DUNU SA6 vs Thieaudio Oracle
Nov 26, 2021 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rh2k14

New Head-Fier
So I am trying to decide between these 2 IEMs and I need some help. I have the dusks and while I like them a lot the fit stinks and is uncomfortable. Its the size of the nozzle not really the size of the shell. When I put it in my ear after about 30 min the pressure it puts on the inside of my ear canal gets too high and I have to take them out. Also I notice that the bottom portion of the dusk slowly start to slip out of my ear, It doesn't fall out but it definitely comes out a little after I jam it in. So I am looking elsewhere and these 2 seem to be at the top of my budget. I listen to classical music, OST, 70s rock, some pop and rap, so quite a wide variety and I only really want one iem. I am looking for something that sounds good and is comfortable. I enjoyed the dusks, but I found myself wanting smoother mids, better treble extension, and better timbre. Please let me know which IEM to get and maybe some comparing and contrasting of these two if you have experience with them so I can make a better decision. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 16
I have had the Blessing 2 and still own the Moondrop Variations, which uses the same shell design.
There are a couple of considerations:

FIT
I have yet to encounter any IEM that does NOT require tip rolling. Finding the right tip really makes a big difference in comfort and sound. The B2/Variations has this big nozzle and I also struggled a bit with comfort. The most comfortable Tip I found is the Sprinfit CP100, but the SQ suffers slightly due to the long tip design which prevents a deep fit. The best compromise for me are the Spiral Dot++ tips, as they are very soft and allow an acceptably comfortable deep fit which helps with the treble.
I would recommend getting some Spinfit tips and some regular Spiral Dot and find the right size, and if you like the Spiral Dots, get the ++ version in the same sizre and one size smaller. They are ridiculously expensive but very good.
Even when you get new IEMs you'll have to experiment with tips, so having a selection at hand will be useful

Sound Quality:
Having had the B2 I understand your desire for improvements.
As a side note - the Variations is a great upgrade but the dip around 200Hz can make them sound a little thin and lean. On the positive side they are incredibly clean and transparent sounding. Mids are very smooth (not like B2) and treble is good with deep insertion.
Looking at the Oracle and SA6 (I have not heard them, but read about them as they were on my short list)
I would see the Oracle as the better option, since the SA6 is a pure BA IEM (different bass) and there's been more mentioning of the SA6 having "BA timbre". The Oracle might still have some of that BA timbre, but based on Crinacle's Tribrid shootout it sounds like it errs on the smoother side of things, which sounds like a very good choice.

Outlier:
If you are willing to go another step up and want an IEM with superior resolution yet still a very natural timbre and decay, look at the Sony IER-M9.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 16
I have had the Blessing 2 and still own the Moondrop Variations, which uses the same shell design.
There are a couple of considerations:

FIT
I have yet to encounter any IEM that does NOT require tip rolling. Finding the right tip really makes a big difference in comfort and sound. The B2/Variations has this big nozzle and I also struggled a bit with comfort. The most comfortable Tip I found is the Sprinfit CP100, but the SQ suffers slightly due to the long tip design which prevents a deep fit. The best compromise for me are the Spiral Dot++ tips, as they are very soft and allow an acceptably comfortable deep fit which helps with the treble.
I would recommend getting some Spinfit tips and some regular Spiral Dot and find the right size, and if you like the Spiral Dots, get the ++ version in the same sizre and one size smaller. They are ridiculously expensive but very good.
Even when you get new IEMs you'll have to experiment with tips, so having a selection at hand will be useful

Sound Quality:
Having had the B2 I understand your desire for improvements.
As a side note - the Variations is a great upgrade but the dip around 200Hz can make them sound a little thin and lean. On the positive side they are incredibly clean and transparent sounding. Mids are very smooth (not like B2) and treble is good with deep insertion.
Looking at the Oracle and SA6 (I have not heard them, but read about them as they were on my short list)
I would see the Oracle as the better option, since the SA6 is a pure BA IEM (different bass) and there's been more mentioning of the SA6 having "BA timbre". The Oracle might still have some of that BA timbre, but based on Crinacle's Tribrid shootout it sounds like it errs on the smoother side of things, which sounds like a very good choice.

Outlier:
If you are willing to go another step up and want an IEM with superior resolution yet still a very natural timbre and decay, look at the Sony IER-M9.
Hey thanks! I actually found a great deal for used SA6s and decided to give it a try. I know that it has BA timbre but I have heard nothing but great things about the fit so I decided to give it a try. I needed an iem that sounds good but more importantly, that I can wear all day when Im on my college campus. I have heard the shell of the Oracle is quite large and the fit is alright so Ill see how the SA6 sounds and fits. Thanks!

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 16
I've never tried the Oracle, but I use my SA6 for gaming/music and they sound great and feel like they are custom made for my ears (very comfortable).

I had the same problem of them gradually slipping out of my ears while playing (sweat?). I recently got the Azla Crystal tips and have been VERY satisfied with them. No more sliding out and they are super comfortable. I forget I'm even wearing IEMs. I definitely recommend checking them out.

Another tip (no pun intended) I would recommend is try out different sizes of tips. If you usually wear L tips, try out M or even MS. I was using the Final E and Spiral Dot L tips with the SA6 and had the slidage problem; switched to MS Crystal tips and problem gone. I think we use larger tips for better isolation and more friction for the IEM to stay in the ear. The Crystal is a soft TPU plastic so it has more grippy-ness to it when compared to traditional silicon tips.

Regarding sound, I enjoy listening to music with them. Reading your OP, I feel that you would enjoy them too.

tl;dr - SA6 + Azla Crystal tips = my top recommendation for comfort

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 16
I've never tried the Oracle, but I use my SA6 for gaming/music and they sound great and feel like they are custom made for my ears (very comfortable).

I had the same problem of them gradually slipping out of my ears while playing (sweat?). I recently got the Azla Crystal tips and have been VERY satisfied with them. No more sliding out and they are super comfortable. I forget I'm even wearing IEMs. I definitely recommend checking them out.

Another tip (no pun intended) I would recommend is try out different sizes of tips. If you usually wear L tips, try out M or even MS. I was using the Final E and Spiral Dot L tips with the SA6 and had the slidage problem; switched to MS Crystal tips and problem gone. I think we use larger tips for better isolation and more friction for the IEM to stay in the ear. The Crystal is a soft TPU plastic so it has more grippy-ness to it when compared to traditional silicon tips.

Regarding sound, I enjoy listening to music with them. Reading your OP, I feel that you would enjoy them too.

tl;dr - SA6 + Azla Crystal tips = my top recommendation for comfort
Hey! I actually just got them in the mail today. I got a pretty good pair of second hand. A person had them for 1 month and bought them for headphones.com. Got the whole package for $350. I love them so much. The comfort is amazing and the sound is great. I dont hear the BA timbre too much. Also for being all BA the bass is well done. You are right I forget they are on my ear and I feel that makes the soundstage better its weird. Its like a where is this sound coming from lol. I love them!

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 16
Hey! I actually just got them in the mail today. I got a pretty good pair of second hand. A person had them for 1 month and bought them for headphones.com. Got the whole package for $350. I love them so much. The comfort is amazing and the sound is great. I dont hear the BA timbre too much. Also for being all BA the bass is well done. You are right I forget they are on my ear and I feel that makes the soundstage better its weird. Its like a where is this sound coming from lol. I love them!
I tried out a lot of other IEMs before settling on the SA6 (see my signature). They really sound great and I haven't found another IEM that is this comfortable.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 16
It is a bit off topic but how would you compare the SA6 to the Moondrop S8 ?
It's been quite a long time since I had the S8, but from what I remember, treble was clearer on the S8 but the bass was also quieter than on the SA6.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 16
I have the S8 and enjoy the treble yes ! I was wondering if the SA6 would seem a little dull compared to the S8 because of a lack of excitement in the treble area ? Tonally how would you say the SA6 compares to Aria and Legacy 3 ? (I also have them).

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 16
Both the Dunu SA6 and Moondrop S8 both have excellent pseudo-custom fit. The S8's nozzles are significantly longer, and the S8 is not vented. This leads to pressure build up that can be uncomfortable (similar to the sensation of needing to pop your ears). For me, I find the SA6 to be more comfortable mainly due to the venting. The S8 is more sub-bass focused, where as the SA6 has a more balanced elevated bass. This leads to the S8 having more rumble and the SA6 having more punch and authority. The SA6 mids on average are more forward than the S8, but the S8 has more energy in the upper mids. In practice this makes the SA6 sound more even, whereas the S8 boarders on sounding anemic on lower register instruments to sounding shouty on upper register instruments. The S8 has more treble energy than the SA6. This translates to more perceived detail on the S8, but less fatigue on the SA6.

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 16
Since this is place many new head fier may refer.

Tonality and timbre are what people generally refer to what “sound quality” is. I brought qdc Anole VX, Variations, Blessing2/Dusk, See Audio Bravery / Yume, Monarch, Timeless, SA6 to my office for a preference contest, and guess which one got the most votes?

Timeless: 7
Monarch: 3
Anole VX: 4
SA6: 3
Variations: 5
Blessing 2: 3
Dusk: 4
Bravery: 4
Yume: 2

People value Timeless’s “live” Planar sound over BA/EST’s detailed sound. While planar IEMs are not technically top-notch.

So evaluating Oracle/SA6/Blessing2 & Dusk, or Variations by techcal aspects for vast majority of people may not ring their bell.

My suggestion is first try to test various timbre/tonality from entry-level ones, if you don’t have access to places for test listening, or simply go to the shop to test which tonality you prefer the most.

From my experience, people value sound quality based on 80% tonality 20% technicalities, and even when it comes to head-fi community member who discusses technical aspect of the gadget the most, I still feel it goes to 70% tonality 30% technicalities. And from this experience, it is unreasonable to suggest one fixed judgmental chart to all audiences.

This is as same as you put: which one is best holiday vacation plan? Caribbean Cruise / Tokyo sightseeing / European history tour. It all depends on people’s personal taste, so knowing your taste first is a better comparison tool.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #15 of 16
Since this is place many new head fier may refer.

Tonality and timbre are what people generally refer to what “sound quality” is. I brought qdc Anole VX, Variations, Blessing2/Dusk, See Audio Bravery / Yume, Monarch, Timeless, SA6 to my office for a preference contest, and guess which one got the most votes?

Timeless: 7
Monarch: 3
Anole VX: 4
SA6: 3
Variations: 5
Blessing 2: 3
Dusk: 4
Bravery: 4
Yume: 2

People value Timeless’s “live” Planar sound over BA/EST’s detailed sound. While planar IEMs are not technically top-notch.

So evaluating Oracle/SA6/Blessing2 & Dusk, or Variations by techcal aspects for vast majority of people may not ring their bell.

My suggestion is first try to test various timbre/tonality from entry-level ones, if you don’t have access to places for test listening, or simply go to the shop to test which tonality you prefer the most.

From my experience, people value sound quality based on 80% tonality 20% technicalities, and even when it comes to head-fi community member who discusses technical aspect of the gadget the most, I still feel it goes to 70% tonality 30% technicalities. And from this experience, it is unreasonable to suggest one fixed judgmental chart to all audiences.

This is as same as you put: which one is best holiday vacation plan? Caribbean Cruise / Tokyo sightseeing / European history tour. It all depends on people’s personal taste, so knowing your taste first is a better comparison tool.
I tend to agree. While in this hobby we often chase sets with the best technical abilities, these often don't sound natural. Personally I place a 90% emphasis on tonality and 10% on technical ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back