DUNU ZEN Playlist
Feb 9, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #16 of 211
Jazz is a genre I keep meaning to further explore. I've a handful of albums by Miles Davis, Jon Hassell and recent contemporary by GoGo Penguin and Hidden Orchestra... which I guess are more electronic/jazz - fantastic though. A friend of mine has suggested stuff before, can't recall what but I struggled with it - it was a bit "jazz club" for me if you get The Fast Show reference!

I mean Miles' back catalog is great, so good luck exploring!

Jon Hassell - a good back catalog, not done a deep dive with him actually, so something I'll be doing too.

Hidden Orchestra - LOVE EVERYTHING!

GoGo Penguin - once you get over the initial groove, i find they get a bit boring.

Yea when it goes off on a tangent it really goes off, which you need to be in the mood for! In the vein above check out Cinematic Orchestra and Mammal Hands. The London Jazz scene has been epic recently, a few artists worth looking at are Rob Luft, Moses Boyd, Kamaal Williams, Nubya Garcia and the various groups with Shabaka Hutchings. Oooh and I have to add Makaya McCraven as he's done a lot with the UK scene and one of the most incredible live performances I've seen!

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 211
I mean Miles' back catalog is great, so good luck exploring!

Jon Hassell - a good back catalog, not done a deep dive with him actually, so something I'll be doing too.

Hidden Orchestra - LOVE EVERYTHING!

GoGo Penguin - once you get over the initial groove, i find they get a bit boring.

Yea when it goes off on a tangent it really goes off, which you need to be in the mood for! In the vein above check out Cinematic Orchestra and Mammal Hands. The London Jazz scene has been epic recently, a few artists worth looking at are Rob Luft, Moses Boyd, Kamaal Williams, Nubya Garcia and the various groups with Shabaka Hutchings. Oooh and I have to add Makaya McCraven as he's done a lot with the UK scene and one of the most incredible live performances I've seen!

Yeah I loved Hidden Orchestra for a few years now, I tend to listen more in the summer months. GoGo more recent, came up as a recommendation based on Hidden but I agree, they've not struck the same chord with me. Love Cinematic Orchestra, fan a long time - must actually check via ZEN. Don't know Mammal Hands so will definitely have a listen. Don't know any others you mentioned there from the London scene, more to investigate - cheers!

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #18 of 211
Yeah I loved Hidden Orchestra for a few years now, I tend to listen more in the summer months. GoGo more recent, came up as a recommendation based on Hidden but I agree, they've not struck the same chord with me. Love Cinematic Orchestra, fan a long time - must actually check via ZEN. Don't know Mammal Hands so will definitely have a listen. Don't know any others you mentioned there from the London scene, more to investigate - cheers!

I'd like to see GoGo live, I bet that would be a great show! Same with Hidden Orchestra, can't believe not seen him either.

Incidentally the Cinematic Orchestra was the last live performance I attended, Feb last year at the Brixton Academy - alas no Roots Maluva to perform a Caged Bird, but otherwise incredible, the album "To Believe" is superb. Now that must be a good track for the Zens! And I either got Covid or a really bad flu after it.....

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #19 of 211
I'd like to see GoGo live, I bet that would be a great show! Same with Hidden Orchestra, can't believe not seen him either.

Incidentally the Cinematic Orchestra was the last live performance I attended, Feb last year at the Brixton Academy - alas no Roots Maluva to perform a Caged Bird, but otherwise incredible, the album "To Believe" is superb. Now that must be a good track for the Zens! And I either got Covid or a really bad flu after it.....

Nice, I've never seen Cinematic live, I'll have to add to my long list for when normality resumes. When 'Ma Fleur' came out, my daughter was about 3 and she loved the first track - To Build a Home... she called it 'The Quiet Song' and we'd have to play repeatedly in the car!

My last gig was the Massive Attack Mezzanine tour, 2019 I think - it got mixed reviews but I loved it. Another for the ZEN come to think of it!

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #20 of 211
Nice, I've never seen Cinematic live, I'll have to add to my long list for when normality resumes. When 'Ma Fleur' came out, my daughter was about 3 and she loved the first track - To Build a Home... she called it 'The Quiet Song' and we'd have to play repeatedly in the car!

My last gig was the Massive Attack Mezzanine tour, 2019 I think - it got mixed reviews but I loved it. Another for the ZEN come to think of it!

Aw, how sweet - it is a good song!

Yea since I reluctantly moved back to London a few years back, I've been embracing the incredible music on offer - sometimes just getting a ticket to gigs is hard enough!

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #21 of 211
It's a ZEN Playlist guys, not a general music discussion thread. Thank you :wink:

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #22 of 211
My favorite French singer sounds great today out of the ZEN

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #23 of 211
Some Aphex Twin madness anyone?

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #24 of 211

579C63C8-5B5B-4FEA-991E-83A6BF781297.jpeg

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #25 of 211

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #26 of 211

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #27 of 211

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #28 of 211
Amazing stuff discovered tonight via @Scuba Devils YT channel. Get there and browse the gems! The following EP I got from Bandcamp

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #29 of 211
A wonderful journey on the ZEN... love this album - one I've gone back to repeatedly.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #30 of 211
An artist that has been the subject of some heated debate in terms of his very obvious Aphex Twin influence - this could have been unreleased material from the first SAW period. For me, I'm happy as its great to hear more of that, even if not by Mr James himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back