Dumb-simple cable upgrade for Beyer DT250...
Dec 29, 2005 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
I can't believe this works. Pin offsets NEVER line up by accident. Accident or not, this works splendidly, with only minor mods to the cable connectors:

Senbeyer_1.jpg

Senbeyer_2.jpg

Senbeyer_3.jpg

I had to thin out the plugs on the side where they meet. The socket clips engage the detents in the pins, so they are quite secure. No mods to the headphones at all. It is one hell of an improvement in comfort over the old coiled cord with the autosnag longplug.

The best part: it uses up parts I have laying around!

gerG

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 8
Interesting solution. Pardon my ignorance of not recognizing those... but what kind of 2-pin plugs are those?

Thanks!

-Darren.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 8
WHOA ! This is awesome. I mostly hate that coiled cord. I wonder if an aftermarket Senn cable--or even the stock 650 one--would make a significant sonic difference. This could open up an entire new world for 250 users. Fantabulously cool post, thanks.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting solution. Pardon my ignorance of not recognizing those... but what kind of 2-pin plugs are those?

Thanks!

-Darren.

Look like Senns plugs to me.. Stock 650 cables?

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump... anyone still got or remember the picture from this OP?

That was stock HD650 cable with some minor shaving on the sides of plugs plugged into DT250. If you have access to one, it's easy to figure out what needs to be mod. I never tried it myself as it didn't look very secure. But I believe you can just order straight DT250 cable from Beyer if coiled bothers you much.

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 8
I owned the DT250 previously and now have some HD-25s. The Beyers have a single sided cable, so does this mod involve putting the two ends of the Senn cable into the Beyer jack?

Also the Beyer cable has a little screw that holds it in place, how is the Senn cable held in place?

I'm interested because the replacement cable from Beyer is expensive and IMO the Beyers are a little dark and would really benefit from a better cable. I have a headphile cable on the HD-25s and if that could be made to fit some Beyers I would be very interested...

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the DT250 previously and now have some HD-25s. The Beyers have a single sided cable, so does this mod involve putting the two ends of the Senn cable into the Beyer jack?

Also the Beyer cable has a little screw that holds it in place, how is the Senn cable held in place?

I'm interested because the replacement cable from Beyer is expensive and IMO the Beyers are a little dark and would really benefit from a better cable. I have a headphile cable on the HD-25s and if that could be made to fit some Beyers I would be very interested...

Yes, into one end, there are four female connectors in beyer socket, each senns plug has two. No screw, like I said, I questioned the reliability of such connection thus didn't try it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back