Dumb question about comparing two inexpensive connections
Feb 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

m001

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to study the difference between the Xitel Hi-Fi Link and the Airport Express in my secondary office system. The source is an iMac/iTunes/Apple Lossless files.

When I compare the audio through the Xitel against the Airport using Sennheiser PX100 headphones, there's no contest: the Airport's sound is richer, with deeper bass and a fuller soundstage. In comparison, the Xitel sound distorted and edgy, with thin bass.

When I compare them through a NAD integrated amp, however, they are very, very similar. The Airport has the edge in output level, but even when I do a poor-man's level matching, they are difficult to distinguish.

So, why so different through phones but not through the amp. I expected the Airport to sound better in both cases, as I assumed it had a superior analog output stage (Stereophile's measurements gave decent results).

I know, dumb question. Any insight appreciated, however.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 3
it likely has an output stage better suited to driving the "harder" load of the hp's, as well as straight into an amplifier

if it isn't rolling off at the low end, it means its able to handle the load presented (in a really generalistic way of thinking about it), I don't want to say its really "output power" as much as "ability to use available output power", if that makes sense? (its like having the right tires on your car for the season)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back