Dubstep Anyone?
Jun 10, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #19 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just moved to the city and would be keen to get some live action, so I would also be interested in recommendations.

I think Subswara plays a monthly live show in the city.

Do you listen to Mary Anne Hobbs?

hey moodysteve, I know this question is from a while ago. Don't know too much about dub myself, but do know that I friend of mine who is all about it goes to the club Love to see a lot of dubstep guys. Just noticed DJ Distance is playing there on June 19th.

have you found any other places in the city yourself?

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey moodysteve, I know this question is from a while ago. Don't know too much about dub myself, but do know that I friend of mine who is all about it goes to the club Love to see a lot of dubstep guys. Just noticed DJ Distance is playing there on June 19th.

have you found any other places in the city yourself?

The only other dubstep show I know about that plays regularly is Subswara's residence and I forget where it is. I didn't make it to the last show but want to go to the next one.

Besides that, I imagine that the places that used to cater to the jungle crowd (few places in Brooklyn) may be dubstep friendly, but I don't think that genre has taken enough of a hold in the States yet to have a good selection of shows.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Just noticed DJ Distance is playing there on June 19th.

Dude, check that out and LMK so I can live vicariously through you. I'm in love with My Demons right now. That's how out of it I've been.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #22 of 59
I'm out of town that weekend, otherwise would love to go. will get my friend to go and report back.

Listened to My Demons today on way to work, still getting into it, sort of wish the whole thing were bangers like Traffic but I need to give it more time. thanks for heads up on that one.

you listen to Beta Evers at all? Just got Shibari by them and it is sick, might be your style too.

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, check that out and LMK so I can live vicariously through you. I'm in love with My Demons right now. That's how out of it I've been.

My Demons is good, but its kinda bi-polar to me; some stellar moments (Traffic, Mistral) and some weak ones as well (Weigh Down, Cella).

If you want a real banger from top to bottom try Benga's "Diary" and Skream's "Skream!" (both more reggae influenced).

Skream's "Auto-Dub" is just straight nasty.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #25 of 59
Oh man, you're in for a treat. Fro Warrior is awesome. I can thank kwitel for introducing me to it.

Quote:

you listen to Beta Evers at all? Just got Shibari by them and it is sick, might be your style too.

Can't say I have. I better now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and some weak ones as well (Weigh Down, Cella).

I'm surprised, especially Weigh Down. The last half of that song does it for me, and no mention of Night Vision?

I wouldn't call Auto Dub nasty. It's a great, great song, but something like say Untitled Symphony by Bar 9, or 26 Basslines by the discussed Benga. That is nasty to me.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Oh man, you're in for a treat. Fro Warrior is awesome. I can thank kwitel for introducing me to it.

Can't say I have. I better now.

I'm surprised, especially Weigh Down. The last half of that song does it for me, and no mention of Night Vision?

I wouldn't call Auto Dub nasty. It's a great, great song, but something like say Untitled Symphony by Bar 9, or 26 Basslines by the discussed Benga. That is nasty to me.

Yo-a little trivia for y'all; in "Night Vision", theres a couple of samples of an actor speaking at the song opening.

Who's the actor and what movie's it from?

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

Good trivia, give me Denzel Washington in Fallen for $100 killer dough.

On a whim, I picked up Antipathy by Scuba last night.

Dude-ur good.
I thought it was Training Day...

Lemme know what you think of Scuba.

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #29 of 59
There is a really great song on that album by the name of Tell Her. It sounded like something off The Fragile. The middle section of the album is fairly good. It would of been better if they lopped off a couple of tracks.

--

Has there been any good dubstep lately? I've only really checked out Versus Grain by Cloaks, which I enjoyed, but it's very industrial - akin to Vex'd - so not for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back