(Dumb Question) Is it ok to wash an audio cable (and not damage the headphones)?
Mar 24, 2016 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
Let's say I have an audio cable that stinks literally.

Let's say I'm too cheap or broke to get another said cable.

Let's say that this cable is a detachable cable for a headphone.

Is it ok to wash the cable with soap and water, and find that that it still works fine without destroying my headphones?

Of course, I plan to dry them after washing.

Go easy on me; I'm asking a legitimate question and am looking for a yes or no answer.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 4
Yes but there's still the risk that oxidation due to the exposure to the detergent might start even if you dry them, and then spread to the headphone or amp terminals.

At the very least, don't use anything in the kitchen or laundry, use whatever they use on bikes and cars. These also smell like bubblegum.

Still...why does the cable stink? You can probably just dunk it in some other kind of moisture and odor absorber, like baking soda. Use pure baking soda, not like the Arm and Hammer for cat litter, since that has some kind of laundry detergent mixed in (makes my cat corner at home smell a lot like my laundry actually).

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 4

Yes but there's still the risk that oxidation due to the exposure to the detergent might start even if you dry them, and then spread to the headphone or amp terminals.

At the very least, don't use anything in the kitchen or laundry, use whatever they use on bikes and cars. These also smell like bubblegum.

Still...why does the cable stink? You can probably just dunk it in some other kind of moisture and odor absorber, like baking soda. Use pure baking soda, not like the Arm and Hammer for cat litter, since that has some kind of laundry detergent mixed in (makes my cat corner at home smell a lot like my laundry actually).

Previous owner was smoked and it was my bad that I didn't ask.

I disassembled everything and cleaned whatever that isn't electronic. I sprayed the cable with febreeze whether or not that was a good idea.

Probably going to have it replaced to be on the safe side, but I'll try to find some car/bike cleaning liquid.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Previous owner was smoked and it was my bad that I didn't ask.

I disassembled everything and cleaned whatever that isn't electronic. I sprayed the cable with febreeze whether or not that was a good idea.

Probably going to have it replaced to be on the safe side, but I'll try to find some car/bike cleaning liquid.

By cleaning liquid I meant car/bike shampoo - the detergents in there don't react with paint and metal as much as normal dish soap or laundry detergent would. Still, I would have just dunked the whole thing in baking soda.

I can't imagine how other people can smoke with their gear. At worst I only smoke with my IEMs (which being of such personal use and abuse is something I would really just use 'til the end instead of selling) and my laptop while working, and even then, I only smoke outside the house (like a coffee shop); at home, I set-up in a room with windows closed and A/C running, so when I take a break, I go downstairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back