Durability of ICs/LODs
Jun 30, 2008 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

slowth

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

how durable are your amp/ipod ICs or LODs...

Been looking around at some DIY ppl (Stevenkelbys) and at the qables special offer...
Basically stevenkelby has lifetime warranty whereas the qables offers have only limited warranty.. probably that's why they're more affordable too..

So.. do these cables have a tendency of breaking after normal, non abusive use?
Cos in that case, I'd place my bet on something with some proper warranty cos it'll be more assuring.. =)

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 10
Make sure your ICs and LODs are sealed carefully with glue, they won't break easily
smily_headphones1.gif

However, if you use some "boutique" ICs with solid core wires, be careful not the bend them sharply or they will break in a second! Or those wires covered by teflon, PE, they're very easy to scratch
frown.gif
and let the air inside which will oxydize the core. I have many wires that are scratched by accident, and later they all turned green.

Wires like Mogami or Canare is very durable and I don't think you will have to send them for repair if using carefully.

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #7 of 10
i've never been good at the technical stuff.. i've got delicate fingers... ha yeah right! just never been too steady with DIY stuff.. break something or snap something or burn something.. haha

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 10
I don't think it's the cable that needs to be the most durable - but rather the conenctions and how far they stick out. The more they stick out, the more chance they will get bent in the ports.

Kelby's jena cable is awesome - durable, and incredibly easy to bend/coil in a compact way. Ask him to give you the link to his IC album - they are very impressive.

Warrior05's mogami interconencts also look amazing - they aren't blingy, but rather nice stealth black. mogami for the price is considered awesome too.

The other option is to get an ultra low profile one like punnisher's - as linked to above - this will minimise the chance that it will catch somewhere and break eithe rthe mini or dock connection.

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 10
thanks for your input bro =)

I think my first question for DIYers would be "do you provide lifetime warranty?" haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back