Dumb question about balanced vs. not balanced out of a dac
Feb 24, 2019 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DangerToast

100+ Head-Fier
hey all,

I'm going to give my usual caveat that I am not an engineer or an audio professional, so this question may seem rudimentary but I did a fair amount of searching and couldn't find a clear, simple answer. So here it is: if you take an unbalanced output from a dac (such as RCA) and feed it into an amp with balanced out, if you then listen to the balanced out, are you listening to something that is truly balanced? Thanks.

Feb 25, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 5
Also not an engineer, but I'll give my $0.02...depends on what you mean by "truly balanced". To my understanding, a "truly balanced" setup would be balanced from the source all the way to the headphones. In your hypothetical scenario, your source is feeding the amplifier an unbalanced signal via RCA outs/ins which your amplifier is then converting to "balanced" output via some form of internal voodoo. Because it is not balanced end-to-end, this setup would not be considered "truly balanced" or "fully balanced".

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 5
i'll give you another example, if i put a dac's fiber optic out into an amp, and plug in balanced headphones/speakers into the balanced out of the amp... is it still balanced? short answer, yes.

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 5
No you are not except for one amp I know. GSX mini has RCA in and balanced out.

Feb 27, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 5
i'll give you another example, if i put a dac's fiber optic out into an amp, and plug in balanced headphones/speakers into the balanced out of the amp... is it still balanced? short answer, yes.
If you directly connect a fiber connection (TOSLINK, I assume) to an amplifier, it wouldn't make much sense. That amplifier would still need an internal DAC to convert to an analog signal for the amplifier. Who knows if the analog output from an internal DAC would be balanced?

I guess I'll throw a monkey wrench into this discussion anyway -
There is a school of thought (quite vociferous from some) that distinguishes between balanced and differential. In this convention, balanced means the ability to connect and input/output to balanced cables. So IOW, if you are dealing with real-world recording and performance, if the equipment in question is able to connect through long runs of balanced cable, then the equipment is indeed balanced.

On the other hand, what we are really interested in with headphone electronics is whether a DAC or amplifier circuit path is differential. A differential circuit removes all common mode distortion. In addition, typical voltage swings and slew rates (voltage acceleration) are doubled. In that case, the connections become secondary (assuming we are not interested in hundreds of feet of microphone cabling) and the circuit itself becomes more important. Now, an amplifier can either have balanced connections, or not … and it could still be a fully differential amplifier. Or, it could be a single-ended amplifier with fully balanced connections.

The purists among us would favor a fully differential DAC and a fully differential amplifier, with balanced output on the DAC and balanced input and output on the amplifier. The question is, where does the benefit really exist? In the amplifier circuit or the connections?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back