Dual mono and Balanced audio questions!
Apr 12, 2015 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

almoskosz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! :)
I found a few threads showing people's setup, and i found quite a lot of setups utilizing Dual-mono sound and amplification. I dug myself into that stuff for a day now, as I'm all into that outstanding kind of equipment, and I found myself liking it quite a lot.
So very much that I already chose which amplifier would be good to buy, that has this feature: Bryston BHA-1
Now here are my few questions i really would like to be helped at :D ^^

1. What improvement is there using this technique, compared to other?
2. Am i going to need a DAC thats balanced, or I'm good using 3.5mm jack to RCA into the Amp?
3. Do i really need to buy this expensive equipment, or cheaper ones, that are still very good have it too?

Thanks for any kind of answer, and respect to all of those who answer beginner's questions and not just Audiophile conversations!

Take care

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 11
  Hi! :)
I found a few threads showing people's setup, and i found quite a lot of setups utilizing Dual-mono sound and amplification. I dug myself into that stuff for a day now, as I'm all into that outstanding kind of equipment, and I found myself liking it quite a lot.
So very much that I already chose which amplifier would be good to buy, that has this feature: Bryston BHA-1
Now here are my few questions i really would like to be helped at :D ^^

1. What improvement is there using this technique, compared to other?
2. Am i going to need a DAC thats balanced, or I'm good using 3.5mm jack to RCA into the Amp?
3. Do i really need to buy this expensive equipment, or cheaper ones, that are still very good have it too?

Thanks for any kind of answer, and respect to all of those who answer beginner's questions and not just Audiophile conversations!

Take care

I'll answer #3.

Why not start out with a simple Amp / DAC stack and a good pair of HPs?  That will give you something to listen to while you investigate high-end equipment.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 11
  I'll answer #3.

Why not start out with a simple Amp / DAC stack and a good pair of HPs?  That will give you something to listen to while you investigate high-end equipment.

All right then. Thought I will get this answer, and i have to admit you are right, do you think Mayflower O2+ODAC would be a good choice for the Hifiman HE-400i? or maybe something else, but not above 400$?

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 11
  All right then. Thought I will get this answer, and i have to admit you are right, do you think Mayflower O2+ODAC would be a good choice for the Hifiman HE-400i? or maybe something else, but not above 400$?

That should work fine. But, is it not already in the $600.00 range?

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 11
FWIW my DV337 is a dual mono layout, its basically two 336 amps in one chassis.  The only common points in the single ended signal path are at the RCA input and headphone output sleeve.  Of all the amps in my profile the 337 with output transformers has a slight but noticeable less present center stage image.  It puts more emphasis on the far right and far left image in many recordings.  Its probably the cumulative result of many elements working together though, from the Solen coupling caps, tung-sol tubes and the output transformers.  I think it would be wrong though to make any generalized conclusive statements about the design methodology as a whole.

FWIW the Little Dot MarkV is also a dual mono topography.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 11
Both dual mono and stereo architectures provide two separate audio channels. The difference between them boils down to how you control the two channels: stereo has "common" controls while dual mono has separate controls for each channel.

There are varying degrees to which the dual mono approach can be taken - in some cases we see it only being applied to the signal path, in others it goes as far as having separate enclosures and power supplies for each channel.

As far as the expected benefits go, it concerns mostly the channel isolation (i.e. supposedly reducing crosstalk), and reduction of various side effects - especially when separate power supplies are used.

This approach is probably more beneficial in large power amps, and indeed that's where most implementations of dual mono are found. In the headphone world it may be used for squeezing the last 0.5% of performance from your entire audio channel, usually at the price of complicating your setup and quite substantial cost.

Balanced amping is a different concept: it relates to deploying two amplifiers in each channel so that positive and negative parts of the audio wave are amplified independently. A dual mono setup could contain balanced or single ended amps - depends on the design. Usually you should be able to use a single ended DAC with either, without experiencing any perceptible differences in sound. If however your setup requires relatively long cables between the DAC or preamp and the power amp, then XLR connections would handle this better.

In practice, if you are relatively new to high end audio, I'd recommend going for something simpler. Start with selecting a headphone that suits your preferences, as this will have the most significant impact on the final outcome. Then add an amp and DAC that work well with it. You can get equally good sound without having to deal with all these complexities.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 11
  Well, it would be even way over that, however I don't have that much money yet, i was planning to save up in the other case, now i would only spend this much.

Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, total with shipping is around $315.
Comes with lots of nice features, like dual WM8741 DAC chip.
USB, optical & coaxial inputs.
Separate headphone and line-output jacks.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 11
That should work fine. But, is it not already in the $600.00 range?

We misunderstood each other, but let me explain :) I already have an HE 400i, and i want to sqeeze out more performance from it, so i want to buy an amplifier. The only outstanding i found is the Mayflower o2 and odac, but mostly i listen to EDM and baroque (now thats an odd combo isnt it? :D) and people claim that a hybrid or even a tube amp does wonders with these sounds. What do you think? While i mostly like very detailed sounding and it being precise, i also would like it to sound staggering, if you get me, what do you think about getting tube or hybrid amps, could that be an option for me? :) oh yes, before i forget, my budget is 400 dollars, or preferably euros as i live in the EU :)

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #10 of 11
We misunderstood each other, but let me explain
smily_headphones1.gif
I already have an HE 400i, and i want to sqeeze out more performance from it, so i want to buy an amplifier. The only outstanding i found is the Mayflower o2 and odac, but mostly i listen to EDM and baroque (now thats an odd combo isnt it?
biggrin.gif
) and people claim that a hybrid or even a tube amp does wonders with these sounds. What do you think? While i mostly like very detailed sounding and it being precise, i also would like it to sound staggering, if you get me, what do you think about getting tube or hybrid amps, could that be an option for me?
smily_headphones1.gif
oh yes, before i forget, my budget is 400 dollars, or preferably euros as i live in the EU
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I am a fan of Schiit Audio products. Their Magni 2 and Vali amps are excellent and are reasonably priced. They have a nice separate DAC as well, the Modi 2.

And Schiit have an EU representative.

Good luck in your quest.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 11
We misunderstood each other, but let me explain
smily_headphones1.gif
I already have an HE 400i, and i want to squeeze out more performance from it, so i want to buy an amplifier. The only outstanding i found is the Mayflower o2 and odac, but mostly i listen to EDM and baroque (now thats an odd combo isnt it?
biggrin.gif
) and people claim that a hybrid or even a tube amp does wonders with these sounds. What do you think? While i mostly like very detailed sounding and it being precise, i also would like it to sound staggering, if you get me, what do you think about getting tube or hybrid amps, could that be an option for me?
smily_headphones1.gif
oh yes, before i forget, my budget is 400 dollars, or preferably euros as i live in the EU
smily_headphones1.gif

To get a quality tube or hybrid amplifier might cost you a little more then you would expect, plus the import tax and the price of a separate DAC.
eBay is loaded with low cost tube & hybrid headphone amplifiers (50-150 Euros), some are decent.

Still think you would do well with the Audio-GD NFB-15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back