DT's Systematic Chaos Discussion Thread
May 25, 2007 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SysteX

500+ Head-Fier
I got the chance to listen to Dream Theater's new album, Systematic Chaos, tonight. Although the listening conditions were less than ideal--I couldn't devote my entire attention to a critical listening session--I offer my initial impressions below.

The album starts out in typical Dream Theater style will an all-instrumental, highly synthesized introduction. The technique is just as impressive as ever (Petrucci is simply phenomenal, as always). The next couple of songs move into a more death metal style, with distorted vocals. Though this is not my particular cup of tea, it's nice to see Dream Theater branching out, trying new styles and sounds. By the sixth track, "Prophets of War", the sound is decidedly "Muse-esq"--rhythmic synthesizer riffs with light percussion and guitars. I love it! It's as if two of my favorite bands have joined forces. The track continues with hypnotic vocals on top of a foot-tapping beat. The next song is Dream Theater's (what seems like) mandatory epic track. Again, not my favorite style, but certainly not without merit. About halfway through the track, the vocals cut out, the beat picks up and the head banging starts. Changing time signatures over synchronized guitar and bass riffs with a good measure of Rudess' synth genius are the highlight of this song. The album ends as most Dream Theater albums do--as a technical summary of the tracks preceding it. This one in particular has everything; soaring vocals, rock solid riffs, and plenty of general pizazz.

After this initial cursory listen, it seems as if Dream Theater may have indeed renewed themselves from the (in my opinion) embarrassment that was Octavarium. I eagerly await picking up the 5.1 surround mix of this album.

I'm curious to hear about others' opinions of Systematic Chaos.

May 26, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 3
I liked it. It was definitely an improvement over Octavarium. I haven't given it a thorough listen through yet (I probably should), but I like the darker, heavier sound. My favorite is probably Dark Eternal Night solely because of that killer sevenstring riff.
biggrin.gif

The whole album is pretty interesting and fun to listen to. My headphones are out getting recabled so I haven't really been able to listen to it properly, but that should change in a few days
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't forget Symphony X's 'Paradise Lost'.....
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 3
Yea, I think my initial negative response based on the single definitely didn't do the album justice, I actually would rate it ahead of octavarium...some of the lyrics just had me dying, but that's the nature of prog. Better music, and I actually enjoyed it. Haven't listened enough to give a song by song review, but it flowed pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back