DTT 770 Pro 80ohm EQ settings?
May 8, 2015 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Izay

New Head-Fier
Before you shout and yell that I shouldn't  use an equalizer.. EVER.. hear me out. I bought my 770's a couple months ago. I'm REALLY happy with them. The subbass is amazing and they have an incredible soundstage for closed back headphones. I listen to all kinds of music, but mainly genres that fits within the EDM label (which is why I bought the 770's in the first place since they have a reputation for being really good for that). 

So what's the problem, you might ask? Well.. I have an ear thing. My right ear hear like 20% less than my left so the highs are sort of harsh (really noticable when listening to synth heavy house) on my ears. That and the mids sound abit recessed I guess. 
I've got my cans hooked up to a Xonar U7 (I know, there are better amps out there.. It was just available at the time and cheap) and I've been trying to mess around wit the 10 bar EQ that comes with Dolby Home Theater V4, but I'm going blind here. I've been reading up and the general consensus seems to be that if you are dead set on EQ'ing, then go DOWN, not up. 

I guess I'm just looking for tips. "Do it until it sounds good" won't cut it. Give me charts and DB levels :p  Thanks in advance if someone bothers.

EDIT: For further help, I always lean towards deep sounds. Because of my ear I tend to shy away from piercing synths etc and prefer music like "Bingo Players - Knock You Down (Mr. Fijiwiji Remix)". 

May 8, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 2
First, there's nothing "wrong" with using signal processing to make your music sound the way you want it to.
Second, asking for charts and levels is a bit ludicrous,  No one understands your hearing malady the way you do.  Also, the frequency bands available on your EQ might help and whether it's two channel or affects both channels.  I'm not a big fan of software EQs as manipulation occurs prior to the dac and there is a good chance to create distortion products.
An external analog hardware EQ would be a better solution.  But it really comes down to your hearing - what does it sound like to you.  Nobody can really tell you where to set specific levels.
A good rule to start would be with the higher frequencies you find harsh.  Start around 8kHz and drop all the levels by 3dB and see what it sounds like.  It's just a matter of tweaking from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back