Dubstep Anyone?
Aug 29, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #32 of 59
I've seen Plastician and Benga, both were great, especially Benga, my shoes are permanently scarred from that night lol.

Don't actually have that much dubstep in my music collection though. Check out Skream's Watch the Ride mix, that's rather tasty, everything he does is just filthy. Burial and Four Tet's collaboration is interesting.

Thanks for all the links and stuff so far, wish I could contribute some more
redface.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #33 of 59
the new benga EP is good, forgot to mention that in previous post.
Buzzin/One Million

not pushing any boundaries for him but sick nonetheless

just bought tickets to see him play with Skream and to a Caspa show too. super pumped

the new-ish Caspa full length is not stellar unfortunately though certainly has some sick tracks.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #34 of 59
More leftfield than most dubstep, but I feel I should pimp Three EP's by Shackleton. He jumped to Perlon, and their dust is all over it. The sound is super clean; think R. Villalobos with bar beats. I've played it out over the last week.

I better not lather too much after a short time.

sample

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #35 of 59
The new Shackleton is dark and minimal - it's an enjoyable listen for a walk or train ride but I scratch my head thinking of how these songs would work in a DJ set.

I'll throw out recommendations for two other new albums: 'Terminal Static' by Broken Note and 'The Words Below' by DJ Hidden. Broken Note, to my ears, make the most deliciously evil, complex and tough dubstep beats in the game, period. The DJ Hidden album has more jungle than dubstep, but still has a similar techy/dark aesthetic.

On the more minimal, dancefloor-oriented tip, I recently enjoyed a listen to Pinch's 'Underwater Dancehall.'

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isao_Tanaka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cybernetika - Atropos

I'm listening to that album now - thanks for the heads up! It's decent, but I think you may be confusing dubstep with drum'n'bass. I would call this psychedelic-flavored drum'n'bass - these tunes would fit right into an Ed Rush & Optical set.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #38 of 59
To be honest, I'm a little behind the times, just picked up Burial's "Untrue" on vinyl and have been introduced. I'm checking out the rest of the stuff in this thread...I already had a little Kode9 and Skream before, but I'm looking for stuff a little further from the reggae side of things.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to that album now - thanks for the heads up! It's decent, but I think you may be confusing dubstep with drum'n'bass. I would call this psychedelic-flavored drum'n'bass - these tunes would fit right into an Ed Rush & Optical set.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah! You're probably right lol, i'm quite ignorant when it comes to dubstep/dnb.
Just thought i would post it here anyway since it's free, i'm glad you like it!

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, I'm a little behind the times, just picked up Burial's "Untrue" on vinyl and have been introduced. I'm checking out the rest of the stuff in this thread...I already had a little Kode9 and Skream before, but I'm looking for stuff a little further from the reggae side of things.

If you're into things sounding a bit dark, techy and evil, try King Cannibal, Scorn and Broken Note. Also check out the Two Fingers 'Instrumentals' disc (Two Fingers is Amon Tobin & Doubleclick).

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for stuff a little further from the reggae side of things.

Judging by a couple of your previous posts and that you like Silent Shout., I guess you're around my age, so I would check out A Mutual Antipathy by Scua. It's a good starter.

You can listen to the whole album free here.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Judging by a couple of your previous posts and that you like Silent Shout., I guess you're around my age, so I would check out A Mutual Antipathy by Scua. It's a good starter.

I think you mean Scuba
smily_headphones1.gif

Check out the whole Hotflush Recordings catalog - it's neither menacing nor overly Reggae-inspired. What Digital Witchcraft were to breakbeats, Scuba is to dubstep.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #44 of 59
Alrighty then...Hotflush Recordings - Download

I'd start with the Boxcutter and Untold releases.

And I was *definitely* confusing Scuba with Vaccine...Scuba does *not* produce twinkly, melodic tracks in the vein of Digital Witchcraft. And he's also not an attractive woman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back