DUGGEH? GIN!!
May 29, 2007 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KYTGuy

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Duggeh -

My Brit friends say they like to use Plymouth Gin - haven't run across it here in the Liquor Controlled Washngton State, and am trying to get my relatives in Merry Olde to send me some...

How would you rate it vs my fave, Tanqueray #10??

I also like Bombay Sapphire, when I can't get #10.

Over to you..

May 29, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Tanqueray 10 is a Martini Gin, along with Junipero it is head and shoulders above all over production gins, both of them are wasted if you mix them with tonic (or your beverage of choice) in my opinion, the mixers destroys the ability to get at the complexities of the flavour and the lack of the classic London Gin juniper bite means that the drink seems sticky instead of refreshing.

Plymouth Gin is okay, but not special in any way, Id rate it below Hendricks and Blackwoods which I consider to be the best Gins for a gin and tonic.

Its got a slight sweetness to it which is kind of like Genever, and its also slightly florid, like Xoriguer Menorcan gin, although nothing like as overly so.

Grab a bottle and see how you like it, it does have a different character to the classic London Gins like Gordons, Beefeater etc.

Bombay Sapphire I think overpriced, its a very pretty bottle, and its a clean gin which is tasty, but the difference in price between Sapphire and Beefeater could go towards better tonic water. And in a Gin and Tonic, I consider the tonic to be far and away the more important ingredient to get right. Britvic crown cap glass bottles, mostly only seen in pubs is the best option, the mini tins of Schweppes are easier to get ahold of, although they arnt as good, they are the next best option.

May 29, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, if the question is aimed at Duggeh, you could have just sent a PM...

maybe it was open to discussion?
icon10.gif

and that is all i can add... i know nothing of this "GIN"
redface.gif

May 29, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 5
gin_sellsheet.jpg

I'm just pleased that Duggeh is familiar with Junipero, made here in my home town, let alone the fact that he ranks it highly.
icon10.gif
It's the best gin I have ever had, and I usually have 3-4 different gins at home. I almost always have Boodles around for a lighter martini, Tanqueray, Hendricks or Bombay (not Saphire) for tonic, and occasionally a T-10 or another boutiquey gin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back