Duke Ellington's Columbia Sessions circa 1932-1935....recommendations needed
Aug 5, 2009 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a huge Ellington fan. I've been looking for quite some time to buy a CD which documents the sessions surrounding "It Don't Mean A Thing If It Aint Got That Swing".......I can only find this track on greatest hits compilations.....anyone know of CD which is more of a chronological view of the Columbia Sessions from this period? Good Sound is a plus, but not obligatory.

Thanks

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a huge Ellington fan. I've been looking for quite some time to buy a CD which documents the sessions surrounding "It Don't Mean A Thing If It Aint Got That Swing".......I can only find this track on greatest hits compilations.....anyone know of CD which is more of a chronological view of the Columbia Sessions from this period? Good Sound is a plus, but not obligatory.

Thanks

I'm certainly am interested as well...

I have my SACD version of Blue's in Orbit which I listen to weekly...

Craig

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 4
I highly recommend you seek out this series:

51BWPH4dT-L._SS500_.jpg

The sound is probably as good as it is going to get for that era (unless you get my versions) and the documentation is good too.

EDIT:

There are also some rare "stereo" sessions of these years available although it's harder to find. Apparently, when some of these sessions were recorded they used two mono microphones recording two mono records at the same time. Some collector found that if you play these two pressings at the same time, you get a nice stereo reproduction. However, they hard as hell to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back