Dunu-Topsound Studio?
Nov 2, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #257 of 664
I see/hear the SA3 to be a complement to a hybrid like the DK-2001. The SA3 is a truly excellent team player, not a be-all IEM.

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #258 of 664
I see/hear the SA3 to be a complement to a hybrid like the DK-2001. The SA3 is a truly excellent team player, not a be-all IEM.
SA3 is really good all BA set, it can even be against to some IEMs in $200USD price range.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #259 of 664
Found even another set of tips today to try with the SA6. And it’s not like I have any fit issues or anything. No problems at all as far as frequency response or air-tight fit that even needs to be addressed. I’m simply exploring how different tips can somehow offer a slight new rendition of the response.

So there is never any need of correction but simply an exploration of slight new and exciting tonality.

Due to the complete balance of signature there seems a freedom to go off in subtle fun new directions offered by new tips. I don’t EQ much so this is what I do. Using the included cable I have now finally gone off into more (not-included) aftermarket tips with simply amazing results. Today was an experience where I knew I was onto something due to the new tightness and outside occlusion of sound. Somehow even before the music went on there was a remarkable closeness..............even better than the included tips, which by themselves are some of the best tips I’ve come across. My last review was a revelation using the blue L tips on the Sony XBA-N3, to help take IT to a previously unknown local sound wise.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-xba-n3.22428/reviews#item-review-24616

But it turns out the Studio SA6 has many different ways of changing, where, in the end many different response characteristics are totally correct yet simply another interpretation of how the music could be in the end. As many of us have found out there is a drastic difference between the blue tips and the dark grey narrow bore tips. Obviously there is a closer response from the white and blue. Yet in my history the blue seems to offer a wild imaging enhancement which can actually be taken to many other IEMs for improvement. The blue tips are very close to magic pixie-dust! Still other aftermarket tips can add a new tone to the SA6 which is unexpectedly good.

To summarize here, it seems every different tip on the SA6 allows us to revisit the true character of the SA6 is a slightly new way.

Edit:
I just don’t think I have ever found an IEM with this much flexibility in ways to alter the tone. In the beginning it was like other IEMs where you knew right way if a tip was going to affect the sound signature in a correct direction. With the SA6 there are options which allow you to truly play with alternate sound signature ideas. Today the bass is slightly subdued to a place that normally would not work, yet the lower mids are now smoothed-out and offering a slight darkness making the bass backward placement not as needed. Imaging may not be as spectacular as the included blue tips but there is an over all tone and cohesive listening experience that’s hard to walk away from?

The new tips; I’m not able to identify but I’m using the included cable in 4.4mm with MrWalkman DMP-Z1 MK2 emulation firmware with a Sony Walkman 1A switched to Japan region with rockbox. I’m also guessing the 1A with this new firmware is allowing this freedom due to enhanced resolution and imaging?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #260 of 664
It's all been said and all true... :beyersmile:
IMG_20201108_155949.jpg

Q-6

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #261 of 664
It's all been said and all true... :beyersmile:
IMG_20201108_155949.jpg

Q-6

That pair gets the “Wild Award”!

The color you received reminds me of a tiger! I still can’t get over how different every pair is? Congratulations! I’m happy you liked the sound!

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #263 of 664
That pair gets the “Wild Award”!

The color you received reminds me of a tiger! I still can’t get over how different every pair is? Congratulations! I’m happy you liked the sound!

Yeah their pretty wild :darthsmile:

Q-6

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #264 of 664
Nov 12, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #270 of 664
For the graf-curious. Measured these last evening.

SA3

SA6 with switch turned off and on

Using an Ali IEC and Apple dongle, no compensation.

Attachments

• 0ABE50AB-DE01-4A98-822D-B5574D7E8D8C.png
    0ABE50AB-DE01-4A98-822D-B5574D7E8D8C.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
  • F1A6BA7A-2E49-4264-90DE-2BC5FAEC4787.png
    F1A6BA7A-2E49-4264-90DE-2BC5FAEC4787.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back