Durability Issue between IEM's
Sep 2, 2006 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

phil2dot6

New Head-Fier
I've owned a pair of Shure E2c's for three years already, and I've been happy with them purely for the ease of travelling, sound isolation, and relatively decent bass response for what I've paid for ($65 @ ecost). Now what people have failed to tell me is that the wire starts stripping after years of use; the region at which the wire strips is about an inch below the enclosure, right around the area where the wire wraps around the ear. And since the E2c was also known for its durability, I'm just wondering about what other people have experienced with other IEM's.

I'm especially curious as to what UE Superfi3 and Westone UM-1 owners have to say about the wire durability. I am aware that Superfi3 have upgraded into a thicker wire, but from looming around the threads here at head-fi, I'm leaning toward buying the UM-1. However, with Westone's 1 year warranty, as opposed to UE's 2 year warranty, I'm at a bind, and I need some feedback.

Any takers?

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 8
I just recieved one of the newer rev UE Super.FI 3's and they seem really durable. Cable is thicker and just feels better made overall. Also like the other poster stated sweat getting in or on to the iem's is just bad.

Sep 2, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 8
If wire durability is a concern for you then it would make sense to buy something from the Ultimate Ears line up. All of their IEMs have removable/replaceable wires.

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks everybody for the reply!
etysmile.gif

Jasper, do you know if Westone provides the same service?

Sep 2, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 8
I have E2c phones for 18 months and the cable outer stripped two inches from the driver. The material for the outer seems very 'vinyl' and rigid, unlike the high rubber content in any other phones i have. Personally I think it's a bad material choice.

Sep 3, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by phil2dot6
I've owned a pair of Shure E2c's for three years already, and I've been happy with them purely for the ease of travelling, sound isolation, and relatively decent bass response for what I've paid for ($65 @ ecost). Now what people have failed to tell me is that the wire starts stripping after years of use; the region at which the wire strips is about an inch below the enclosure, right around the area where the wire wraps around the ear. And since the E2c was also known for its durability, I'm just wondering about what other people have experienced with other IEM's.

I'm especially curious as to what UE Superfi3 and Westone UM-1 owners have to say about the wire durability. I am aware that Superfi3 have upgraded into a thicker wire, but from looming around the threads here at head-fi, I'm leaning toward buying the UM-1. However, with Westone's 1 year warranty, as opposed to UE's 2 year warranty, I'm at a bind, and I need some feedback.

Any takers?

I think you will be pleased with Westone. They are pro's and customer service is for real. I have been reading several post the past few days with the overall great comments on the service aspect. I have had my UM1's for only a three days. Very comfortable and sound great for what I paid. The wires are wound very tight. They are not easily replaced without sending back to Colorado or a good DIYer, However the UM2 can be replaced.
The comfort is why I went with this unit. It is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back