Dubstep Audiophiles
Oct 25, 2011 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dmyster

New Head-Fier
I need some help. I listen to a decent amount of dubstep, but my 900 pros are proving quite revealing of the music I have. Where do you get your dubstep?

Also, feel free to recommend some artists :) I'm a huge fan of 12th Planet, Fytch, Figure, and Sub Focus 
L3000.gif
 Who do you guys like?

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 20
Are you talking about badly compressed music or horribly recorded music ? If its compression that causes your porblems, I'd say go lossless, a lot of dubstep music can be found in lossless if you hard enough.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 20
I'd say a little of both. I'm knowledgeable about lossless, and have converted what I can to lossless. I was hoping to find more sources for good quality dubstep. Where do you get yours?

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 20
Converted to lossless ? 
confused.gif
 If you convert a mp3 to lossless you do not gain any more data and it still sounds the same. I get my music from *certain sites* although I do sometimes purchase music online from the record label.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
I need some help. I listen to a decent amount of dubstep, but my 900 pros are proving quite revealing of the music I have. 

You have just entered into one of the biggest quandaries of audiophile-land.  A great deal of pop and electronic-based music is created with inferior parts.  If the band is using any samples, most of those samples are highly maximized and compressed.  It's amazing, but most mid-to-high level headphones that are talked about on Head-Fi will easily reveal these flaws.

But I could be way off base here, and that isn't your dilemma.  Like Parall3l said, try finding higher bitrate and/or lossless files of the same music to see if that is your problem.  I do not tolerate anything less than 320 kbps in my library unless I cannot find the track I have anywhere else.

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Converted to lossless ? 
confused.gif
 If you convert a mp3 to lossless you do not gain any more data and it still sounds the same. I get my music from *certain sites* although I do sometimes purchase music online from the record label.

I don't mean directly, just as a whole. Converting was a poor choice of wording, perhaps upgrading? Essentially re-ripping/*acquiring*. My problem is I cannot find a lot of dubstep, and what I do find is generally of poor quality. Usually...mp3 *gasp* /ohthehorror! and not even 320 kbps either :frowning2:

Thanks for your help by the by, I forgot to mention that earlier.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 20
Ill go ahead and reccomend Pandora. They have pretty decent quality especially if you upgrade to Pandora One, which has their "higher quality" music. They have tons of almost any station. I like Flux Pavillion a lot, and daft punk(not necessarily dub i know). Pandora is pretty sweet in general imo, can get it on your smart phone and etc. 

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 20
I really enjoy some of the sets put up in the dubstep.fm archives on my tf10s. Ive noticed that I tend to prefer ones done by JVIZ but Im sure some of the other DJs are good too. Im new to dubstep and like the free and easy factor of not having to really find out who I like and just listen to these. One that I remember being really good off the top of my head was 9-4-11.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 20
Yup that's probably the best choice other then actually buying tracks. Being most of what you find online for downloads (wherever that may be) won't break 320kbps most likely.

Artist: Doctor P, Bassnectar, Nero, Skrillex, Faux ^^

Quote:
ger your self in .cd there's flacs of all your dubstep artists even those on youtube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back