Durability as well as comfort and sound, help me pick!
May 4, 2009 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

huggernaut

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs and I'm considering

UE Triple.fi 10s

Senn IE8s

Shure SE530s

I listen to a lot of rock and acoustic music, but really spread out widely from there.

In terms of durability, are any of these a bad choice? I tend to be a little rough on my gear as I'm a teacher and on and off the subway a lot in nyc.

thanks

May 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 25
The SE530's have probably the most known durability problems out of those three, mainly with their cable. But they have changed their cable formula over the last year or so and there haven't been many documented cases of where the new one has failed. The body and the drivers themselves don't have problems at all (except that some people have destroyed the nozzle trying to get the stock tips off).

The Triple fi's I believe have had some cases where the actual body had broken off. Not a big surprise since they do have the biggest body out of the three. Their wires I believe are not the most sturdiest, but is at least replaceable, so that's a good thing.

IE8's would probably be the best choice in the durability department. Not many known cases of things breaking down with these, and these also have replaceable cables just like the Triple fi. However, since you said you will use these in the subway mostly, I would worry about their relative lack of isolation compared to the other two.

May 4, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by huggernaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

UE Triple.fi 10s

Senn IE8s

Shure SE530s

I listen to a lot of rock and acoustic music, but really spread out widely from there.

In terms of durability, are any of these a bad choice? I tend to be a little rough on my gear as I'm a teacher and on and off the subway a lot in nyc.

thanks

The Shure SE530's are best suited for those types of music because of it's superior midrange, tight, deep and detailed bass and soft but highly detailed highs when the right tips have been selected.

May 4, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 25
The IE8's are the most durable out of the 3. Kevlar reinforced cable that is replaceable and virtually no microphonics. Isolation will be an issue with them, luckily some people have modified tips that significantly increase isolation.

May 4, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 25
I had major cable problems with a pair of Shure E2cs (cable split right where it curved around the top of my ear) back in the day, I'm assuming the cable problems k_19 talked about were not the same right?

Are the Shure's going to provide a lot more isolation than the IE8s?

May 4, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

I had major cable problems with a pair of Shure E2cs (cable split right where it curved around the top of my ear) back in the day, I'm assuming the cable problems k_19 talked about were not the same right?

Are the Shure's going to provide a lot more isolation than the IE8s?

The SE530 had problems with cables cracking. They changed the outer coating in 2008 and it seems to have resolved the issue. With stock tips, SE530's will provide more isolation.

May 4, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 25
Have you heard of/ considered the Westone 3 or Westone UM3? The latter was only released a few days ago and is getting some great reviews, apparently being better than the 3 you've mentioned: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...thread-422240/

I myself had the SE530, sold them after 4 weeks, got the Westone 3 and never regretted it - for me better sound quality, much better cable & build quality. Westone IEM's are said to have the best cables in the industry, amongst other important attributes.

Quote:

UE Triple.fi 10s

Senn IE8s

Shure SE530s

thanks

May 4, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

The SE530 cable problem was an issue with the cables hardening into a permanent curved shape from repeated wearing over the ears. It was due to skin oils of some people that caused the cables to lose their flexibility. Once hardened, they eventually would split right at the curve.

Shure redid their formula for the cables to address this. From what we can tell, there have been no trends toward splitting with the new cables.

May 5, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard of/ considered the Westone 3 or Westone UM3? The latter was only released a few days ago and is getting some great reviews, apparently being better than the 3 you've mentioned: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...thread-422240/

I myself had the SE530, sold them after 4 weeks, got the Westone 3 and never regretted it - for me better sound quality, much better cable & build quality. Westone IEM's are said to have the best cables in the industry, amongst other important attributes.

aren't the westones significantly more money? with a little looking all those others were sub-300 range, i thought the westones were closer to 400?

May 5, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 25
The IE8 is very comfortable and isolation isn't a problem for me (I have small ears and the included double-flange tips fit fine). Build quality is solid and the cable is perhaps the best I've used - doesn't tangle, seems durable, practically no microphonics.

I chose the IE8 because of the excellent bass, great soundstage, and warm sound.

May 5, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say the UM2 has all of those. Very good build quality and amazing cable.

If the fit of the UM2 is the similar to the UM1, I would recommend the UM2 as well. Westone's products are top notch when it comes to comfort, isolation, and durability. And from what i've read, the UM2 are great for rock.

As for the other choices, i've only tried the IE8's. The IE8's cables are very nice and look very durable, however i could not get a fit with them as I have small ears.

I have not tried the triple fi 10 or SE530, but many have complained about the SE530's cracking cables (although it seems to have been fixed now) and the triple fi's enormous housing (they would destroy my ears)

May 6, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

is the isolation on the ie8s bad enough that it's not even worth considering since I'd use them so much on the subway?

No, I've got the IE8. And while isolation is clearly less then with f.i. the SA6s with Shure olives (that give almost complete silence even with two Italian women besides me on the train), it is good enough for bus, train and subway. Haven't tried them on a plane yet (that'll be friday) but SoozieQ once wrote in the IE8 appreciation threat that it was good enough there too.
There are also, in that same threat, some tip modifications mentioned that increase isolation.
For me, with the supplied foams, I prefer a little bit of hearing what is going on around.
Sound- and Built-quality is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back