DTS vs Dolby Digital with DH
Jun 27, 2004 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sfxjames

100+ Head-Fier
Which one is better for dolby headphone, DTS or Dolby Digital.

So far I am doing my comparisons using, JAWS, MINORITY REPORT and TITAN AE.

So far I've tried Jaws, just the very beginning first with Dolby Digital than with DTS.

Wow! The difference was like night and day.

First we start with mono sound then it spreads out to both rt anf lt channels
then the underwater sounds come closer to the front of your head, the music starts at that directional cue.

DTS, What the... First we start off with mono sound which starts to spread out to both rt and lt channels then takes shape while the underwater sounds seem to submerge you all around the head, than the music is right infront of you, as if floating alongside sound. Wow! It was as if the starting of the movie was more torwards you rather than room.

I'll be doing other comparisons soon.

Feel free to talk about how well DTS improved your DH experience with a certain film.

Jun 27, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 9
DTS is a higher quality sound compression method than Dolby Digital, so it's supposed to offer better quality through any equipment that can play it back. It should not be a surprise that DTS sounds much better.

Of course, part of depends on how well the DTS tracks were mastered, but anyway, technically speaking DTS has advantages over Dolby Digital.

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 9
Not very often do you watch a old DVD film and notice even the sonic image of the waves brush against the beach, this was just a quick listen, I'M TO XXXXX EXCITED!!!

Now if every DVD movie was DTS.

There are lot of films that should be in DTS.

There are a lot now, of course.

Could a movie mixed in Dolby Digital EX even compete with DTS

Ohh yeah that's what DTS ES is for hmm.

It's no wonder that Star Wars franchising is pushing a pipedream through a sewer pipe by adding Dolby EX to the original star wars.

Jul 3, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 9
I have just did some sound comparisons playing both intros one DTS other DD.

The difference is noticable, the clarity of the surround perspective is the difference.

Track 1: (Title scene)

DD: The sonic wave sounds bit more punchy but there is a lack of presence to the overall sound. The inback was bit muffled seeming much closer to the screen.

DTS: The sonic wave speading on both sides has a softer punch, but has some depth and a bit more presence with the Pshh!!! Noise. The inback sound seemed a bit more away from the screen in relationship with the infront sound too.

DTS seems to open up some detail as well as display sonic images that more so sound more out-of-screen rather than trapped there.

All be doing comparisons with Minority Report and later on MIB.

I saw MIB in theater in DTS so it will be interesting hereing it on headphones in DTS also. MIB in DD5.1 was not a pleasant experience, everything sounds a bit flat to my ears.

Jul 3, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 9
I concur... DD5.1 is always a flat in comparison to DTS... too bad DTS wasn't the official standard when DVD's came out. Most low-budget movies only have DD5.1 tracks.

Jul 3, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
I concur... DD5.1 is always a flat in comparison to DTS... too bad DTS wasn't the official standard when DVD's came out. Most low-budget movies only have DD5.1 tracks.

DTS is rediculously expensive compared to DD. I don't know if this is still true, but a software DTS encoder costs $100,000. And it took a lot of pressure for Digital Theater Systems to release one in the first place. For a while you had to send the audio to DTS to have THEM encode it.

Jul 4, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 9
DD is pretty impressive at the higher bitrates used on DVHS D-Theater tapes. I think they use 576k and 640k and sound much better than their DVD counterparts.

There is no reason why they couldn't use higher bitrate DD tracks on DVD.

Jul 4, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 9
You might want to try a comparison on a movie that wasn't originally recorded in mono, like Jaws.

I have often wondered how different DD and DTS are in the HTS arena. We always just go for the DTS. Never have watch a movie with headphones though. Wouldn't think of it with the system my brother has.

Also, is this through the computer or through home theatre equipment?

Jul 4, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 9
Well ever since saw Men In Black or Lost In Space in theaters, every other film I saw didn't even compare. Assuming that it WAS dolby digital sound I was hearing for the first two movies, I was too praise worthy of dolby digital, all the other films I saw were all in dolby digital, Sphere, Blade, Lethal Weapon 4, Battlefield Earthy (like watching a pilot Star Trek episode wrapped in a sci-fi skit, everyone looking like there trying walk in between their lines) The Phantom Menace, Rush Hour II, Lord Of The Rings, Spiderman. These movies were all seen pretty much in DD5.1 theaters, except X-men, if you are going to pay to see a movie and you notice a speaker missing, walk right back out and get your money back. Why pay money to see XXXXX film when the theater is missing speakers. The experience a while back with the first X-men movie wasn't to great an experience I felt something was missing on the right of the plot, now that I think of it, the plot was much better than the speakers. So I never really got to here DTS till Jaws DVD, I was one the sceptics. Wow, it seems to sound like the old experience again. I can't wait to try out with Minority Report in DTS.

The difference between jaws in dd and dts, is there. One seems to bring out the sound layers more, as well as paint a pretty picture of the subtle nuances on-screen, like waves rushing up against the beach, the band players, the crowd sounds, the music track which seems more like everything else more away from the screen and more so in your face.

It's amazing that another movie as old as Die Hard is in superbit which is high bit rate that can take both formats, that's just stunning to me. I'd rather pay 27.00 for that movie than a cheap walmart dolby digital version. DTS has earned my respect, since it actually improved movie watching for a film like Jaws.

Despite what people say, DTS is still alive in kicking appearing on DVDs like Pitch Black (YES!!!!) Alien (I love Ridley Scott, the man appreciates good sound for his movies) Gladiator, Master and Commander (DTS ES) and a lot more.

I hope more DVDs switch over to superbit as well. It would be great to have both formats for every film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back