dual opamp el2227 / ad8620 comparison
Jul 13, 2002 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

geom_tol

100+ Head-Fier
I got a couple of the new el2227 dual op-amps from Elantec today. The specs on them are really good. Comparable to the ad8620. Current draw and power requrements are similar to.
The elantec applications guy told me they will be available in august, forgot to ask about the cost.

The biggest difference to the analog parts is that the input is bipolar type.

I used my meta42 amp for the comparison. Pioneer pd-54 cd player and Beyer dt990-250 headphones.

It's good. It lacks some of the astounding top end clarity and sparkle of the ad8620. This gives the impression that the midrange is better on the elantec part. Same phenomenon as when comparing akg k501's to hd580/hd600.
wink.gif

For very 'busy' music with lots of instruments this is a welcome thing. The ad8620 is almost too good, you hear too much detail if you know what I mean.
This same thing is what makes the burr brown opa627 so pleasant to listen to.

So for portbale amps this should be a good part to use. I will check on what they will cost on monday.

Btw. the meta42 amp is really cool in that all opamps I have put in it have worked without any apparent errors.
20 years from now when all these opamps are out of production esoteric opamp boutiques will offer them at outrageous prices.
It will be like valves are today.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back