Dump Itunes for--what???
May 6, 2008 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
recently went from Itunes to Winamp. It's OK, but really wanted a source where I can occassionally buy from an online service. so looked at Media Jukebox which has a link to Amazon. Now I'm happy with Winamp and using of FLAC for files, but for my unamped, low end 2g Nano I sometimes buy stuff online to fill it with.

So the question is: anything other than Winamp or Media Jukebox I can use?? Had looked at Rhapsody but it doesn't recognize Itunes-purchased music.

May 6, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 11
If you want to be fully drm-free, you can buy from amazon "manually", and just drag the files in to whatever app.

If you replaygain your files (so the ipod eq works, among other things) there really isn't an extra step. If you don't, you should start!

May 6, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MediaMonkey is really nice. I liked the free version enough that I updated to Gold.

mediamonkey, while an excellent program, will not recognize music purchased via iTunes

May 7, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mediamonkey, while an excellent program, will not recognize music purchased via iTunes

are you sure??? Dowloaded freebie yesterday and it's recognized all my Itunes-purchased music, altho I have not synced with an Ipod yet. But on my computer screen, I see all my purchased tunes.

Mike

well, revisited MediaMonkey and rockin_amigo might be right. Waay too many quirky things happen apparently when trying to import Itunes-based songs into MM. At least that's the conversation on the MM forums. Maybe Winamp after all??? Dunno.

May 7, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the media monkey

which one? the positive or the negative?

postscript: wonder if the mm plays non-drm itunes files? i purchase only those for various reasons - one being that they are supported on non-ipod hardware

May 7, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 11
MediaMonkey is very sweet. Give it a try.

May 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the question is: anything other than Winamp or Media Jukebox I can use?? Had looked at Rhapsody but it doesn't recognize Itunes-purchased music.

I am not sure what your question is, but I am guessing you want a music player replacement for iTunes.
Either way, J. River Media Jukebox is your solution (or J. River Media Center, if you want extra functionality). Just just have to tell it that it needs to use the iTunes engine for playback of DRM'ed tracks. I am pretty sure it can transfer FairPlayed tracks to your iPod too.
Check this thread for reference.
-Rasmus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back