Dual-to-single DIP adapter
Dec 19, 2007 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

slowpogo

500+ Head-Fier
Does such a thing exist--a Browndog-like adapter that reduces a mounted, dual-channel IC to just one of its channels?

I'm curious because I'd like to try AD8599 in a ground channel...and because, if it doesn't exist, it would be fairly easy to fabricate (an entrepreneurial idea).

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Why doesn't it make sense? It's reasonable to want to *try* all three channels with the same opamp. But if that opamp only comes in a dual design...at this point you'd have to do some crazy diy reconfiguring of a browndog with wires or resistor leads.

I'm sure success varies with different chips but people have done this before.

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 8
He's not asking if it's a good idea to use that opamp, he's asking if there's an adapter to go from dual to single config.

I don't believe there is. You could ask Warren at Tangentsoft if he has done something like that...probably not sense it's not on his site. Not a bad idea though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Non-three channel amps are scary
tongue.gif
. You'll get the sound of batteries, capacitors or other parts in the power section instead, not good. Many amps are 3 ch, but you don't think of them as such. Using a TLE2426 or resistors/opamp as railsplitter/VG makes it a ground channel, doesn't it? It will sink the return current and affect the sound. Or how is a 3 ch amp defined? Does VG have to be separated from OG to call it a 3 ch amp? The sound is the same, or almost the same. I've tried this live with a switch and can't tell the difference. What makes a difference is the quality of this ground channel. It affects the sound just as much as the left and right channels.

I've used one channel of dual opamps on BrownDogs. Either you can lift the pins not used (ch B) on the SOIC chip (5,6,7) or cut the traces on the BrownDog. Then you have to make a bridge from pin 1 to pin 6 (output) and from pin 8 to 7 (V+). To be safe you should either make sure pins 1 and 8 are not connected to anything on your board or brake those pins on the BrownDog. I did this to find out how AD823 really sounds (used in all 3 ch), and I've done this when I've been out of single opamps.

Dec 20, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Non-three channel amps are scary
tongue.gif

indeed, one less active distortion generator.
Quote:

You'll get the sound of batteries, capacitors or other parts in the power section instead, not good.

you get them with active ground chanel too, in the measurable ranges.
Quote:

Many amps are 3 ch, but you don't think of them as such. Using a TLE2426 or resistors/opamp as railsplitter/VG makes it a ground channel, doesn't it?

NO. an active chanel has active devices in it.
tle2426 is an active chanel, but it has been passed by other systems AND amps that rely on it for a reference often use something else to generate the actual output ground.
a resistor based railsplitter (with no buffers/active junk) is TOTALLY reliant on the caps for ground current sinking/sourcing.
Quote:

It will sink the return current and affect the sound. Or how is a 3 ch amp defined?

as the fist person to advocate their unconditional use in many threads of late this is not a question you should be asking.

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 8
I once thought about ordering a bunch of custom made adapters from a pcb prototyping company like olimex. it would cost 36 euro for about 100 adapters. if there's some interest, a group buy could probably be arranged

May 5, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back