dumb question- gapless playback
Sep 14, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb
The Rio Karma supports gapless playback
biggrin.gif

If you can get hold of one, likewise the iRiver H-100 series with Rockbox firmware which is also discontinued. Two hard drive players with gapless and both no longer available; how sad that mp3 player manufacturers are taking a step back.

Sep 14, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
If you can get hold of one, likewise the iRiver H-100 series with Rockbox firmware which is also discontinued. Two hard drive players with gapless and both no longer available; how sad that mp3 player manufacturers are taking a step back.

Karmas still available on eBay

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #19 of 30
My Palm Zire 71 running Aeroplayer does gapless
biggrin.gif
I just did a quick test with DSotM to confirm that it works.

I'm still on a 256MB card in there, but I'm going to pick up a 1GB now that they are cheap. I'm rarely away from a PC long enough to need more music than that.

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #22 of 30
On that note ^^ the MD units do gapless as well. The Karma and iRIver H series DAPs can both be found online through various dealers. You can sometimes find new H series at U.K. dealers, and definitely all over ebay internationally. There's one or two other dAPs which do gapless (an RCA I believe ?) but aren't really noteworthy as players in general.

I suggest getting a Karma or iRiver oldskewl model NOW, because Toshiba just released their 40 gig perpendicular 1.8" drives, which fit in the H 120's and probably fit in the Karma as well, which would solve that whole pesky Karma HD issue... Even at the higher prices which they're going for, I think the price is totally worth the features.

Rockbox on the iRiver kicks SO much ass, it's not even funny. It's also known that ROCKbox will be ported to the H3xx series DAPs, so you might want to go that way as well. It urks me to no end, that a bunch of guys who code for free, as a hobby, got the job done with extremely little effort, compared to these big companies who have more resources than you can tip a hat at...and still didn't skim the surface.

I realize that gapless and some of the other ROCKbox features are considered the music geeks' forte, but you can't tell me that when the average Joe looks at spec and feature list sheets, they aren't looking at the product which boasts MORE of anything... ?

Sep 15, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb
If you don't care about gapless playback, then you are a just a casual listener. If you don't understand, then there is really no point trying to convince you.
frown.gif

Or, maybe, you never listen to gapless albums, so its a non-issue for you.

Perhaps the latter. I would not assume from my statement that I am a "casual" listener. No need to get condesending.

You are from Eugene. Next time you are listening to KWVA, you can tell me how much gapless is affecting the music I play (we use iTunes alot at the station). I do not listen to music casually, otherwise I probably would not belong to Head-Fi.

While I certianly understand the complaint, the styles of music I listen to do not depend of gapless. After listening to a album once or twice, I do not usually listen to it front to back. I always have my CD player if I really want the gapless experience.

Don't get me wrong, it is something Apple needs to fix. However, it does not make iTunes or iPods unusable as many people on this forum would have you believe. That is why I said people make too big of a deal about it, because they do.

Sep 15, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by quackattack
Perhaps the latter. I would not assume from my statement that I am a "casual" listener. No need to get condesending.

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, it is something Apple needs to fix. However, it does not make iTunes or iPods unusable as many people on this forum would have you believe. That is why I said people make too big of a deal about it, because they do.

Now it is YOU being condescending. To the people who make a big deal out of gapless, it is a big deal. If you are using iTunes for your radio broadcasts, would you want iTunes to put a 1 second gap right smack in the middle of the songs you play on the air? For the same reasons that you would not want that gap in the middle of your song, I don't want it between the third and fourth movements of Beethoven's Sixth, or between "Us and Them" and "Any Colour You Like" on DSOTM. If I consider the lack of gapless to be a dealbreaker, who are you to tell me that I am making too big a deal of it?

Sep 15, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Now it is YOU being condescending. To the people who make a big deal out of gapless, it is a big deal. If you are using iTunes for your radio broadcasts, would you want iTunes to put a 1 second gap right smack in the middle of the songs you play on the air? For the same reasons that you would not want that gap in the middle of your song, I don't want it between the third and fourth movements of Beethoven's Sixth, or between "Us and Them" and "Any Colour You Like" on DSOTM. If I consider the lack of gapless to be a dealbreaker, who are you to tell me that I am making too big a deal of it?

Alright, lets not get wound up. Perhaps I was being condescending, and I apoligize, I just tend to react strongly when I am openly called out.

We don't use iTunes when we intend to play two gapless tracks at the station. That would be unacceptable. We use the CDPs. My point was for the styles of music I play on the show (and listen to in my own time) we don't usually run into the issue.

I don't listen to much classical, and I can forgive it when I listen to DSOTM. In all honesty, I do not really care about the half second gap. It does not bother me. Obvously it does bother alot of people, and that is fine.

If it is a dealbreaker for you I can respect that. It is not one for me. Either way I hope Apple is taking notes, it should be fixed.

Sep 15, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #26 of 30
Personally, I couldn't care less about gapless because it really doesn't factor into the way I listen to music. However, I want to manufacturers to care about gapless because it means they will be paying attention to a detail that is important to many audiophiles and one that will show they are serious about SQ.

Sep 15, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
For those who sees the possibility to play an album "gapless" on the iPod such an important "missing" feature:
Instead of ranting and running all blind with the pack, why don't you just "read the manual" about iTunes?
If you import an album into iTunes after first having :
Do "Select All" under "Edit".
Then "Join CD Tracks" under "Advanced".
Now the whole album is imported seamlessly into your iTunes and iPod.
And played as a whole, no gaps between tracks!

Joining the tracks into one is not unique to Ipod/itunes. It is called albumwrap. It also means then, that the whole thing is one track - which has pretty obvious navigation drawbacks.

Like i said, if you don't listen to this type of music there is no point trying to chip in - you're not going to get it.

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Personally, I couldn't care less about gapless because it really doesn't factor into the way I listen to music. However, I want to manufacturers to care about gapless because it means they will be paying attention to a detail that is important to many audiophiles and one that will show they are serious about SQ.

Applause! Here, that's the comment we who care about gapless want to read. It's not important to you, but you aknowledge it's a flaw and it should be fixed. That's the spirit. There's no point in defending lack of gapless playback. It would be as if the iPod couldn't play MP3 at bitrates higher than 160kbps and I said it's not a problem because I, as the majority of people, don't listen to higher bitrates anyway. If it's a flaw, it's a flaw. Better to those who don't care about it, but in no way reason to say it shouldn't be addressed.

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey

Here, here!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back