Dumb A@s Mistake Could Cost Me $800
Jan 6, 2009 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Carmantom

1000+ Head-Fier
Friday I went Walmart to get 2 money orders, where they are free. I gave the woman my money and asked for (1) $1000 and (1) $900. I always look at my receipts and Money Orders. You guessed it, that day I didn't.

I did not discover it until today. I am hopefully fortunate enough to have long time friend in risk-management who did some digging around. Instead of getting one for $1000 and one for $900, one was $1000 and the other was $90. That made me $810 short. My friend's digging around found the person who relieved that customer service rep and discovered a overage for $809.

I was instructed by her to talk to cash manager tomorrow and plead case. She said everything seems so obvious that there should be no problem. I sure hope so. She said it is a nightmare for overage for them as well as shortage. They usually wait for customer to come forward.

I feel so at their mercy.
frown.gif

Maybe I'll know something tomorrow. I hope. I never do something as dumb as that. Well, no matter how it turns out, I'm sure to learn something from this experience.

Jan 6, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 12
I've never done that but .... I was at Sam's Club and bought several cases of soda. I put that on the company credit card since this was a business purchase. I just signed at the register and the door person put the usual black mark on the receipt.

About six hours later, I discovered that a case of $5.99 A&W Rootbeer was now $600.00. Someone entered the UPC code wrong in the store computer.

You are not alone in costly mistakes!!!

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 12
I don't think you have anything to worry about. That amount of difference in their cash records will definitely stand out and since someone's already acknowledged the overage, you shouldn't have any problem.

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you have anything to worry about. That amount of difference in their cash records will definitely stand out and since someone's already acknowledged the overage, you shouldn't have any problem.

I'm hoping you're right between the cash drawer being off the same amount minus $1 and the fact that all this math is directly related to a $90 M.O. versus a $900 M.O. I should know some time in the am.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 12
I think you will be ok. I work in retail and stores hate having overages and shortages because the sales audit offices look at those figures every day and calls if there is anything egregious like that in their sales recap. $810 should get more than just the cashier in trouble.

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you will be ok. I work in retail and stores hate having overages and shortages because the sales audit offices look at those figures every day and calls if there is anything egregious like that in their sales recap. $810 should get more than just the cashier in trouble.

Well, the problem probably goes further then the cashier (unless of course he/she simply typed in the wrong number). Such mistakes are a part of life, and whilst there a huge annoyance I don't see any need to punish beyond a warning on a first offense (unless foul play is obvious/suspected). Hope it all works out for you.

Jan 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And OK I was. Today I was at the store at 6:am as instructed and they seemed to actually be apologetic. That surprised me. I do know the cashier that took over the drawer after the one who gave me the money order was "freaked out" (their words) at the overage. To me it took a great deal of honesty for them to not pocket an overage that never would have been traceable, given they were money orders.

A huge sigh of relief.
beyersmile.png

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmantom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And OK I was. Today I was at the store at 6:am as instructed and they seemed to actually be apologetic. That surprised me. I do know the cashier that took over the drawer after the one who gave me the money order was "freaked out" (their words) at the overage. To me it took a great deal of honesty for them to not pocket an overage that never would have been traceable, given they were money orders.

A huge sigh of relief.
beyersmile.png

nice to see there are still a few honest people left in the world.

glad to see everything worked out for ya.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 12
Well, a mistake that can happen to almost anyone.
Luckily this one had a happy ending!

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 12
I didnt mean that I wanted the cashier or anyone else to get in trouble, I just meant that that kind of mistake would have 2 levels of management as fail safes. The cashier gets counted out by a supervisor and that supervisor has her paperwork checked out by someone else, hence the mistake being caught, or all those people getting in trouble for such a gross oversight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back