DTS or Dolby for headphone playback?
Oct 28, 2004 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Guust-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
If you were only considering movie playback using headphones and a modded av-710 (quiet pc source). Which format would you chose? Do you really here the difference in 2.1 dolby headphone downmix? I'm asking this because I use dvd shrink to backup dvd's. I only keep the main movie and I compress the video stream. I do not keep both dts and dolby digital audio because I want to retain video quality.

Video compression keeping DTS stream: 23.6%
Video compression keeping dolby stream: 17.8%

Should I keep the DTS stream at the kost of video quality?
I do not own a high-tech tv. I watch dvd's on my dell 19" monitor with a radeon 9800 pro (=nice 3d card
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 5
IMHO Dts sounds a helluva lot better. ALOT ALOT better. But thats just my opinion. The video quality loss is going to be a big hit. What I suggest is rip a dvd and then A/B test it and see which you like better.

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 5
according to your figures, the compression ratio hence the video quality difference isn't that
significant. go with whichever sounds better to you.

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 5
Hey. I was searching and found this topic.

I have a turtle Beach DSS I'm using for both movies and games. They have a Dolby 7.1 digital to Dolby Headphone converter.

Since Turtle Beach makes a living on picking out direction through audio by being a "gaming audiio" company, they emphasize direction because that's the difference between virtual life and death. That's the basis I'm judging on.

The DSS, and the X41 and X42 sound great in movies.... as long as the movie disc is natively in Dolby 7.1 or 5 1.

LPCM movies like Apocalypto, which is in LPCM. because dialog is only in pre-Columbian Mayan. Sound flat, like they just downmixed it for straight L/R and lost all surround sound data.

DTS is Worse... silence (unless I use a DTS to Dolby converter in hardware.)

But when you double translate (DTS communal -> Dolby Communal -> Dibly headphone. Done information gets lost in the double translation.

The hardware based Dolby Atmos Headphone converter in Xbox One S soubs better than the Turtle Beach DSS.. but again, only on Atmos movies. LPCM, DTS and even lesser Dolbys sound bad. A Dolby Pro Logic -7.1 movies sound better in the TB DSS than the Xbox Atmos Headphone App.

If trends, continue, I assume the best thing to buy would be a Communal to Headphone translator that turns like into like.

So is DTS headphone only good like to like, LPCM?

I do not need external communal speakers. Is there such a thing as a like-to-like universal communal to headphone converter? There are Sony toslink ones. But their virtualizer is not optimized for directional accuracy. They sound good in terms of acoustical sound accuracy.

But the problem is the directions cone ALL AROUND you instead of a particular direction.

Also, about USB surround headphones? Do they do all formats? And us there external converter processing or does it rely on what it hooks up to to convey surround?

Any universal ones with peripheral based decoders? Trying to run on a stand alone 4k+3d disc player which does not have a USB headphone out mode

By the way, if you split the output of a DSS, and send one fork to a DVD Recorder, the DVD Recorder records headphone encoded stereo surround soundtrack, which is unnoticeable from an LOCM 2 0 in communal, but maintains all surround data in 2 tracks and is replayable in surround, as long as headphones are used.

Now you can take a TV show and preserve the Dolby 5 1 on DVD-R without affecting communal stereo.

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 5
The TLDR of my last post. Dolby Surround to 7.1 movies are best in Dolby Headphones,Atmos Movies are best with Dolby Atmos Headphone in the Xbox One S, and that's all I know.

I probably conclude a like-to-like converter is best.

Does a like-to-to communal to headphone converter exist for DTS encoded movies? It would come in handy for 60%+ of my Blu Rays

... For LPCM 5.1-7 1? That would be handy for Nintendo Wii U and Switch games ( and 2 Blu Rays )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back