Dunu DN2000 Upgrade
Jan 28, 2018 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dschultzy327

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am looking for a true upgrade to my Dunu DN2000, which I have thoroughly loved and enjoyed. My current setup is the Dunu —> Fiio e17 Alpen —> iPhone 7 and I also own Senn HD558, HE400’s, and Fidelio X2 that I pair with a mangi/modi stack. The X2 is my go to for casual listening, so hopefully that gives you a good idea of my signature preference (Fun & V-Shaped I suppose?)

I’d love some suggestions for a noticeable IEM upgrade to my DN2000’s that are good for electronic, but can also handle pop vocals and alternative. Bass is very important, but I don’t want anything that bleeds too far into the mids and still provides good soundstage and vivid vocals.

My budget is $600-800, but could stretch it a little higher for the perfect fit (if there is such a thing as perfect!?). I’ve been looking at the Shure SE846, Senn IE800, AKG 3003, and some of the Sony bass-heavy IEMs like the Z5 and XB90EX. Are there any other alternatives that I could be missing? I’d rather not go the route of custom monitors.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Dan

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi All,

I am looking for a true upgrade to my Dunu DN2000, which I have thoroughly loved and enjoyed. My current setup is the Dunu —> Fiio e17 Alpen —> iPhone 7 and I also own Senn HD558, HE400’s, and Fidelio X2 that I pair with a mangi/modi stack. The X2 is my go to for casual listening, so hopefully that gives you a good idea of my signature preference (Fun & V-Shaped I suppose?)

I’d love some suggestions for a noticeable IEM upgrade to my DN2000’s that are good for electronic, but can also handle pop vocals and alternative. Bass is very important, but I don’t want anything that bleeds too far into the mids and still provides good soundstage and vivid vocals.

My budget is $600-800, but could stretch it a little higher for the perfect fit (if there is such a thing as perfect!?). I’ve been looking at the Shure SE846, Senn IE800, AKG 3003, and some of the Sony bass-heavy IEMs like the Z5 and XB90EX. Are there any other alternatives that I could be missing? I’d rather not go the route of custom monitors.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Dan
I would add the Campfire Jupiter to your list. It is just a gorgeous-sounding IEM. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you.

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Gotcha - What about the Andromeda or Vega? Would those be considered more bass-emphasized than the Jupiter? I know they are a bit more expensive, but I’m willing to spend the dough for the right IEMs.

I’ve also beeen looking into the UM ME.1 and Earsonic Velvet v2 universals. So many options! I wish there was a way to audition them all. I may order the top 3 choices and return the losers.

Thanks again!

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Gotcha - What about the Andromeda or Vega? Would those be considered more bass-emphasized than the Jupiter? I know they are a bit more expensive, but I’m willing to spend the dough for the right IEMs.

I’ve also beeen looking into the UM ME.1 and Earsonic Velvet v2 universals. So many options! I wish there was a way to audition them all. I may order the top 3 choices and return the losers.

Thanks again!
Yes, I would say the Andromeda and the Vega are both more bass-tilted, though not basshead for sure. It is very difficult to audition these unless you are in a mega city like NYC, say. Or Portland in the case of the Campfire.

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 9
I’ve been searching for some direct comparison reviews between the DK-3001 and DN2000, but I haven’t had a ton of luck.

My biggest fear is that they won’t be a true upgrade. I know it’s difficult to have that “wow” moment once you’ve had some higher end phones, but that’s what i’m hoping for with the next set. Would you say that there is enough of a positive difference to justify the cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back