dunu 2000J vs. rha t20, which to buy?
Jan 29, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 4
I have both the DUNU2000J and the RHA T20i.

My first high fidelity earphones were the Klipsch X11i. They were astoundingly comfortable, but the major problem with those was that after 1 year of frequent heavy use they started falling apart. After the Klipsch, I bought the T20i, but found that the mandatory cord over-the-ear fit drove me nuts. However, I will admit that the T20i fit like a glove into my outer ear and I could even lie with the side of my head on a pillow and the T20i was still totally comfortable in my outer ear, but the cord still bothered me. I then started wearing the T20i without wrapping the cord over my ear. I just let it hang in the air and the T20i kept its place by using tight fitting multiple flanged ear buds which were a bit uncomfortable. I was still not happy with the fit and read many reviews of earphones in my price-range in this web site, and ended up buying the DUNU2000J.

My first advise is that if you're going to be hard on the earphones, buy the T20i, as it's indestructible. [size=x-small]Regarding sound quality I was very happy with the T20i. Using the T20i's "reference" tuning frequency balance attachment, it is very strong on base, very good in treble, and great in midrange. I found the treble attachment to be too sibilant, and the base attachment depressed the treble far too much. The T20i's iPhone microphone fidelity is excellent. I never had anyone complain that they couldn't hear me clearly with the T20i. The T20i is significantly less expensive than the DUNU2000J, but I got lucky and got a new unopened box T20i from [/size]eBay[size=x-small] at about 40% less than the Amazon price.[/size]

The DUNU2000J outperforms the T20i in sound quality at the treble and bass ends of the sound spectrumm, but you give up having the phone controls and microphone for using your cellphone, which you do get with the T20i. The DUNU's treble is better detailed, wider in the illusion of width of sound-stage, and more realistic in that it's almost like sitting next to a string instrument being played. Over the years I've found that when sitting next to a violin or cello being played, the treble is naturally "harsher" and the bass is richer with overtones, than what you get from recordings. The 2000J's bass goes deeper into the low bass reproduction and is tighter/better detailed than the T20i. The 2000J using its bass port obstruction ring, and foam earbuds from Comply.com, will literally make you feel the vibration in your ear canals from deep bass, which I didn't get from the T20i which has a strong but less precise bass. The 2000J does come with a firm plastic piece into which you can put the cord and use it wrapping over the ear if you want.

You should consider that my comments on sound quality should be taken with the knowledge that I'm 57 years old and have mild early sensorineural hearing loss. I cannot hear anything above about 10KHz. When I was a teenager, using a sound testing recording I could hear up to about 20KHz, and our dog came charging into the room looking bewildered when the recording hit 30KHz.

You won't go wrong with either of these earphones, but I urge you to read the reviews on each product in this web site. If I had to choose one of them with being able to try both of them, my decision would be based on comfort or cost, more than on sound quality, as you'll be very happy with the sound quality of either of them.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the input, tried them both, the 2000j's I felt were a little harsh on the high's for me and the t20's were uncomfortable. I ended up with the sony xba a3 and comfort and sound were spot on for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back