Duet 2 questions
Feb 29, 2012 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Daversm

New Head-Fier
So I am interested in an apogee Duet 2, but there are a few things that are confusing me.

As I have read,after connecting the Duet to the Mac I am still able to control output volume level from my mac, this is strange to me because I was under the impression that connecting the Duet to my Mac would mean bypassing the Mac DAC/amp and instead using the Duet 2 as the DAC and amp. The only way this would make sense to me is if by increasing the volume on Mac I am actually just controlling the amp on the Duet. In other words, pressing the volume up key on the Mac would be the same as turing the knob on the Duet. Of course I could be just missing something altogether.

The other question I had is, is there a way to bypass the Duet 2 headphone amp, leaving the Duet to just do converting and use an off board amp to power my headphones.

Last question, in the Duet manual it states that the Duet does not work with unpowered monitors. So I am assuming the Duet does not amplify the single when sending it to monitors (it does however have an headphone amp), thats why I must use powered monitors. So if the Duet does not have an amp for connecting to unpowered monitors. What does adjusting the volume knob on the Duet do, when monitors are selected on the Duet interface. I guess another way to phrase the question would be, in order to increase the monitor volume would I use the Duet or the volume knob on monitors. The later makes the most sense to me, being that as I understand it the Duet 2 has no amp for monitors just an amp for the headphone out. 

Sorry for any stupid questions, and thanks for you time.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
So I am interested in an apogee Duet 2, but there are a few things that are confusing me.

As I have read,after connecting the Duet to the Mac I am still able to control output volume level from my mac, this is strange to me because I was under the impression that connecting the Duet to my Mac would mean bypassing the Mac DAC/amp and instead using the Duet 2 as the DAC and amp. The only way this would make sense to me is if by increasing the volume on Mac I am actually just controlling the amp on the Duet. In other words, pressing the volume up key on the Mac would be the same as turing the knob on the Duet. Of course I could be just missing something altogether.

The other question I had is, is there a way to bypass the Duet 2 headphone amp, leaving the Duet to just do converting and use an off board amp to power my headphones.

Last question, in the Duet manual it states that the Duet does not work with unpowered monitors. So I am assuming the Duet does not amplify the single when sending it to monitors (it does however have an headphone amp), thats why I must use powered monitors. So if the Duet does not have an amp for connecting to unpowered monitors. What does adjusting the volume knob on the Duet do, when monitors are selected on the Duet interface. I guess another way to phrase the question would be, in order to increase the monitor volume would I use the Duet or the volume knob on monitors. The later makes the most sense to me, being that as I understand it the Duet 2 has no amp for monitors just an amp for the headphone out. 

Sorry for any stupid questions, and thanks for you time.

In response to your first question:  turning the volume up and down on the mac when the duet 2 is connected is the same as turning the knob.  The knob on the Duet 2 is an encoder switch, which controls a digitally controlled analog volume control circuit (most likely a relais of resistors on a chip).  Additionally the headphone amp is not bypassable, nor is the preamp output (the L R connections on the breakout cable you would connect a pair of powered speakers, a speaker amp (one without the preamp) or even a headphone amp with unbalanced 1/4" TS to RCA cables connections.  The only issues when running a home power amp or any other device using a TS to RCA cable is that the maximum output of the outputs is very very high in voltage.  the max is around 6 volts or more and most unbalanced home equipment maxes out at 2V voltage for their input/output voltage.  this means that you will probably not turn up the volume above -30 on a power amplifier without blowing out your speakers or ruining your speaker amp.  As professional studio monitors are made for much higher input levels via XLR connections (which also max out at more than 6V on the Apogee Duet 2), there are less compatibility issues with powered studio monitors.  However, I am getting excellent results (now that I have solved a ground loop issue) on an audiophile home speaker amp with 1/4" TS to RCA connections, keeping the volume control at or below -30 on the Apogee.  You can also connect the Duet 2 to a headphone amp using TS to RCA cables on the breakout cable outputs, but I would keep the volume on the Apogee at -20 to avoid overloading the inputs on the home headphone amp.  to control the volume on a headphone amp I would use the headphone amp's volume control and keep the volume control on the apogee turned to the -20 position, indicated on the display when turning the volume knob.  For powered speakers or amps without a preamp, turn the knob on the Apogee to control the volume.  I hope this helps.

-Eric

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Wow, that was a great explanation, helped me out a ton.

I read up on amp vs pre-amp, and things are making much more sense to me now. The Duet 2 seems great for what I want, I will probably go for it.
I am planning on getting the M-AUDIO BX5a, so I don't think I should have any problems. 

Thanks a bunch Eric, much appreciated. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 4
No problem.  The Duet 2 is a really nice unit, and it has a pretty good headphone section built in as well, with enough power to drive both my Sennheiser HD600 and AKG K701.

--Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back