Dual-Purpose Headphones
Jun 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mcarther101

New Head-Fier
Currently, I have garbage Turtle Beach X12 headphone that just sounds muffled and uninspiring.  I'm looking for a full-size stereo headphone that I can play off of two different sources: my computer (with on-board sound, but decent gaming motherboard) and my home theater AV receiver.  I want something that sounds cinematic, and exciting watching movies, but can also serve a purpose when gaming, or even listening to music.

I read Mad Lust Envy's thread reviewing gaming headphones, and am drawn to Beyerdynamic's DT990's.  The problem, is that the 32ohm version is considerably more expensive than the 250ohm version.  While I consider eventually buying a portable, and desk amp for headphones, as well as upgrading to a PCI-e soundcard for my computer, I'm in no rush to shell out extra money if unnecessary.  

Can I expect a reasonable amount of volume/clarity still from a 250ohm headphone out of 1) my computer's built-in X79 Extreme 4 motherboard, and 2) my Yamaha RX-V373 AV Receiver?

The 250ohm version can be found for about $155 whereas the 32ohm version is $290! At which point, I would assume, I could also budget a decent amp if necessary, right?

What are your recommendations?

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Currently, I have garbage Turtle Beach X12 headphone that just sounds muffled and uninspiring.  I'm looking for a full-size stereo headphone that I can play off of two different sources: my computer (with on-board sound, but decent gaming motherboard) and my home theater AV receiver.  I want something that sounds cinematic, and exciting watching movies, but can also serve a purpose when gaming, or even listening to music.

I read Mad Lust Envy's thread reviewing gaming headphones, and am drawn to Beyerdynamic's DT990's.  The problem, is that the 32ohm version is considerably more expensive than the 250ohm version.  While I consider eventually buying a portable, and desk amp for headphones, as well as upgrading to a PCI-e soundcard for my computer, I'm in no rush to shell out extra money if unnecessary.  

Can I expect a reasonable amount of volume/clarity still from a 250ohm headphone out of 1) my computer's built-in X79 Extreme 4 motherboard, and 2) my Yamaha RX-V373 AV Receiver?

The 250ohm version can be found for about $155 whereas the 32ohm version is $290! At which point, I would assume, I could also budget a decent amp if necessary, right?

What are your recommendations?

I think your receiver should be fine, but computer won't. 250ohm is rather picky to drive, especially if you are on budget. Schiit Magni($99, desktop) and E12(Around $120, portable) should be able to power it though.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, so if I get the E12 portable amp, can it double as a desk amp? Just keep it plugged into the USB for full-time use, then if I want to ever take it with me, grab it and plug it into my phone or portable media player? Or would that be bad for the lithium ion battery, and decrease it's life?

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thanks, so if I get the E12 portable amp, can it double as a desk amp? Just keep it plugged into the USB for full-time use, then if I want to ever take it with me, grab it and plug it into my phone or portable media player? Or would that be bad for the lithium ion battery, and decrease it's life?

It would be bad, but I doubt it'd be that bad. I keep my laptop plugged in 27/7 and it still has good battery when it's unplugged. But I'm not an expert at batteries.

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 5
For a little bit less than the E12, look into the C&C BH ($100). Great little amp with amazing battery life. My guess it that it would be fine with the DT990 250 ohm (worked well for me with some DT880 250 ohm), but ask in the discussion thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/615

Users who are viewing this thread

Back