Duet vs VDA2(/VAC1) and other DACs?
Dec 29, 2008 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

paaj

Headphoneus Supremus
Right now I'm using a Duet to feed an amp, which then also passes the signal through to my Solo.
I noticed the sound gets better when connected directly, and this also means I can leave my amp off, so I started looking at a way to have the source connect to two amps. I tried splitting the signal with absolutely earshredding results. Then I started looking for a DAC upgrade/sidestep with two outputs.

The CIAudio VDA2, with its two RCA outputs I could use it just as I want to.
other options are DACs with RCA + XLR output. thinking about:
Stello DA100Sig, [size=xx-small]very interesting too, but heard the balanced output is not as good as the RCA?[/size]
PS Audio Digital Link III,
ECD1 [size=xx-small](used with budget stretching)[/size]
Lavry DA10 [size=xx-small]looks very promissing too, but I'm also looking for a little more warmth in my music which I don't now if this one offers this. FWIR the DAC1 is out because of this.[/size]

so: DAC with 2 useable outputs, a little more warmth than a Duet with $1000 in mind.
has anyone had the opportunity to put the Duet (or miniDac) against one of those (especially the VDA2/VAC combo) ? any thoughts?

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 13
I use a PS Audio Digital Link III with the balanced outs going to powered monitors and the RCAs going to my Little Dot MK III. It works really well for me.

The latest issue of Tone Audio has a review that discusses the switchable upsampling of the PS Audio unit, suggesting that it's like "two DACs for one" and I agree-- the two settings tend to shift the overall "warmth" of the unit on different recordings, with no consistent "best' setting. I'm not really familiar with the Duet, but given your criteria I'd say the PS Audio is well worth considering.

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 13
Use a line router to deliver the DAC output to how many amps you want. I have one that is 2x4 which means it can be configured either input or output on either side. 2 inputs to four outputs or four inputs to two outputs using RCA plugs. These can also be configured for XLR in/out. The quality of these units can be anything you want them to be as long as you are willing to pay for the parts.

Mine was made by Art at this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~ampbox/

Some examples:

http://home.comcast.net/~ampbox/page5.html

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 13
That's a good non-expensive solution, could be a nice first DIY project when I have some spare time. I'll look into that.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 13
both the PS Audio and the CI Audio you mention are better, to my ears, than the Duet, but some here disagree. fwiw I found the Digital Link to be closer, in sound, to the VDA 2 than to the Duet and other Apogee products

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 13
Too bad it's so difficult to compare for myself. I like the DIY option and will do that first, maybe it does fix things and it's fun.
For next wave of upgraditis, those two are on top of the audition list, so I guess I'll save some more and make use of trial periods then.

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 13
I have Squeezebox 3's, not a Duet, and I'm told they have different Dacs, but I just use the Squeezebox in the bedroom to feed flacs to my CI dac. I think the CI dac sounds noticeably better. A vote for the CI Dac.

On a more expensive note, the Cambridge 840c also has dual outputs. You haven't mentioned a price range.

Bazile

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 13
I did actually, about $1000. not really a firm maximum as I'll be saving for a while anyway.
840c... dacMagic is said to come pretty close for 1/4 of the price? And I'm not really interested in paying a lot for the transport which I'm not really gonna use.

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 13
I'm thinking that a switchbox would probably meet your needs as well.

As for the DAC's you mentioned, I evaluated the CI DAC a while back, and even posted a review (note to self...post pics!!). I liked it a lot, and would have no qualms about recommending it.

I also just purchased a Duet, and I'm getting to know it right now. I like it with some setups, and dislike it with others. Seems more sensitive to down-stream component selection than most DAC's...probably because it tends to be a bit clinical in its presentation. I like it, don't get me wrong...I'm not sure it's the "sell your high-end CDP" giant killer that some folks do, however.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 13
That's also the reason upgraditis still haunts me... it sounds good, but is missing something. I think mostly because the GS10 speakers and SR325i (current favorite) are already bright by themselves.
Just remembered I still have a birthday present pending, I figured I could use it to try the trial period with the VDA2/VAC1 to see what it offers, so that's what I'm waiting for now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 13
I am outputting to two amps with the Duet. I use the RCA outputs from the breakout cable and a 1/4" phono to pair of RCA out of the headphone output. You could give that a try and see if it works for you. I use a Cayin A-50T driving Merlin TSM MX. The sound is absolutely stunning from this DAC!

Cheers,Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back