Durability of Ernie Ball strings?
May 19, 2008 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Idsynchrono_24

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

My High "E" string snapped last night while I was pretending to be Terry Kath. I was playing a set of 0.09 set of D'Addarrio XL's which I only had on the guitar like a couple of days
rolleyes.gif
I've played Elixir's (horrible durability, silky smooth though), Fender Super Bullets, custom gauge DRs (my second fave) and my favorite, the Gibson B.B. King signatures. I would stick with the Gibsons since they have amazing tone and bullet proof durability (they last forever; that goes for tone too), but they are practically as heavy as SRV's gauge and they are killing my fingers on bends.

I'm looking for a set of strings that are highly playable for leads, but also durable. I was thinking of the Hybrid Slinkies from EB, but I keep reading about these things rusting after two weeks if you don't use string cleaner so I don't want to bother. Anyone play Super Slinkies? I know they are super popular so a couple of you guys must have them strung up on your axe right now. I mean there has to be a reason why so many great guitarists play EB right? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind slapping a couple of bucks down on a pack of strings, but man, I'd like at least a months worth of play out of them you know?

May 19, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 10
9's? lol that's your problem. Never mind brands... they will all snap if you play on them too hard. Try 10-42 or even 10-46.

I once busted my A string using 10-46's :p

For Eb, 10-46 should be fine. Once you go to D standard (like the band Death), you'll want 10-52 or it's too sloppy. If you decided to tune to C, use 13-56. These are the gauges I used for said tunings.

May 19, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 10
i snapped my elixir strings the day of my first gig

now i use ernie ball 10s, and more recently, the house brand from my favorite guitar shop. they're about 2 bucks a pack

but seriously, try and move up a gauge. they don't rust after two months. my friends been on a set of super slinkys for over 3 months

May 19, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 10
Just to clarify, the set of strings I normally use is 0.11-0.54, so it's not exactly a light gauge, it's actually one step away from Drop C death metal as Rincewind was saying. Not that I tune to that, I'm usually in standard or E flat. I'm looking for a brand that has reputed durability and but not at the expense of playability.

I think I'll check out the Skinny/Heavy Ernie set if no one else has any other suggestions to chime in.

Oh yeah, and I had to laugh at that Feh, sorry, but Elixirs really are crap aren't they? So much for "nano-web" technology, seriously who cares how much longer they are supposed to last with that coating if they just snap the second you really get into playing?

May 19, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 10
The Elixirs are good for acoustic guitar, IMO.

Where does your string snap? By the tuner, nut, bridge, etc? If it's from a contact point, there might be a sharp edge or too much friction that's not supposed to be there.

Once my EB Skinny/Heavy low E broke, but it unraveled at the base near the ball, which was really weird and never happened again.

I think you'd find the EBs to be nice and durable. I used to change my guitar strings regularly but since I quit playing out and recording I have been slacking. The set of strings I have on my electric right now are probably dated back to ~4 months ago and still going strong! Sure they don't have that brightness and wonderful harmonics they had when they were brand new but they sound decent. To increase string life you should always wipe down your neck and strings after playing with a nice dry cloth to remove some of the oils and sweat that are on them.

May 19, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, and I had to laugh at that Feh, sorry, but Elixirs really are crap aren't they? So much for "nano-web" technology, seriously who cares how much longer they are supposed to last with that coating if they just snap the second you really get into playing?

i got the polyweb
now thoose are silky smooth

May 19, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 10
It may just be on how aggressive you are playing, how many hours you put on the guitar, or you might have a burr or sharp edge somewhere on that e-string path. I never really liked slinkys, from what I remember trying them out 10 or so years ago, they were the only brand of strings that I felt didn't "last." Also I think I remember that they look pretty beat after the first week guaranteed whereas d'addarios' seem to make it a few weeks for me.

Recently, I have used 120xl's on all my guitars for the past four or five years and have never really had a string break (before that I was using 110s (10-52s) or (10-46s)). I strongly second the 10-46 recommendation from rincewind.

I have also tried ghs, and elixer's, but I always come back to d'addario (best bang for your buck).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back