Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
May 6, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #316 of 1,320
Lol. That reminds me of a description listed on Ultimate Ears web some time back. They were advertising that with their IEM (I forgot which model) that you can hear the singer breath not just the vocals, the shredding of the guitars and not just the sound itself..

Because I want to hear singers gasping for air...

May 6, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #317 of 1,320
Because I want to hear singers gasping for air...

So you're saying you plan on listening to them under water!?!
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 6, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #320 of 1,320
Lol. That reminds me of a description listed on Ultimate Ears web some time back. They were advertising that with their IEM (I forgot which model) that you can hear the singer breath not just the vocals, the shredding of the guitars and not just the sound itself..

I remember that, it was TF10. "Experience the unbelievable" Triple-10 had to have some of the most misleading marketing speals I've ever read! They made Monster look tame! 

May 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #322 of 1,320
Haha yea!! I was reading with wide and unbelieving eyes. But it was also that, that brought me to the TF10 and started the journey saying sorry to my wallet.
frown.gif

I think for many of us TF10 brought us where we are now, (in this thread for example) very much a gateway drug.

Although I never heard quite the detail levels advertised I did own TF10 three times in total. 
ph34r.gif

Stay tuned guy's, I'll have DN-2000 in the next couple of weeks and can answer any H-300 / DN-2000 questions!

May 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #323 of 1,320
I think for many of us TF10 brought us where we are now, (in this thread for example) very much a gateway drug.

Although I never heard quite the detail levels advertised I did own TF10 three times in total. :ph34r:

Stay tuned guy's, I'll have DN-2000 in the next couple of weeks and can answer any H-300 / DN-2000 questions!

I have the tf10 too, I ordered the T-Peos h-300 on thursday so It's got like 1-6 days til it gets here :D

May 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #326 of 1,320
More detailed impressions from me below :)

Price – Roughly $285 from a Beijing audio shop (no teddy bear)

Build Quality 
The housing is solid, and looks great. Only complaint is that the logo is on the housing, but I consistently hate all logos on all products. Cable seems OK being pretty soft and flexible without feeling too cheap but time will tell how durable they are.

Accessories
The fit package is ridiculously large. Many different tips, ear fins to add stability for straight-down wear and ear hooks for over-the-ear wear. Spacer rings for insertion depth. In my opinion the extra accessories aren't that practical as anything you add increases the chances of things falling off during actual use.

The hard case that comes with the DN2000s looks like luggage! It has no hinge though so opening it is a little weird. You get used to it.

Comfort & fit
With the extensive fit package finding comfort is pretty easy. I wear mine straight-down and have no problems, and use Monster Gel Supertips.

Microphonics
Very little microphonics from the cable even when worn straight-down and moving around a bit.

Soundstage
I picked up these IEMs to a lot of Chinese hype describing them as a "wide open" sound. I don't know if I just can't hear soundstage right, but I didn't find the soundstage particularly impressive. Layering is great but considering the reviews of DN1000 I was expecting a bit more. Maybe I just don't know how to listen for soundstage or it would be different with other tips.

Sound Summary
Tremendously transparent. Slightly v-shaped, crystal clear mids/highs– leaning towards accurate though not quite balanced– with the depth, impact and realistic decay of a dynamic bass driver.

Bass (dynamic driver)
Fast, accurate bass with a very realistic sounding decay to the entire bass range. Incredible sub-bass, more in quantity than my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, but comparatively less mid and upper bass. Any listeners not categorizing themselves as a basshead will be more than satisfied with the bass on the dn2ks. I think many bassheads would be perfectly satisfied as well.

Hard-hitting electronic songs are very energetic (Skrillex), while different looks like Japanese jazz hip-hop can take on a warm quality (Nujabes). We Are Young was epic when the bass kicked in. I even listened to the full What A Feeling by Global Deejays without skipping for the first time in years! The impact and rumble of the sub-bass makes a big difference when called upon by any song in any genre.

I really like the bass on these. In general, I would not describe the DN2000 signature as a warm one. You get the beautiful bass sound of a dynamic driver, but with the DN2000 tuning the bass does not bleed into the mids– contributing to the overall clarity of the set and lending itself to versatility in playing many different kinds of music.

Mids/Treble (balanced armature)
The mids are certainly recessed, at least slightly. Unfortunately I have never heard the DN1000s so cannot compare, but I can say that the mids do remain clear and present. The treble is tuned for a bit of brightness, so female vocals are slightly more forward than male vocals. I say "slightly" v-shaped above because I don't find the mids overly recessed, but they are certainly a far cry from forward.

These are a very accurate set of IEMs, and I found them a bit unforgiving when it came to poorly recorded tracks. I was aware of some poor samples in hip-hop tracks, for instance, and instead of seeming "flavorful" (as they do on other headsets) they just sounded kind of bad quality. On other recordings, certain details can come through harshly, such as fingers and picks hitting guitar strings or the "sss" and "ch" sounds you get in vocals. There is some sibilance in the treble as well, that varies with tips used and insertion depth. The accuracy and transparency here can make the DN2000s slightly fatiguing if your music collection is not high quality, and is also why I would not describe them as being one of those IEMs that just makes all of your music sound great. Taking two songs from Rodriguez for example: Crucify Your Mind sounds great and without sibilance, but Hate Street Dialogue has a lot of hardcore pick on the strum and sounds sibilant to me.

Of course, there are two sides to the accuracy coin. Great acoustic recordings sound absolutely amazing, and you really get the full expression of the musician from the recording. I deeply enjoyed how the DN2000s reproduced many instruments: from the piano of Dave Brubeck, to the electric guitar of Steve Vai, to the trumpet of Miles Davis (and I've had a hard time enjoying trumpets on every IEM I've owned). You hear the subtle vibratos. You feel the delicacy of the performer playing pianissimo in Chopin nocturnes, and the aggression in a Rachmaninoff prelude. You can almost see the electric guitarist making a funny face when he gets to the most emotional part of his solo. You hear the emotion behind every note, and this is how music should be.

A key here is the support of the dynamic bass driver, which for instance gives piano chords a pleasing fullness. There are details in each instrument and voice at a wide range, and the DN2000s reproduce these details very well, maybe because of the way they are tuned.

Musical builds are outstanding because you hear textures and details you previously didn't while the bass gives support. Shine on You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd, for example, has always been one of my favorite songs that tells a big story. Listening on the DN2000s is like watching a movie for a second time and seeing details you hadn't before. The same thing applies to tracks designed to be smooth: they become textured with new details revealed. Something About Us by Daft Punk is as smooth as it always is but the detail of the reverb adds a new level. The honey-in-your-ear harmonies of Milo Greene take on a whole new meaning with increased separation between voices. The same applies to duos like Lucius, The XX, Angus & Julia Stone, The Civil Wars, etc. etc.

Vocals are incredible in general. Voices break into hoarseness and make me want to cry, with the expression of every lyric coming through with incredible transparency. One of my favorite little pieces in all music is Lauryn Hill's voice solo in Killing Me Softly (around the 3:10 mark), and now its even more of a favorite. Listening to Autumn Leaves, you hear every whisper and every transition. 

Final Thoughts
Though slightly v-shaped, the Dunu DN2000s are the most transparent set of IEMs I have owned. Every part of the sound spectrum has tremendous presence, accuracy, and body. The dynamic bass combined with the accuracy of mids and highs come together for some real magic– a testament to the hybrid IEM model.

A little unforgiving sometimes and may not be the best choice for casual listening, but the clarity works much more to make the DN2000s musical while working less to make them analytical. Due to clarity you can enjoy music at low volumes which makes them less fatiguing.

If you like singer-songwriters you will loves these earphones. If you like jazz you will love these earphones. If you like the RZA you will like these earphones. If you like most kinds of music you will love these earphones!

May 6, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #328 of 1,320
  More detailed impressions from me below :)

Sound Summary
Tremendously transparent. Slightly v-shaped, crystal clear mids/highs– leaning towards accurate though not quite balanced– with the depth, impact and realistic decay of a dynamic bass driver.

. . .

Mids/Treble (balanced armature)
The mids are certainly recessed, at least slightly. Unfortunately I have never heard the DN1000s so cannot compare, but I can say that the mids do remain clear and present. The treble is tuned for a bit of brightness, so female vocals are slightly more forward than male vocals. I say "slightly" v-shaped above because I don't find the mids overly recessed, but they are certainly a far cry from forward.

These are a very accurate set of IEMs, and I found them a bit unforgiving when it came to poorly recorded tracks. I was aware of some poor samples in hip-hop tracks, for instance, and instead of seeming "flavorful" (as they do on other headsets) they just sounded kind of bad quality. On other recordings, certain details can come through harshly, such as fingers and picks hitting guitar strings or the "sss" and "ch" sounds you get in vocals. There is some sibilance in the treble as well, that varies with tips used and insertion depth. The accuracy and transparency here can make the DN2000s slightly fatiguing if your music collection is not high quality, and is also why I would not describe them as being one of those IEMs that just makes all of your music sound great. Taking two songs from Rodriguez for example: Crucify Your Mind sounds great and without sibilance, but Hate Street Dialogue has a lot of hardcore pick on the strum and sounds sibilant to me.

This sounds just like the H-300 in a standalone review context.  More the reason that we need A/B impressions.  Great job on the impressions, btw!

Edit: had quoted the review in full before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back