durability of er6i? upgrade from ex71?
Nov 30, 2008 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gibson5469

Head-Fier
With the er6i's being so cheap now, Im finally considering upgrading from my trusty ex-71's.

I've had these for almost 5 years, I like them a lot but I think it's time to step up to something better.

I've read too many threads about how the er6i's failed w/in about a year, is the cable that bad?

Will I be really disappointed by the lack off bass transitioning from the sony's to the er6i?

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 12
Yes you will be sort of dissapointed with the bass (largely depends on the seal (DEEP!!), triple flange is recommended) It lacks the impact but quiet good in the clarity and detail, you can hear the bass notes very well but just lacks in the feel.

i had my ER6i for sometime although i dont use them while communiting etc. And sort of didnt rough them up as much.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 12
If you arent jumped rope, playing tug of war etc with them, theyre fine. While some report them dying in a year when they treat them like a $2 pair of earbuds, others who simply take a tiny bit of precaution have had them last as long as your sonys did.

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 12
you'll certainly notice there is less bass when going from the EX71s

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 12
thats the main reason i haven't jumped on the deal yet.

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 12
The durability is decent, just not great. I've had quite a few pairs, they lasted more than 1.5 years with very heavy usage (going to sleep, weightlifting, basketball, jogging). They do tend to not last much longer than that, but I've had a great experience with etymotics research (they replaced 3 pairs for me, all were out of warranty).

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 12
hmm i think i'll stick with my mediocre sony's then. i paid a good amount for them back in 04 and they have served me extremely well.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 12
I have the er6i's, the black ones and the white ones, even the black one with the L-shaped plug have been replaced. I've had probably around 3-4 replacements. Great headphones, ****ty quality wires.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxhotchikxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the er6i's, the black ones and the white ones, even the black one with the L-shaped plug have been replaced. I've had probably around 3-4 replacements. Great headphones, ****ty quality wires.

How about the ER-4P? I was thinking of upgrading to them when the Er-6i dies. They look a little more solid....

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #10 of 12
Upgrading from EX-71 to Er-6i was exactly my case about an year ago.

After I initially loved my EX-71s, I started hating them after a while. Highs were harsh and piercing on some songs and I really couldn't understand people saying that these phones were strong in bass. I also hated the short cable that needed to be extended. That connector added to the overall weight of the earphones, which in turn resulted in pulling them out of my ears. I also hated the Sony-style behind the neck cord.

I moved to the ER-6i and the difference was HUGE. These were much better portable phones. Great isolation, great highs and mids, deep bass. If there's bass in the song you will hear it as it is recorded, it will not be exaggerated. Some people tend to prefer overly bassy sound, the Etys don't do that.

For the time I had the 6is (more than 6 monts) I haven't had any problems with durability, wearing them almost evry day for at least 2 hours. Sadly, they got stolen 2 months ago and I decided to move to the ER-4P.

I'd say the ER-6i are better for portability than ER-4P. The Ps cable is too thick, too microphonic and too long. The earpieces are also bigger and stick more. The Ps are definitely better sounding than the 6i, but if portability and price is a concern, I'd say go for the 6is. For $50 they are a steal.

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibson5469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the er6i's being so cheap now

not if ure in australia!!! where they are sold for $319 retail just one shop. other prices are still $200+

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 12
I made the same transition from the Sony Ex71 to the Etymotic ER6i just this week. At first, I did have difficulty getting a comfortable seal and getting used to putting them in (and taking them out!). But when you get used to them and how exactly they fit in your ears, wow. The sound is so much better than the Sony EX71s. Very satisfying bass, although I wish the overall volume of the ER6i were a little higher. After putting back in my Sony EX71s, I was like, "How could I have listened to those for so long!?" Ack. They're like chewing paste in comparison to the ER6is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back