Dual turntable issue, need advice
Sep 5, 2007 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

n4k33n

100+ Head-Fier
I posted this in the cables forum, but I wasn't getting any responses, and I thought it might have a better audience here. Moderators feel free to fix the thread location if you find issue with this.

I have a dual turntable like this one http://www.dual-reference.com/tables/CS503-1.htm

Anyway, the RCA cabling it uses is shoddy and creates feedback and I have to fiddle with it until its in the right position. I don't know if its a loose solder job at the terminations or what, but they are old rca connectors and look and sound bad. I'd like to replace it with something nicer. Unfortunatly, its not a matter of just plugging in some interconnects. The other end of the cables seems to dissapear into the body of the turntable. Is replacing the cable with something quality something I can do by myself? Whats the process of going about this?

Otherwise, the unit is in perfect order.

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 12
Not sure whether the cables are soldered onto a board inside or directly to the arm wand wiring on this model.

If it's just going to a circuit board then you could probably just replace the whole lead out cable with something like shielded Van Damme microphone cable which is very good and not too expensive. Microphone cable is what you need anyway as the signal carried is very week remember.

If the cables are connected directly into the tonarm base you are probably better off leaving it alone and perhaps just changing the phono plugs on the existing cable.

Rewiring a tonearm wand is tricky and can get expensive and I'm not sure if it's it's worthwhile on a deck like this.

These are great little decks though and all turntables need careful set up and siting away from other electronics and speakers as they are very microphonic devices. This is how they work after all.

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 12
I have dual 1219 and have the same problems. Left chanel is fading out and I already changed phono plugs. I'll probably have to recable it too, or find an expert to help me, but for now I haven't find any here.

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by egidio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have dual 1219 and have the same problems. Left chanel is fading out and I already changed phono plugs. I'll probably have to recable it too, or find an expert to help me, but for now I haven't find any here.

Are you sure it isn't the cartridge?

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 12
I'm looking at tonearm cables and they look pretty straightforward. Judging by the picture it doesn't look like i would have to rewire anything, just replace this cable.

Heres a picture i found of a tonearm cable for reference
CrimsonCable.jpg

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...) Heres a picture i found of a tonearm cable for reference
CrimsonCable.jpg

I'd be suprised, if a cable like that would work for your Dual. The contact plate inside usually has blade/flat pin connectors. I haven't found a service manual for your 503-1, but for example you can check out the service manual for the 505-2 here: http://wega.we.funpic.de/505-2s/ If you look at the contact plate (item 156) and the correcponding cable ends (item 233), you'll see what I mean...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 12
OK, That is interesting looking. Where could i find a new one of those guys?

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 12
Just get a new cable at Radio Shack and solder it on. Ten minutes max.

See ya
Steve

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get a new cable at Radio Shack and solder it on. Ten minutes max.

See ya
Steve

I wish I still lived in Santa Monica, because I suck at soldering. I'm so terrible at it, its pretty much a non option.

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 12
If it's anything like my 510 you can just solder on your new cables without touching the tonearm cabling. [size=xx-small]That 505 manual looks more like the cables go straight to the arm though.
I'd also follow the mic-cable advice as with such a week signal cables will make a difference (shielding and of course impedance)[/size]

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking at tonearm cables and they look pretty straightforward. Judging by the picture it doesn't look like i would have to rewire anything, just replace this cable.

Heres a picture i found of a tonearm cable for reference
CrimsonCable.jpg

That is a DIN plug on the end which is pretty standard on many tonearms these days but not on the older Dual's which are all integrated turntable systems anyway.

Also that is the external leadout wiring which is pretty straightforward to change. Where it gets tricky is if the wiring inside the actual tonearm wand itself is damaged.

Companies like Incognito make a kit to DIY rewire with one unbroken length from cartridge tags to phono plugs which obviously has sonic benefits but the arm on the newer Dual's like the CS-505 is Ultra Low Mass and I'd say more fiddly than most for internal rewiring.

Looking at Lini's schematics it should be pretty straightforward to strip the little tags of the existing cable and solder them to a new one. Like Steve says Radioshack will be the place.

Get a length of microphone cable as this will be the best sonic upgrade. Modern spec LCOFC shielded mic cables will be much quieter than the old wiring on there at the moment.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 12
OK I took it mostly apart and I see where it is. Its a small pcb with 4 solder points for the RCA plugs (phono). It looks like the connections are barely holding together. A resoldering with new cables will help it immensely, if I don't destroy it in the process.

Thanks for your help guys, I might need more later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back