Dual Op-amps sound test on DAP and usb DAC
Jan 7, 2023 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lobarkaine

100+ Head-Fier
I've choose to open this thread 'cos as many others forumers I like dying and my couriosity about opamps may influence the sound of a DAP or DAC.

Many manufacturers now offer sockable opamps and suggest better opamps solutions to give to the consumers the possibility to increase the performances of theyr gears or adapt the sound to theyr personal tastes.

To give coerency to my opamps test I've choose primary the ZIKU HD-10X single opamps DAP with CS4398 cad and a JRC 5532d opamp:

ZIKU HD X10.jpg

And for more complex test an AIYIMA A3 usb dac with dual ES9038Q2m dacs chipset VT1728A + Ak4113VF + TPA6120A2 + NE5532x2 + Lm4562 + NE5532 + C1237 with more circuits positions options:

Internal.jpg

Obviously the opamps performances give their best in a dedicated circuit, but I will only make a journey in the 8dip socket dual opamps teorically straight replaciable NE5532P, NE5532D, NE5532DD, NE5532N, NE5534P, LF353N, OP275, TL052CP, TL072, JRC2068D, JRC2068DD, JRC2114D, JRC2114DD, JRC4556AD, JRC4558D, JRC5532D, JRC5532DD, LM4562, LME49860, LM833N, LME49720, OPA2132, OPA2134, OPA2227PA, OPA2604, OPA2607, AD712JN, AD823AN, AD827JN, MUSES01, MUSES02, MUSES8820, MUSES8920, ORACLE II and so on I could find, so I don't enter in a technical analisys but simply test the sound differences i could perceive with different sound tracks mastered 24 bits up to 192khz.
I'll give to every opamps a little burnin' to have the right performances.

Every forumers help, suggestions and personal experiences are welcome.

The first test I propose is on a different NE5532 op amps in the same conditions.

I've used the Ziku HD X10, only one op amp socked, with IKKO OH1 iems, not a tecnical test, only sound perceived differences.
To be shure I've try 2 of every different 5532.

The sound firm is the same for all the 5532 but the sound differences are udible, all present sibilants, all have neutral signature but the Philips is an hint more warmish, really just an hint, the TI has udible more output then all the others and is more coerent in the whole frequencies spectrum, the JRC DD is very interesting for his tecnical performances an hint more silent then the others, but more dry, maybe could be good in a buffer position in a different circuit.

JRC 5532D: Operating Voltage ( ±3V~±20V )
Deep bass extention not fully under controll, average details retrival but a little cold presentation, an hint pearcing airy high mids and highs, present sibilants, an hint close and low heigh soundstage.

JRC 5532DD: Operating Voltage ( ±3V~±20V )
Deep bass extention tight and controlled an hint dry, good details retrival but a little cold presentation, brilliant airy high mids and an hint pearcing highs, present sibilants, average soundstage.

TI NE5532P: Operating Voltage ( ±3V~±20V )
Audible more volume output. Deep bass extention tight and firm, very good details retrival an hint cold presentation, airy high mids and brilliant highs, present sibilants, more then average soundstage.

Philips NE5532N: Operating Voltage ( ±3V~±20V )
Deep bass extention tight and firm, good details retrival neutral presentation, neutral airy high mids and highs, present sibilants, more then average soundstage.

Shurely others forumers have done the same test and may confirm my personal impressions.

Another group of opamps I will test are well known by the dyers, in the net is possible found a lot of treads about the LM4562NA/LME49720NA/LME49860NA.
Teorically are the same opamp released in different time where the 4562 his the oldest, probably with a different wafer fab production, so they must be sound the same, but it is not so, there are little difference among them.

LM4562NA: Operating Voltage ( ±2.5V to ± 17V )
Good subbass extention, fast tight punchy bass performance, neutral detailed total presentation, clear chimey mids and highs, present sibilants, could be fatiguin with trebles enfatized iems. Very good dimensional soundstage.

LME49720: Operating Voltage ( ±2.5V to ± 17V )
Punchy! Similar caracteristics then LME49860, more equilibrate but maybe an hint less refined. Fast tight punchy bass performance, an hint more warmer then LM4562, detailed total presentation, clean mids and highs, present sibilants. Good dimensional soundstage.

LME49860: Operating Voltage ( ±2.5V to ±22V )
Agile! Fast tight bass performance, clear detailed total presentation, clean mids, airy extended and an hint euphonic highs could be fatiguin with trebles enfatized iems, present sibilants. Good dimensional soundstage.

All works fine in the battery powered ZIKU but give the best in the Aiyima, where I've preferred the LM4562 to the 5532.

The Texas Instrument Burr Brown are a well known group of op amps to the dyers, to my impression all share the same warmish sound but the OPA2132P that is the more neautral and all have good instruments separation but only an average soundstage, nothing wrong but if your main goal is a great spatiality you have to look elsewere, anyway if you like a more relaxed, realistic and intimate sound this are the op amps for you, .

OPA2604AP: Operating Voltage ( ±4.5 V to ±24 V)
Equilibrate warmish! Fast tight bass performance an hint dry, warmish detailed total presentation, good body male and female voices presentation, highs airy without fatigue. Average dimensional soundstage.

OPA2107AP: Operating Voltage ( ±4.5 V to ±18 V)
Very equilibrate warmish! Tight bass performance, warmish realistic detailed total presentation, good body correct male and female voices presentation, open airy highs without fatigue. Average dimensional soundstage.

OPA2111KP: Operating Voltage ( ±5 V to ±18 V)
Neutral warmish! Deep solid bass performance, realistic detailed total presentation an hint warmish, good body male and female voices presentation, airy highs an hint fatiguing. Average dimensional soundstage.

OPA2132P: Operating Voltage ( ±2.5V ±18V)
Equilibrate! Realistic tight bass performance, equilibrate detailed total presentation, voices are an hint behind, highs airy without fatigue. Average dimensional soundstage. Due to his low operating voltage works well in a battery powered DAPs.

OPA2134PA: Operating Voltage ( 5 V to 36 V)
Powerfull! Deep solid fisical bass performance exalt midbass, warm detailed total presentation, highs airy and warm without any fatigue. Right instuments position in an average dimensional soundstage.

OPA2227P: Operating Voltage (±2.5 V to ±18 V)
Neutral warmish! Deep solid bass performance, realistic warmish detailed total presentation, full body male and female voices, open airy highs without any fatigue. Average dimensional soundstage. Due to his low operating voltage works well in a battery powered DAPs.

The Analog Devices are neutral brights opamps, detailed and clear well suited for those that are looking for trasparency and fast transients, but could be fatiguing and lakc a little of body.

AD823AN: Operating Voltage ( ±1.5 V to ±18 V)
Neutral clear! Tight fast bass performance, detailed mids/highs centered transparent total presentation, clear but lacks an hint of body male voices, extended female voices, airy sparkle highs, present but controlled sibilants. Good dimensional soundstage. This one due to his low operating voltage works particulary well in a battery powered DAPs.

AD827JN: Operating Voltage (±4.5 V to ±18 V)
Neutral! Tight extended fast bass performance, detailed well extended transparent total presentation, correct but lacks an hint of body male voices, well reproduced female voices, extended airy sparkle highs, present sibilants could be fatiguing. Good dimensional soundstage.

Muses are the JRC flagship opamps series. All share a silky detailed sound, very audiophile and well performing.

Muses 8820: Operating Voltage ( 3.5V to ±16V)
Silky! Deep tight bass, warmish silky clean and detailed total presentation, extended highs, very good instruments separation, good body natural male and female voices presentation, open airy soundstage. Present sibilants.

Muses 8920: Operating Voltage (±3.5V to ±16V)
Neutral warmish! Deep fast tight bass, warmish silky clean and detailed total presentation, extended highs, very good instruments separation, good body natural male and female voices presentation, open airy soundstage. Present sibilants.

Muses 01: Operating Voltage (±9V to ±16V)
Neutral detailed! Fast deep tight bass, neutral clean and detailed total presentation, well extended sparkly highs, very good instruments separation, correct male and female voices presentation, open airy soundstage. Present sibilants.

Muses 02: Operating Voltage (±3.5V to ±16V)
Silky neutral! Deep, fast tight bass, neutral silky clean and detailed total presentation, well extended chimey highs, very good instruments separation, natural male and female voices presentation, open airy soundstage. Occasional sibilants.

Sonic Scientific has launched the new family of discrete hybrid op-Amp, Oracle, which has been specifically designed for superior audio applications. This opams are audiophile grade, very detailed and well sounding.

Sonic Scientific Oracle 2: Operating Voltage (±5V to ±16 V)
Neutral detailed! Punchy deep, fast tight bass, very clean and detailed total presentation, well extended chimey highs, very good instruments separation, neutral correct male and female voices presentation,very open airy soundstage. Present sibilants.

This are my personal sonic sintetic reviews of all the opamps I've, I hope could be helpfull to choose the right one for every personal taste.

Have fun and good music to all.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 8
Moved in the tread post.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Moved in the tread post.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 8
This resource is an excellent source of help. I have purchased bluetooth receiver with single ES9018k2m + qcc5125 (LDAC) off AliEx for 20 USD and it is still on the way but I was searching for a drop in replacement for a Chinese NE5532 (JRC?) ever since. While searching, I came across many fake op-amps which are basically relabelled lm358? Unfortunately, my only sources are Ali/Ebay. I would also like to see a technical performance comparison of those op-amps as well (rise time, THD+N, etc...). There is Oracle II listed on AE, don't know if it is original or not.

Thank you OP for taking the time to share your knowledge & experiences.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 8
I've choose to open this thread 'cos as many others forumers I like dying and my couriosity about opamps may influence the sound of a DAP or DAC.

Many manufacturers now offer sockable opamps and suggest better opamps solutions to give to the consumers the possibility to increase the performances of theyr gears or adapt the sound to theyr personal tastes.

To give coerency to my opamps test I've choose primary the ZIKU HD-10X single opamps DAP with CS4398 cad and a JRC 5532d opamp:

And for more complex test an AIYIMA A3 usb dac with dual ES9038Q2m dacs chipset VT1728A + Ak4113VF + TPA6120A2 + NE5532x2 + Lm4562 + NE5532 + C1237 with more circuits positions options:

Obviously the opamps performances give their best in a dedicated circuit, but I will only make a journey in the 8dip socket dual opamps teorically straight replaciable NE5532P, NE5532D, NE5532DD, NE5532N, NE5534P, LF353N, OP275, TL052CP, TL072, JRC2068D, JRC2068DD, JRC2114D, JRC2114DD, JRC4556AD, JRC4558D, JRC5532D, JRC5532DD, LM4562, LME49860, LM833N, LME49720, OPA2132, OPA2134, OPA2227PA, OPA2604, OPA2607, AD712JN, AD823AN, AD827JN, MUSES01, MUSES02, MUSES8820, MUSES8920, ORACLE II and so on I could find, so I don't enter in a technical analisys but simply test the sound differences i could perceive with different sound tracks mastered 24 bits up to 192khz.
I'll give to every opamps a little burnin' to have the right performances.

Every forumers help, suggestions and personal experiences are welcome.

The first test I propose is on a different NE5532 op amps in the same conditions.

I've used the Ziku HD X10, only one op amp socked, with IKKO OH1 iems, not a tecnical test, only sound perceived differences.
To be shure I've try 2 of every different 5532.

The sound firm is the same for all the 5532 but the sound differences are udible, all present sibilants, all have neutral signature but the Philips is an hint more warmish, really just an hint, the TI has udible more output then all the others and is more coerent in the whole frequencies spectrum, the JRC DD is very interesting for his tecnical performances an hint more silent then the others, but more dry, maybe could be good in a buffer position in a different circuit.

JRC 5532D: Operating Voltage ( ±3V~±20V )
Deep bass extention not fully under controll, average details retrival but a little cold presentation, an hint pearcing airy high mids and highs, present sibilants, an hint close and low heigh soundstage.

JRC 5532DD: Operating Voltage ( ±3V~±20V )
Deep bass extention tight and controlled an hint dry, good details retrival but a little cold presentation, brilliant airy high mids and an hint pearcing highs, present sibilants, average soundstage.

TI NE5532P: Operating Voltage ( ±3V~±20V )
Audible more volume output. Deep bass extention tight and firm, very good details retrival an hint cold presentation, airy high mids and brilliant highs, present sibilants, more then average soundstage.

Philips NE5532N: Operating Voltage ( ±3V~±20V )
Deep bass extention tight and firm, good details retrival neutral presentation, neutral airy high mids and highs, present sibilants, more then average soundstage.

Shurely others forumers have done the same test and may confirm my personal impressions.

Another group of opamps I will test are well known by the dyers, in the net is possible found a lot of treads about the LM4562NA/LME49720NA/LME49860NA.
Teorically are the same opamp released in different time where the 4562 his the oldest, probably with a different wafer fab production, so they must be sound the same, but it is not so, there are little difference among them.

LM4562NA: Operating Voltage ( ±2.5V to ± 17V )
Good subbass extention, fast tight punchy bass performance, neutral detailed total presentation, clear chimey mids and highs, present sibilants, could be fatiguin with trebles enfatized iems. Very good dimensional soundstage.

LME49720: Operating Voltage ( ±2.5V to ± 17V )
Punchy! Similar caracteristics then LME49860, more equilibrate but maybe an hint less refined. Fast tight punchy bass performance, an hint more warmer then LM4562, detailed total presentation, clean mids and highs, present sibilants. Good dimensional soundstage.

LME49860: Operating Voltage ( ±2.5V to ±22V )
Agile! Fast tight bass performance, clear detailed total presentation, clean mids, airy extended and an hint euphonic highs could be fatiguin with trebles enfatized iems, present sibilants. Good dimensional soundstage.

All works fine in the battery powered ZIKU but give the best in the Aiyima, where I've preferred the LM4562 to the 5532.

The Texas Instrument Burr Brown are a well known group of op amps to the dyers, to my impression all share the same warmish sound but the OPA2132P that is the more neautral and all have good instruments separation but only an average soundstage, nothing wrong but if your main goal is a great spatiality you have to look elsewere, anyway if you like a more relaxed, realistic and intimate sound this are the op amps for you, .

OPA2604AP: Operating Voltage ( ±4.5 V to ±24 V)
Equilibrate warmish! Fast tight bass performance an hint dry, warmish detailed total presentation, good body male and female voices presentation, highs airy without fatigue. Average dimensional soundstage.

OPA2107AP: Operating Voltage ( ±4.5 V to ±18 V)
Very equilibrate warmish! Tight bass performance, warmish realistic detailed total presentation, good body correct male and female voices presentation, open airy highs without fatigue. Average dimensional soundstage.

OPA2111KP: Operating Voltage ( ±5 V to ±18 V)
Neutral warmish! Deep solid bass performance, realistic detailed total presentation an hint warmish, good body male and female voices presentation, airy highs an hint fatiguing. Average dimensional soundstage.

OPA2132P: Operating Voltage ( ±2.5V ±18V)
Equilibrate! Realistic tight bass performance, equilibrate detailed total presentation, voices are an hint behind, highs airy without fatigue. Average dimensional soundstage. Due to his low operating voltage works well in a battery powered DAPs.

OPA2134PA: Operating Voltage ( 5 V to 36 V)
Powerfull! Deep solid fisical bass performance exalt midbass, warm detailed total presentation, highs airy and warm without any fatigue. Right instuments position in an average dimensional soundstage.

OPA2227P: Operating Voltage (±2.5 V to ±18 V)
Neutral warmish! Deep solid bass performance, realistic warmish detailed total presentation, full body male and female voices, open airy highs without any fatigue. Average dimensional soundstage. Due to his low operating voltage works well in a battery powered DAPs.

The Analog Devices are neutral brights opamps, detailed and clear well suited for those that are looking for trasparency and fast transients, but could be fatiguing and lakc a little of body.

AD823AN: Operating Voltage ( ±1.5 V to ±18 V)
Neutral clear! Tight fast bass performance, detailed mids/highs centered transparent total presentation, clear but lacks an hint of body male voices, extended female voices, airy sparkle highs, present but controlled sibilants. Good dimensional soundstage. This one due to his low operating voltage works particulary well in a battery powered DAPs.

AD827JN: Operating Voltage (±4.5 V to ±18 V)
Neutral! Tight extended fast bass performance, detailed well extended transparent total presentation, correct but lacks an hint of body male voices, well reproduced female voices, extended airy sparkle highs, present sibilants could be fatiguing. Good dimensional soundstage.

Muses are the JRC flagship opamps series. All share a silky detailed sound, very audiophile and well performing.

Muses 8820: Operating Voltage ( 3.5V to ±16V)
Silky! Deep tight bass, warmish silky clean and detailed total presentation, extended highs, very good instruments separation, good body natural male and female voices presentation, open airy soundstage. Present sibilants.

Muses 8920: Operating Voltage (±3.5V to ±16V)
Neutral warmish! Deep fast tight bass, warmish silky clean and detailed total presentation, extended highs, very good instruments separation, good body natural male and female voices presentation, open airy soundstage. Present sibilants.

Muses 01: Operating Voltage (±9V to ±16V)
Neutral detailed! Fast deep tight bass, neutral clean and detailed total presentation, well extended sparkly highs, very good instruments separation, correct male and female voices presentation, open airy soundstage. Present sibilants.

Muses 02: Operating Voltage (±3.5V to ±16V)
Silky neutral! Deep, fast tight bass, neutral silky clean and detailed total presentation, well extended chimey highs, very good instruments separation, natural male and female voices presentation, open airy soundstage. Present sibilants.

Sonic Scientific has launched the new family of discrete hybrid op-Amp, Oracle, which has been specifically designed for superior audio applications. This opams are audiophile grade, very detailed and well sounding.

Sonic Scientific Oracle 2: Operating Voltage (±5V to ±16 V)
Neutral detailed! Punchy deep, fast tight bass, very clean and detailed total presentation, well extended chimey highs, very good instruments separation, neutral correct male and female voices presentation,very open airy soundstage. Present sibilants.

This are my personal sonic sintetic reviews of all the opamps I've, I hope could be helpfull to choose the right one for every personal taste.

Have fun and good music to all.
I agree with most of what you say. I too found OPA2604 to be silky and creamy with no grain whatsoever. No hint of sibilance. It is however mid forward while other frequency ranges take a backseat. It would be good for someone who wants vocals to stand out.

Regarding muses02, I do not find it sibilant. It is smooth to me with a dose of musicality. Unlike OPA2604 it presents all frequency spectrums in a balanced manner, thus sounding more detailed than OPA2604. muses02 timbre is also natural and organic.

With all that said, matching is key, so I wouldn't say one is superior to the other. I like both in their own right.

I do agree on many flavors of 5532 - they are mostly grainy and sibilant to varying degrees.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 8
This resource is an excellent source of help. I have purchased bluetooth receiver with single ES9018k2m + qcc5125 (LDAC) off AliEx for 20 USD and it is still on the way but I was searching for a drop in replacement for a Chinese NE5532 (JRC?) ever since. While searching, I came across many fake op-amps which are basically relabelled lm358? Unfortunately, my only sources are Ali/Ebay. I would also like to see a technical performance comparison of those op-amps as well (rise time, THD+N, etc...). There is Oracle II listed on AE, don't know if it is original or not.

Thank you OP for taking the time to share your knowledge & experiences.
Glad to be helpfull. :)
Ali is my principal source too. I buy the same opamp by different well rated sellers looking at the reviews and do many test to be shure are original.
Pay attention some sellers write they are manufacturers and not resellers.
The simplest test you may do is to try to clean the logos on the opamps with alchool, if vanisced is shurely a fake :wink:

Chinese manufacturers use always the less expensive JRC opamps.

About Oracle II if you read well the answers and replay by the buyers in some sellers you may read them have open the opamp and to find inside the opa1612! :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 8
I agree with most of what you say. I too found OPA2604 to be silky and creamy with no grain whatsoever. No hint of sibilance. It is however mid forward while other frequency ranges take a backseat. It would be good for someone who wants vocals to stand out.

Regarding muses02, I do not find it sibilant. It is smooth to me with a dose of musicality. Unlike OPA2604 it presents all frequency spectrums in a balanced manner, thus sounding more detailed than OPA2604. muses02 timbre is also natural and organic.

With all that said, matching is key, so I wouldn't say one is superior to the other. I like both in their own right.

I do agree on many flavors of 5532 - they are mostly grainy and sibilant to varying degrees.
Thank's to share your impressions :thumbsup:

The BB 2604 show a vary good performance in the mids range with good details and giving full body tho the voices, the highs are more recessed or better to warm to stand up. The strange thing is that the bass sims a little dry respect to the others BB but are present and deep.

I agree with you about the Muse2 I use it in my AIYIMA A3 in the I/V converter position (I've change the valuating in "occasional sibilant") Really a great opamp!:beerchug:

Maybe I was a little to critic but I've try to be more honest as possible in my test and as you say probably the result may change a little in a different circuits. :wink:

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Hello everyone. I read that Op amp 2209 is great in sound. I have a question, can I put opamp 2209 instead of 5532? The schematic is attached. This is the denon AVR 3808 in which there is a Burr brown PCM 1791. Voltage Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_9001.jpeg
    IMG_9001.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9002.png
    IMG_9002.png
    648.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back