Durable headset, for podcasts, for urban walking and transit
Nov 8, 2014 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Muldorf

New Head-Fier
Over the years, I've gone through a number of different IEM headsets, and I'm considering new options again.  I'm looking for something suitable for use dense urban foot and subway transit for use with an Apple or Android device (Apple-only solutions are okay).  I'm hoping someone here can help make some recommendations.

Here are the features that are most important to me:
  1. Budget: <=$500
    1. I'm interested in knowing about options that are currently outside my budget, if that's important.
  2. Controls: at least an play/pause button
    1. Volume controls are a plus, Apple-only is okay.
    2. I found that the Meelec Sport-Fi M6P potentiometer control was so non-linear that it made it a useless gimmick. 
  3. Sound quality: good for voice
    1. Has good sound quality for spoken word at 1.5x speed.  I mostly listen to podcasts. 
    2. I consider Etymotic HF3 to be excellent in this regard (though a bit weak when listenting to podcasters with very low voices). 
    3. My Meelec Sport-Fi X6 is acceptible: better at bass, but not as clear for the more common mid tones.
  4. Doesn't say, "mug me!" 
    1. I prefer low-key solutions that don't call attention and won't make me an obvious magnet for crime when walking around and riding the subway.
  5. Good noise isolation. 
    1. Etymotic HF3 is great.
    2. Sport-Fi X6 is good enough but definitely not as good.
  6. Water resistant. 
    1. I've wrecked at least one HF3 and a Sport-Fi M6P from sweat and/or rain.
  7. Durable. 
    1. No matter how careful I try to be, an HF3's wire will wear out within 3 to 6 months on me.  I don't want to keep paying $100-150 that often or have to constantly rotate through warranty replacements.
  8. Comfortable
    1. I loved my HF3 and would have stayed a lifelong customer if the wires would last 2-3 years for me.
    2. One of my two meaningful complaints with my Sport-Fi X6 is that it's a bit rough on my ear canal and I'm concerned about it doing long-term damage.  It doesn't stay in my ears as well as the Etymotics and I've had to press it in too much.  This can sometimes put pressure on the eardrum, and the thickness of the eartip puts a little more pressure on the canal than seems healthy.
  9. Doesn't cut out (if bluetooth)
    1. The other meaningful complaint I have with my Sport-Fi X6 is that the bluetooth connection gives out every time I walk through certain intersections.  I'm guessing this is due to illegally-strong wifi routers and/or police cameras that act like jammers. 

If the Etymotic HF3 wires didn't wear out so quickly and their controller was more water resistant, I'd be a loyal customer for life.  If the Sport-Fi X6 was more gentle on my ear and its bluetooth didn't cut out so much, I'd use them forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back