Dual Core MP3 player
Apr 20, 2006 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

SECT

Head-Fier
Sorry if this is a repost, thought some might find this interesting.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/porta...yer-168144.php
& http://www.itechnews.net/2006/04/18/...nd-generation/
The recent trend of dual core CPUs in laptops is making its way into MP3 players in the form of the Teclast T19. One of the cores, the Telechips TCC 760, is dedicated to audio decoding. The other core, a Wolfson WM8750, is used to convert the digital signal to analog, which is piped to your headphones. The result of having two dedicated chips means better sounding music that’s cleaner and has less noise.

The other specs are:

…a 1.9-inch 260k colors 220 �— 176 pixels TFT screen which is suitable for you to watch MPEG1 Video, RBS Surround and Stone3D sound effects. It has also FM tuner, line-in recording functionality, eBook viewer, voice recording, dictionary and calendar.

The T19 is only available in China for RMB 599 and 699 for the 512 MB and 1G versions.

T19_1.jpg

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 21
Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't that make most, if not all, digital audio players dual core?

I believe DAPs that have video playback also have a multimedia chip and an audio chip. Wouldn't that too be considered dual core?

And dual core is supposed to have two microprocessors into one chip. Which I believe is not the case here.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 21
please quit spreading this stupid buzz-word when it comes to mp3 players... (no thanks to engadget/gizmodo)

most DAP/PMP devices include several types of processors, but this is nothing like dual-core CPUs on a desktop PC...

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 21
yeah dual chipsets for decodings. but cpu core itself, as in horsepower. i think it would make more sense to have that feature for higher sampling and video where it need mroe proccesing power. but still i dont even know why you would even need dual core for any of these basic operations, you're not running doom3 out of an mp3 player.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SECT
Sorry if this is a repost, thought some might find this interesting.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/porta...yer-168144.php
& http://www.itechnews.net/2006/04/18/...nd-generation/
The recent trend of dual core CPUs in laptops is making its way into MP3 players in the form of the Teclast T19. One of the cores, the Telechips TCC 760, is dedicated to audio decoding. The other core, a Wolfson WM8750, is used to convert the digital signal to analog, which is piped to your headphones. The result of having two dedicated chips means better sounding music that’s cleaner and has less noise.

Clearly this is not dual-core. It also annoys me to see how equally misleading the following line is.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 21
So having two completely different chips doing completely different things in a player is dual-core? Wow... So that makes the Logitech Bluetooth Headphones dual-core phones? Buy! Buy!
evil_smiley.gif

First Monolith with the "24-bit Delta-Sigma" and now this. Shame manufacturers of indifferent players have to resort to such marketing-speak... and even more shame that there are people who believe it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
So having two completely different chips doing completely different things in a player is dual-core? Wow... So that makes the Logitech Bluetooth Headphones dual-core phones? Buy! Buy!
evil_smiley.gif

First Monolith with the "24-bit Delta-Sigma" and now this. Shame manufacturers of indifferent players have to resort to such marketing-speak... and even more shame that there are people who believe it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Exactly...this isn't new. Dual core implies two cores on one processor. This implies two processores. Not new.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 21
haha, some of you need to write an angry letter to some manufacturers. Apologies for misleading anyone, and cudos to you high blood pressured gurus for setting the tone.

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #15 of 21
Please get the fact right, this ain't any dual core MP3 player and there are no dual core MP3 player on earth now.

Telechips TC770 is the DSP chip, Wolfson WM8750 is a Codec, simple as that.

Do yourself a favour and google, you will find all the information there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back