Durability of HD 595
Jan 23, 2006 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

winged creature

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own the HD 280 pro, and i want something a bit more so ive been looking into the HD 595, but im wondering how durable they are?? The HD 280 has that annoying headband cracking problem, which i find a real pain, how do the HD 595 compare in there build quality, im looking for a solidly built pair of cans that sound great. Is the HD 595 my ideal choice????

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 15
i asked a similar question when i first got my HD595s becuz they seemed kinda flimsy, but everyone assured me that they're solid. and they are, no worries
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 15
Well the lesson i quickly learned with my hd201's is: DONT PUT THEM IN YOUR BACKPACK!
Some hot glue and some super glue later, they are fine, but still.
Back to the topic at hand, i am happy to hear that they are durable, because they will be mine fairly soon (although not going to class with me, they are for my vinyls etc.)
-g

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by winged creature
I currently own the HD 280 pro, and i want something a bit more so ive been looking into the HD 595, but im wondering how durable they are?? The HD 280 has that annoying headband cracking problem, which i find a real pain, how do the HD 595 compare in there build quality, im looking for a solidly built pair of cans that sound great. Is the HD 595 my ideal choice????

I have only two minor complaints about the 595 (and yes, I have the hd280's also): 1. The cable is straight, which is fine if you have used straight cords before, but I was very used to the curly cord on the 280s. This is of course, a silly thing to not like, as probably 80-90% of headphone companies use straight cords. Anyhow, I found myself stepping on the cord a few times, which took a while to get used to. Also the cord is obvioulsy not as long as the 280's which affected my mobility.... 2. I wouldnt say the 595s are fragile, but I certainly wouldnt want to throw them into a wall. I consider the 280s to be quite rugged, minus the headband (supposedly...never had any problems with mine... small head maybe?), and I figure its because they bend in far more places and to a much greater degree than the 595's.

All in all, the small annoyances in no way make it a bad headphone. The increased quality you will experience moving from the 280s is quite worth it. To my ears of course.

Gl, and I hope this helps.

-Cloud

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 15
There definately very durable for normal usage. I mean if your gonna go skiing with them, something id strongly say not to do, even tho i have before. Just make sure you dont fall LOL. Mine are in tip top shape, but i take good care of them. If you take care of something, it'll take care of you

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 15
My only comment is that there is no easy way to replace the HD595 cable (unlike the 580/600/650 cable) in the event that you accidentally damage it. This is only really an issue if you're prone to stepping on / rolling over your cable. At any rate, the 595's are still sexy cans.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337
My only comment is that there is no easy way to replace the HD595 cable (unlike the 580/600/650 cable) in the event that you accidentally damage it. This is only really an issue if you're prone to stepping on / rolling over your cable. At any rate, the 595's are still sexy cans.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

The cable actually isn't that hard to replace, and the effort of getting to the internal connector is worth not having the contact issues of the 580/6xx IMO. Senn doesn't have the part on their site but it is supposed to be available soon. They do have instructions with diagrams on how to replace it.

Oddly, the connector is almost identical to that on the 280
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
The cable actually isn't that hard to replace, and the effort of getting to the internal connector is worth not having the contact issues of the 580/6xx IMO. Senn doesn't have the part on their site but it is supposed to be available soon. They do have instructions with diagrams on how to replace it.

Oddly, the connector is almost identical to that on the 280
smily_headphones1.gif

Really?! Good to know. Thanks for the correction.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiniti029
i asked a similar question when i first got my HD595s becuz they seemed kinda flimsy, but everyone assured me that they're solid. and they are, no worries
smily_headphones1.gif

That's true, no worries
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

The cable actually isn't that hard to replace, and the effort of getting to the internal connector is worth not having the contact issues of the 580/6xx IMO.

I never had that problem? I now have the Cardas replacement which I believe is the only cable that uses its own superior connectors as opposed to other cables using the Sennheiser ones.

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
I never had that problem? I now have the Cardas replacement which I believe is the only cable that uses its own superior connectors as opposed to other cables using the Sennheiser ones.

Like any design defect it depends on the luck of the draw, and in this case, time. The cause for the problem is the fact that the contact is a coil which stretches over time. Depending on many factors you may or may not ever have the problem.

I had the problem with my 525s, my current 580 drivers in my frankensenns, and know at least two other people personally that have also had the problem with that generation. Personally I liked the design of the 590 cable best (micro jack). Easy to replace and reliable.

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 15
I like the 'Frankensenn' term, do you reckon my HD 580s qualify?
580smile.gif

I bet most 580s on head-fi are some sort of mythical monsters!
eggosmile.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
I like the 'Frankensenn' term, do you reckon my HD 580s qualify?
580smile.gif

I call them frankensenns because over time I upgraded my HD525s (first "real" headphone, over 8 years old) with HD545 pads and recently with HD580 drivers - kind of as joke/tribute, but I liked the result enough that I use them at work. They also have a screw in them where I repaired the broken headband
smily_headphones1.gif
. And I have an HD650 stock cable on the way. I will continue to mutate them until I manage to make them unusable probably, then hang them on the wall like a trophy
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 15
They might be heavily 'head-fied' but my HD 580s are perfectly in tact. I'd get a sexy jubilee headband if I broke mine...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I call them frankensenns because over time I upgraded my HD525s (first "real" headphone, over 8 years old) with HD545 pads and recently with HD580 drivers - kind of as joke/tribute, but I liked the result enough that I use them at work. They also have a screw in them where I repaired the broken headband
smily_headphones1.gif
. And I have an HD650 stock cable on the way. I will continue to mutate them until I manage to make them unusable probably, then hang them on the wall like a trophy
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

That's remarkably noble... in a kind of disturbing way...

-Angler
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back