several hundred-dollar monsters from Creative.  My last headset, a Creative Tactic3D Wrath, did well for about 8 months:  It had decent sound, didn't have cords to catch on things, enormous wireless range (I could walk downstairs to grab a coke and still hear things), and, most importantly, had a steel headband.  You see, I have a fairly big head, so cheap plastic headbands don't last long.  Sadly, this didn't help the Wrath:  the bracket attaching the headband to the left cup was plastic and snapped a few days ago, sending $150 of otherwise great equipment straight down the crapper.  Well, at least into my "graveyard" bin, where one day I hope to resurrect it.

So, after much soul-searching and research, I've come to you on the advice of a few friends.  As my hearing is mostly shot anyways, sound isn't of great importance to me.  I'm perfectly happy with a stereo headset.  However, whatever I obtain must be able to stand up to high stress on the headband and attaching brackets, and must be circumaural for noise cancellation and my enormous earlobes' comfort.  Wireless is preferable, if possible, but if it merely has a long cord, I'll be happy. 

I understand that this is a fairly specific request that is somewhat subject to personal experiences and preferences, but I'd appreciate any pointers you can throw my way.  I'm tired of throwing away expensive and otherwise good headsets after 6 months due to cheap plastic breaking.

May 23, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 4
Have you considered IEMs? As far as isolation goes, they blow away circumaural headphones, as long you get the right ones, of course (some reduce noise by 30dB). And then your headband problem would be solved as well.

May 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 4
I have some "IEMs", but beyond simple preference, they never stay in my ears, for whatever reason, and the cords are usually rediculously short and flimsy.  Then again, the ones I'm speaking of are stock portable media earbuds, far cries from the high quality IEMs you have probably used.  The best pair I own are some surprisingly sturdy Phillips earbuds I bought from Wal-Mart many years ago after the ones that came with my MP3 player came apart.  (All of the labelling has worn off, so I don't know the model number.)  I've also found that, when an EA-18 Growler is directly over my house, I get far more bass isolation with circumaural than I would with IEMs.

Still, it boils down to a matter of preference, in this case:  I feel naked without those big cups over my ears, and they're far more comfortable for use 24/7.

May 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 4
You say you have earbuds, you realize those are different from IEMs, right?
Anyway, I have a pair of Shure SE215, about $100. I can't use earbuds, either, because they're uncomfortable and always fall out, but these things simply will not come out of your ears unless you intend them to (provided you follow the instructions to put them in). The cable is also over 5 feet long and very tough.
I can't wear them more than a couple hours without feeling sore, though (YMMV), and I know what you mean about feeling naked without circumaurals :)

As for circumaural, active noise cancelling, preferably wireless headphones (i hope you have a deep wallet):
Lifehacker - How to Choose the Perfect Pair of Headphones
Jude Mansilla gave recommendations in many categories, see about two thirds down the page. No comments are made on durability, though :frowning2:
And you might want to make a post in this thread, this is technically the wrong subforum :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back