Dubstep budget headphones for 14yr old.
Jun 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Somemother

New Head-Fier
Hi people!

I'm wanting to get my son a cheap set of headphones (not earbuds) for his 14th birthday.
He's really into dubstep - listening and writing his own stuff.

I'm fed up of him pinching my headphones (he ruined the last ones I lent him) so want him to have his own pair.

I've done a bit of research and narrowed it down to two pairs I've found for under £30. I can't really afford to spend any more atm.

They're for use with a pc and laptop not for with his mp3 so no worries about looking cool as he'll be hiding away in his room when using them.

Can you please tell me which is best out of:

JVC  HA-M5X
sony MDR-ZX600

Or are there any others (no earbud type ones pls) UNDER £30 that would be better?

Ty for your help. :)

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 26
What's wrong with ear buds or In-ears? I find that at your price point, they're typically superior to full-sized headphones, both in build quality, and in sound quality.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 26
How about the JVC HA-RX700?  http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-HA-RX700-Deep-Bass-Headphones/dp/B0019H7S44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340203055&sr=8-1 
It is recommended quite often around here as a good budget level headphone.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 26
I agree with Prakhar. Step it up and buy the Sony XB500. I have owned several pairs of bass-heavy headphones, and the XB500 takes the cake. Honestly, they shake your head under some dubstep drops. I listen to primarily dubstep, and the XB500's are what I recommend to anyone who is/ knows a true dubstep or bass music lover. And if you look on Amazon, they are for sale by Sony for $50 US, or to my calculations on todays conversion rates, £32 UK. They provide deep, heavy and loud bass. Perfect headphones for dubstep. Hope this helped.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 26
A mom who cares enough to join a forum just so she can get advice from pros, all to make sure her son gets the best she can afford.  He may never know it, but that's a better present than whatever cans you'll get him.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 26
Jun 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 26
Wow so many replies!

Huge thankyou to all of you. I hope you're pleased to hear I've got his dad to chip in and so we'll get the XB500 ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

If he ever becomes rich and famous I'll have to point him to this thread so he can buy you all a pint (when he's 18 obvs) hehe.

Also Warrenpchi - aw thankyou!

And again, srsly big thanks to all of you for your help. It's very much appreciated.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 26
You're welcome of course!  If he becomes the next Skream or Nero, it'll all be worth it.  Incidentally, if he ruined the pair you lent him, what are you using?

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 26
No problem at all! So happy to have my opinion be a part of your decision! Your son will definitely love his new headphones. I'm positive.

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:
I don't need good headphones I have a nice speakers.

Blasphemer! 
eek.gif
  Joking aside, I can see that you might not need a pair of cans atm.  Having flatmates necessitates headphones for me.

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:
I agree with Prakhar. Step it up and buy the Sony XB500. I have owned several pairs of bass-heavy headphones, and the XB500 takes the cake. Honestly, they shake your head under some dubstep drops. I listen to primarily dubstep, and the XB500's are what I recommend to anyone who is/ knows a true dubstep or bass music lover. And if you look on Amazon, they are for sale by Sony for $50 US, or to my calculations on todays conversion rates, £32 UK. They provide deep, heavy and loud bass. Perfect headphones for dubstep. Hope this helped.

Totally agree, these things will shake your skull no doubt!! Good luck and your son is going to go crazy the first time he hears them 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back