Dual card config
Jun 6, 2007 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

skinnie

Head-Fier
Hi, anyone can explain me what are the benefits of having a dual soundcard system?
For example having for music my sound card,and for gaves let's say an sound blaster 5.1,will the live improve anything?it only have eax2.0 like my aureon right?
I heard something that envy24 cards don't have hardware accleration for games..is this true?
sorry about my english
k1000smile.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 9
you put them in SLI!

ROFL....

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 9
looooll
orphsmile.gif

10.2 systems
biggrin.gif
double of the fps
wink.gif
48bits
eggosmile.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Alot here seem to recommend dual cards, or a USB Sound Card/DAC for music and a X-Fi for gaming.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 9
but if the creative card is a live it doesn't make sense or does?

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 9
i use my onboard card and my emu1212m. Onboard for gaming, and E-mu for music listening, since it has problems with a few games and doesn't have mic input.

Basicly first I go to 'Sound and Audios Devices' in Control Panel and set my onboard as the primary card and the primary recording (for the mic).

If I have an amp with only one input, then I have to connect my onboard card to the E-mu, either via digital or analog line. If there will be sample rate incompatibilities, then its better to use analog.

Now I go to Foobar and set the Output Primary to be the Emu.

Therefor music playing will be Emu1212 through foobar, but everything else will be the onboard transmitted to the emu. For movies, the software Media Player Classic can switch soundcards.

---
For dual, it is possible for the two soundcard to output sounds at the sametimes, so you can have some kind of software that utilize it, like... 10 channels.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 9
but for example,using the onboard for me is almost pointless no?the onboard will do the effects with the software right?just as the aureon...I have nforce 2 soundstorm onboard (realtek alc650 codec)

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 9
I honestly wouldn't worry about it...which ever card you use as the default in windows is the one that it will run effects through...so if your default is Soundstorm then you could setup JUST the other card for music or something...

But you cannot have one card doing EAX effects and outputing from the other card.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 9
I guess I'll stay only with the terratec :p
edit: today I saw some thread abotu the soundstorm and the cpu utilization is very low even compared to and sb live,and as I have connections for headphones,I'll put them in my mainboard,and try to use soundstorm for games and terratec for sound,I'll give a try and post results =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back